“Nice lunch on the terrace”
Review of Nika - CLOSED

Nika
Cuisines: American, Italian, Mediterranean, Wine Bar
Good for: Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Description: Nika is a Mediterranean restaurant and wine bar. A large, custom built, wood fired oven is the centerpiece of the restaurant. It’s a wood-fired gathering place, that has been welcoming friends and guests at this location for 21 years. NIKA opened March 25th, 2013 on Church Street Marketplace. (Former location of Three Tomatoes Trattoria established in 1992) NIKA serves lunch and dinner daily beginning at 11:30. The wine bar offers great selection of wines by the glass, and imaginative cocktails.Pasta dishes from Italy, spice-rubbed lamb and kabobs from Greece, olives and cheese from Spain, breads and spreads from the Middle East, salads, and soups as fresh and bright as southern France, wood-fired oven specialties, homemade sausage, signature pizza, and inspired daily specials for lunch and dinner.
Montreal, Canada
“Nice lunch on the terrace”
Reviewed October 14, 2013

We had the Nika burger that was very good and the fries were in the best I ever had. The shrimps spaghetti was very good to.

Visited October 2013

Miami, Florida
“Outstanding tastes and presentation!”
Reviewed October 2, 2013

We headed out to Vermont, from Miami, and once we arrived in Burlington, this is the first restaurant we ate at. It was a nice cool night, so we decided to dine outside. The tables and chairs did not lend the sense that something amazing was about to come, but it was getting late and we were hungry. The menu was a little more exciting, but once we ordered, our evening exploded with flavor!

We must say, the waiter was totally strange and it seems, has zero understanding of food or finances, it actually made us laugh! I'll tell this story in a minute, want to get to the food first.

I ordered the goat cheese appetizer and was pleased to see how it was presented. I thought the goat cheese looked a bit unusual, but I took a serving and put it on delicious toasted bread. Wow! As it turns out, it was blue cheese, but unlike any I have ever had. We were told it had truffle in it.. not sure what it all was, but it was outrageous! The small arugula salad that accompanied it was also awesome. A dollop of jam also came with it which was unknown but great tasting.

Bread was not served, so we asked if we might have some and the waiter said ok, if we want it. We were thinking.. is there a charge? The bread came without oil or butter, so we asked for butter and were told it would cost an extra $3! So we changed to olive oil, which was also $3! My husband said never mind, and the waiter finally came back with some butter in a little bowl and said he found some "regular butter" in the back! It was great tasting! There was no charge for the bread and the "extra butter".

We both ordered the rack of lamb and it was cooked perfectly and delicately flavored! A very good choice. It came with toasted couscous and roasted cauliflower. The couscous was flavorful, but dry, sort of like eating some that had been left out for a while. I think there was also eggplant in there, not sure but it was good. Cauliflower was ok. The portion was nice for the price ($25) but if we had not ordered a Ceasar appetizer and the goat cheese, we would not have been full.

The Ceasar was really good! Back to the waiter... the menu said Nika Cesar, with lemon vinaigrette, so I asked him if the dressing had garlic, which of course I expected. He said no. It was $9 so I decided I didn't want to chance not having the taste I was expecting. We didn't order it but then he returned and said he checked, and there was garlic in the dressing, but not in the salad, ha! We ordered the Ceasar and it was spectacular! I didn't think it was big enough for the price, but I kept eating it and it seemed to be bottomless. Fresh sliced parmesan was a wonderful addition.

We want to include that the "water" was truly delicious! We were told it was filtered. I would bottle it! We never even looked inside, but just having looked at Nika's website and seeing the dining area, we will definitely choose to return and have another dinner.

So... the waiter. Well, first, when we mentioned that Ceasar salad always has garlic, he looked at my husband and said boldly, not Nika's. Then he didn't bring the bread, we had to ask for it, and were uncertain whether we had to pay for it since we had to pay for the butter. To be told the salad didn't have garlic but the dressing does.. haha! The best was when the check came and we were charged $29 for the rack of lamb. My husband said there was an error, and that it should be $25 as stated on the menu. The waiter said well, that includes tax, haha! Tax on each food item? He took the check and came back with it corrected and told us we were right. That was a fun interesting adventure!

• Visited October 2013
“A Gem on Church Street”
Reviewed September 30, 2013 via mobile

It was Parents Weekend in Burlington and Nika was a perfect choice. A great place to people watch. Diversified Menu and Wine List. I completely agree with the high ratings and can not understand the low ones. We had the roasted eggplant with golden beet salad. The wine was a lovely Albariño. The wait staff was well trained and the food was delivered on time in spite of the huge crowd.
A fun place to eat on Church Street.

Halifax, Massachusetts
“Expansive Mediterranean cuisine in Vermont”
Reviewed September 23, 2013

My husband and I went to Nika for a weekday dinner. It is fabulous!!
We sampled the Asparagus soup with creme fraiche, Papparadelle & Veal Ragout, Chicken Kabobs, and warm chocolate cake with coffee ice cream. All were high quality and delicious.
The owner stopped by to greet us as he circulated in the restaurant. We commented on his attention to detail - not just the food, but the restaurant. The ceiling has Cork panels to provide acoustic softening - and it does seem to work for this lower level room that could otherwise be very noisy.
This is a must go restaurant when you are in Burlington!

1 Thank suzlib
Jacksonville, Florida
“As average as the rating”
Reviewed September 21, 2013

We finally got to sit at this place outside on a Friday night. Of four items ordered, including wine, three were completely uninspired. We found the wine by the bottle to be pricey and out selection to be way to fruity. The fries were not up to even McDs standards, the pizza had no distinction, no separation of flavors. My wife did like her mixed green salad with broccoli rabe.

The price points on the menu are too pricy for the meal we received. The staff was pleasant, if really busy. We are going to wait awhile to return, to see if the can get it right.

1 Thank Michael C