“Farm to Table.”

Ranked #3 of 242 Restaurants in Burlington
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed July 23, 2014

Hen of the Wood was a fun place to eat and drink. The restaurant has wonderful fresh food. Everything is small plates....which gives you just the right amount to eat and encourages you to order more and more.....

3  Thank diane32724
There are newer reviews for Hen of the Wood

Reviewed July 20, 2014

My family shared 6 of the small plate meals. The Vermont cheese plate was tasty. I loved the strawberry-rubarb tart for desert.

Reviewed July 20, 2014 via mobile

Had a great meal there. We did small plates. A great way to sample their creative fare. Great house wines. Very expensive. Reservations a must.

Reviewed July 20, 2014

All things come together in this near outstanding restaurant. Would give a rating of 4.5 overall. The decor and setting is inviting. Service is impeccable and the food is delightful, made and presented with imagination.

1  Thank 312samu
Reviewed July 16, 2014

Excellent meal here, which is what we expected and we were not disappointed. Hen was a pioneer in the farm to table movement - I've wanted to go for years, but we are not locals. So with plans to be in Vermont for a week on vacation, I was very happy to snag a reservation for the four of us. Hen lived up to it's reputation, it did not disappoint, au contraire!

The menu is creative, inviting you to mix and match small and large plates for sharing, or not - for instance, do not share the hen of the wood mushroom toast - no, absolutely not, you want one all for yourself, you may in fact want two - absolutely fabulous, with their special bacon and the beautifully cooked egg on top, yes, order two, and remember, don't share!

All of our dishes were excellent including the scallops, the redfish, the roasted cauliflower, to name a few. We especially enjoyed the local cheeses. Hen has a wide selection, raw and pasteurized, cow and goat - our charming server was instrumental in guiding us toward a selection of three which we absolutely loved. Don't miss the desserts. The strawberry rhubarb tart was truly special - a thin crumbly pastry tart crust, perfect, with the rhubarb cooked to a soft consistency, just the way I like it - with some rhubarb desserts, the rhubarb is al dente but, meh, I don't like that - here, yum, perfection. Another huge dessert hit was the selection of their own ice creams, frozen yogurts and sorbets. You pick three flavors, and each flavor is served in a precious small individual dish, which is good as each flavor is distinct. The basil ice cream was delicious, but my two personal favorites were the verbena sorbet and the meyer lemon frozen yogurt. Yes, verbena. WOW, loved it - on my spoon I mixed a bit of the lemon with the verbena - I should have asked if I could take home pints!

1  Thank lexmiller