“Unbelievably Bad Service”

Ranked #60 of 242 Restaurants in Burlington
Cuisines: Delicatessen
“Unbelievably Bad Service”
Reviewed July 22, 2012

The owner of this place is all about himself, and not about the customers. His sandwhiches are really good, but he will spend 10 minutes talking to people hanging out in the cafe and completely ignore you standing right there trying to order something. I've eaten here twice, and both times I had to wait for almost a half-hour for my sandwhich. Astonishingly, the place WASN'T busy at the time! WTF? It's a SANDWHICH, not Baked Alaska. There's absolutely no reason that a sandwhich should take a half-hour to make.

The last time I tried to eat here, I ordered a sandwhich and waited 10 minutes for it, and then was told that they were out of sour kraut and couldn't make that. They offered to make me me something else, so I said okay. Five minutes later, they came back and told me that they were out of bread. But they offered to make the same thing for me as a salad. I said fine. He came back to me a THIRD time. As a joke, I asked him "What's the matter? Are you out of lettuce or something?" And he yes, "Yes, I'm sorry, but we're out of lettuce." He then offered to go the grocery store and buy some lettuce if I'd be willing to wait another 30 minutes.

I walked out. And I've never been back since.

• Visited November 2011
1 Thank KAMangan

“Truly a hidden gem”
Reviewed April 26, 2012

The owner produces some of the tastiest and most creative sandwich combinations I've ever seen, including several excellent vegetarian options. And the space is a delight of funky decoration.

Visited March 2012
1 Thank mull-it
Burlington, Vermont, United States
“Unreal”
Reviewed April 25, 2012

This place is like a good trip. A small, inconspicuous door leads to a cavelike room. You walk in, and you don't know how, but the next thing you know you're savoring the last bite of the most delicious and mysterious sandwich you've ever had. What was in it? You have no idea, but you don't care. It's that good. When you walk out, you'll wonder if you've imagined the whole thing. The happy ending- it's real.

Visited April 2012
Burlington, Vermont
“Well worth tracking this one down!”
Reviewed January 5, 2012

I first came here 4 or 5 years ago and at the time they only took cash. I believe this has since changed, but I brought cash last time just in case. The food is delicious and is made using whole ingredients right before your eyes. Simple dishes with great flavors at reasonable prices. This spot is a bit out of town so is more popular among the professionals who frequent it during their lunch hour but it is definitely well worth tracking this one down!

Visited August 2011
1 Thank JMTvt
“frequent patron”
Reviewed November 14, 2011

I am a Burlington resident who frequently purchases sandwiches to go from FCOTE. They are truly unique and delicious, with a genuine international flare. I don't think they take credit cards, but do take cash or checks. They do have a few tables. It is off the beaten track, off Pine Street. Well worth a visit.

• Visited May 2011