“Fantastic from towels to in-town location” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of 254 South Union Street Guest House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Burlington
254 South Union Street Guest House
Ranked #5 of 11 Burlington B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersGold level
Wilton, Connecticut
“Fantastic from towels to in-town location”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 20, 2011

This guest house was absolutely perfect for our needs. We had been to Burlington many times as a couple or family, but because of cost and room configuration, had always ended up staying on the outskirts. With this being an important trip to visit UVM and try out living in Burlington, we wanted to be right in the town's core. And we were! The location is fantastic: 10 minutes walk to UVM, Church Street, Bike Path. In fact, we rode our bikes all over town. Yet we also enjoyed the character of the neighborhood, house and gorgeous garden. My daughter thought I was weird when I went on and on about the cool fixtures and tile in the bathroom (including a river rock floor), and how much I loved the high quality of the towels (including awesome bathrobe) and sheets. Wonderful organic/natural toiletries as well (sooo Vermont). While I was a bit concerned going in that there was no conventional breakfast, I soon appreciated the guest house's approach of stocking the room with Vermont cheese & crackers (v. generous block), organic yogurt, fantastic granola, fruit and protein bars. There are even cute bottles of milk, half & half & OJ in the fridge, and one of those one-cup-at-a-time gourmet coffee makers. I didn't miss the sit-down breakfast at all and feel this approach was great value-for-money.
We stayed in the Guest Room and as such had a private entrance from the porch. The room wasn't huge but was absolutely fine for two people. Our only issue was that the antique lock was a bit hard to use so if you stay here, I suggest asking Cynthia or Bill to give you a lesson, because once you know the trick it's easy.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank kja88

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Northborough, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 28, 2011

My partner and I had a wonderful stay at the Union Guest House. The Master Bedroom was spacious, the bed was comfortable, and the sitting room was perfect for the rainy afternoon that we had while visiting. Bill and Cyndie, who run the guesthouse, were just wonderful. Being just a few blocks from Church Street is a great benefit.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Springfield, Massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 18, 2011

We were looking for a place to stay on short notice, and it seemed all of Burlington was sold out. Through a web search we found out about 254. My partner called and had a nice conversation with one of the owners and found out there was one vacancy left. Given our situation, we decided to book the room, even though it was more than we had been planning to spend. We then saw the mixed reviews and were somewhat concerned about what we would find. The guest house was easy to find, as it is near the center of Burlington. We first saw the gardens in the back yard, and they were beautiful. Bill was mowing, so he stopped and got us checked into the room. We found out the house was one year older than our own house, so we were glad to see some similar architectural features. Our room was on the second floor and had a great view of the lake and mountains. The room was spacious, had a comfortable bed and two chairs for sitting.. The bathroom had modern amenities while still maintaining some Victorian charm. Bill was very friendly and engaged us in a couple of conversations through the stay. We liked the location because it was within easy walking distance of Burlington Center and Church Street. It is also not too far from UVM. I am a runner, and the house is a very reasonable distance from the lake and I had no problem finding my way around the area. On the second floor landing are some offerings - fresh fruit, yogurt, granola, juice and coffee service. It was very convenient to our room and certainly satisfied any morning cravings. There were also books and magazines available in the room for casual reading. All in all, we were very happy with our stay there (and it was our first trip to Burlington and it was the jazz festival week - a great time to be there) and we are looking forward to another trip to the city and another stay at 254.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Michael51259
Baltimore, MD
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 16, 2010

This is a review of a stay at in the “guest room”. We liked the place, had a smooth transaction and would stay there again, but you need to be the sort of traveler who appreciates this type of venue. It is a room in a house. So compared to an inn there is no commons area here, no sign in front (that I could see) and a lack of the formalities such as an identified office that can make life feel predictable when you are on the road. On the other hand, the house had character and it was smartly provisioned. The owner made himself available and things went well. We might choose a different room to improve on the bed next time.

Things I liked (in no particular order)

>Great Location- close and walkable to all the action in town. Not much of the lodging in Burlington is well located. Everything is uphill from the harbor so you don’t want to be too far.

>Design- easy access. bath fixtures, racks etc all well selected.

>Provisions- Lots of towels and organic soaps etc.

>The gas insert fireplace- this is the heat and it is wonderful. controlled with thermostat
>Snacks are provided in a little frig- I’m not really much for big, long breakfasts so I prefer this sort of thing. The cheese, apples and crackers were yummy.

>The owner was friendly and helpful

>Responsive communication

Other comments

>The bed was too soft for my older body. But, somebody else might call it comfy

>Room would be a little small for a long stay

>According to the website, some of the other rooms offer continental breakfast, so it is easy to miss the fact that this room does not when you are making the reservation.

>I thought the cancellation policy of forfeiture of one night’s deposit (within two weeks) – even if re-rented, was a little high-handed. I originally vetoed this property for this reason, but found no other acceptable lodging- so changed my mind

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
San Rafael, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 16, 2010

Room was very cozy and comfortable and the small bathroom was absolutely gorgeous with upgraded fixtures. We stayed two nights and they did not come to clean or change the linen or towels. They could have told us so we could have at least made our bed. The heater in the room was on all day and the room got so hot. I could not find a thermostat in the room so there was no way to control the heat. Our suitcases cooked over the marble bench that covered the heater. The front stairs and driveway are poorly lit so it is easy to miss the place at night. There is not enough parking in the back so we had to park on the street, down the block which was very inconvenient especially since it was raining. There also were dogs on the premises so there was poop all over the walks and parking area. It was gross trying to maneuver around it. Lastly, we could not get internet access.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with friends
Cary, North Carolina
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 14, 2010

This is actually a "guest house' meaning you don't really get the niceties offered from a true B&B such as afternoon cookies/pastries/sitting areas/video library/sit down breakfast, or a common area for guests to mingle or sit and read or such. The house is an historic building dating back in the 1800s I believe with lots of peeling paint. I'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt and assume they are getting ready to repaint it. Located in downtown Burlington it is extremely close to the house beside it and we heard every conversation people had coming and going. Across the street are offices of some type. Burlington is very much a college town so kids drive their bikes alot up and down that street. We drove up a narrow drive and around to the back of the house. Nothing interesting or particularly well landscaped back there, although the next morning I did see a sitting area out back on the small hill. The back area where you park is not very well lit and is all gravel. Try rolling your luggage through gravel!! Not fun! (and it was lightly raining when we arrived)

We were greeted by a girl who was hired to stay there for the night since the owners were both out of state at the time. At check in we were told she would be on the premises for the night, but unavailable to us! HUH? I asked for her cell phone in case we had a question/need/emergency and she refused. We were told to call the out of area owners who would handle it. Not sure why she stayed on the premises then.

Our room was on the first floor which had its own porch. The room was fine and rather eclectic with used furnishings but perfectly acceptable. The idea that you could walk right out your room to a wrap around porch was a nice bonus. The bathroom was tiny but had been updated with new tile and modern fixtures and river stone floor in the shower. THere is coffee in the room and a small refrigerator with some local food items.

Since the girl who checked us in told us she wouldn't be available when we left in the morning I was told to leave a check on the nightstand. Well by morning my cell phone had died and I couldn't access the invoice that had been emailed to me, no one answered the door and neither of the owners answered their cell phones. It would have been nice if they had placed an invoice in the room, along with the internet password. Then the onus would not have been on me to locate all this information when all I want to do is pay and leave. Payment is cash or check.

I think I paid 185.00 for the night which didn't seem out of the range for places that time of year. However, for that money I'd like breakfast!

• Stayed September 2010
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Easton, MD
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 12, 2010

Loved the inn and Burlington! We stayed in the master bedroom and it was pretty, pristine clean and comfortable. Bill & Cyndie were perfect hosts and the location was good for walking around the cool town of Burlngton.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Burlington
Hilton Garden Inn Burlington Downtown
Courtyard Burlington Harbor
Green Mountain Suites Hotel
Green Mountain Suites Hotel
#2 of 13 in South Burlington

Been to 254 South Union Street Guest House? Share your experiences!