“Very good. Creative, local organic meal”
Review of Hen of the Wood

Hen of the Wood
Ranked #3 of 242 Restaurants in Burlington
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed July 1, 2014

Really enjoyed the ambiance in downtown Burlington. Very friendly, solid menu, with local food in season. Great service. A nice addition to the really good restaurants in the Burlington area.

Only recommendation is to cut back on salt. My rabbit was too salty to really enjoy its flavor and texture.

Reviewed June 30, 2014

I do not see excellence often, but Hen of the Wood really got it right. These folks have the Farm to table experience down to a science. BRAVO! We went with friends on a busy Saturday night and had an incredible meal. Every bite was heaven. The quality and preparation of each dish was fantastic. The high quality ingredients along with an expert mix of flavors was imaginative and expertly handled by the kitchen.
We started with Grilled Octopus with sun choke ginger and scallion, not exactly local but executed perfectly. The house made mozzarella with crispy ham grilled zucchini, olives and basil was a delight as was the salad of fresh greens, shaved goat cheese walnut radish and mint.
Entrees were Grilled Zucchini and Erengi mushrooms with ricotta, fava beans and pine nuts. Rabbit loin with roast cauliflower celery root and pickled Strawberries. Cooked perfectly this was a WOW! and The Acadian Redfish with English peas, carrot, capers and preserved lemon was just lovely.
We had Sides of Swiss Chard with mustard creme fraiche, and the Parker house rolls all delicious. For Desert we sampled the Maple Opera cake and the pot de creme. Heavenly. The service was beyond attentive with out being annoying. The atmosphere is trendy and nice, if not a bit loud. However No detail was missed all night. It was a truly wonderful dining experience. This is not an inexpensive place but absolutely worth the extra for a great evening. I don't give out excellent reviews often or lightly. This was one of the best meals I have eaten in a while! Enjoy!

Reviewed June 24, 2014

This was our first time at the new Burlington Hen of the Wood. It was up to the extraordinary standard of the food at the original Waterbury location. Creative dishes are based on superb ingredients. Presentations are not architectural, but every dish was very creative, drawing on the best flavors of mostly local ingredients in combinations that mixed the innovative and the classic. One can spend a good bit here but one can also have an amazing meal at reasonable prices. The space is very bustling with tables close together, so perhaps not the place for a quiet romantic meal. But probably the best food currently served in Burlington, among the very best in Vermont, and on a par with any farm to table we've tried anywhere.

Reviewed June 22, 2014

The moment we walked in this restaurant, we knew we would have a great night!
We sat at the bar; the barman was really nice; always there at the right time to offer us something else.
Food was delicious; even though it's a little pricy.
Great experience, great food, great night!

1  Thank isa5353
Reviewed June 15, 2014 via mobile

Just to start .... I travel for my kids sports and my daughter is an incoming freshman at st mikes. I have 4 years to try all of the Burlington hot spots. I started tonight with the oysters. I'm from NJ and have great oysters at the right time. These were good from the seafood prospective but were great for the sides. Fresh ground horseradish superb cocktail sauce. I added the cucumber small plate that was so tasty I didn't want to finish it and wanted it to last forever. I'm waiting for my hanger steak and I'll keep you updated.

1  Thank Lynn Z