“Fifteen to thirty seconds of amazement!!”

World's Tallest Filing Cabinet
Ranked #15 of 78 things to do in Burlington
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Reviewed April 7, 2014

After reading about this place, I HAD to see it! My boyfriend and I were staying in the Burlington area for a long weekend and he was kind enough to indulge me.

It's a strange sculpture of - you guessed it - filing cabinets that are welded together to make a really tall tower of...um...filing cabinets. It's down a residential street into an industrial/corporate building area basically on the side of the road. There are no signs, no fan fare, just the sculpture.

The "tour" consisted of us pulling over to the curb, putting the car in park, getting out of the car, snapping a few photos (careful not to get the telephone pole in the shot), then back in the car and off to our next adventure.

Glad we went because it's goofy, random and funny!!!

6  Thank Julia H

Reviewed March 30, 2014

This is not a very good attraction, it is an excellent one. Hit this attraction up before or after you visit Switchback Brewing which is right down the same street. The file cabinet offered us minutes of fun on our way to the brewery. You will post pics on FB and your friends will immediately be jealous of you.

7  Thank OswegoMatt
Reviewed March 9, 2014

Yes, it's still there. Sitting in the middle of a field. Just sitting there and rusting. Of course, no way for anyone to really use it, there don't have the world's tallest step stool next to it! But it's good for a laugh.... because it's just not really expected!

2  Thank TravelAdviceCA
Reviewed March 7, 2014

Definitely worth seeing for us. Really makes you ponder and reflect on the state of things. It's right by the Lake Champlain chocolate factory, so you can go see it while you're waiting for the next tour.

3  Thank Emmmapeel
Reviewed February 20, 2014

I first heard of the World's Tallest Filing Cabinet right here through TripAdvisor as I was browsing for things to do during a day-trip to Burlington. I love discovering odd & interesting things about the places I visit, so this attraction fit perfectly into my itinerary. Where else would I have the chance to see something as artistically outlandish as a huge stack of office drawers?

After walking nearly an hour from my hotel to Flynn Avenue in the city's south, I stopped for a quick coffee at the Pine Street Deli before getting out my camera and continuing up to the towering office equipment. And I wasn't disappointed. There, by the side of the road in an otherwise everyday industrial area were 38 vertically-stacked filing cabinets reaching well toward the sky.

They've been there since since 2002 so they are admittedly getting a little rusty, but it remains a fitting representation of one man's frustration toward bureaucracy. Although there is no information at the site, some post-visit research led me to discover it was constructed by a local architect named Bren Alvarez as a response to the council's delay in constructing a particular section of road. At the time, it had been 38 long years since the road was first proposed so Alvarez thought it fitting to represent each of those years in terms of filing cabinets, plonking the resulting artwork in the centre of where the road was to be constructed. Needless to say, construction of the road still hasn't begun.

To be honest, there's nothing much else worth visiting in the vicinity, and being a few miles south of the city, I wouldn't really recommend it if you don't have your own transport. However if you're like me and you're interested in these kind of odd/unique local attractions, this is a great place to visit for a few photos - plus it's a great story to tell to your friends!

PS: bear in mind the title for the "world's tallest" is contentious - apparently there is a similarly huge filing cabinet in Napa Valley, California.

1  Thank danschaumann