“Terrific Restaurant”

Cuisines: American, Diner, Contemporary
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast
Reviewed June 14, 2006

My husband and I were returning to San Diego and had quite a few hours to spare in Burlington. We decided to go to the Penny Cluse Restaurant because we had read a very positive review on it. A rainy day - long lines - we were told it would be about 1/2 hour and got seated within 15 minutes. Once seated, away from the bustle of incoming patrons, everything seems to quieten down. The atmosphere of the room comes to life. Breakfast was wonderful - could easily share it. Quality ingredients; excellent flavor; healthy eating. The fresh squeezed tangerine juice had citrus popping in your mouth. Will definitely go back to this restaurant on our return to this city.

8  Thank iracansue

A TripAdvisor Member
St. Louis
Reviewed June 9, 2006

We came to Burlington to visit family who have been here for about a year. I like to use TripAdvisor as well as tips from the "locals" to find neat places to eat that my folks have never been to. Penny Cluse Cafe made that list...they had never been because of the long waits but I insisted....nothing else to do on a rainy day. The wait was 59 minutes,,,,the hostess said it would be an hour. One of our party of four stayed posted at the waiting area (not required) while the rest of us strolled Church Street. The menu has a good variety of breakfast and luch selections...many containing ingredients not found elsewhere. The food was fresh...i would bet that some of it was "organic." The food was a little to healthy for my party but I found it refreshing from the normal venues. If you like good food go......if you like Denny's, dont' go!

5  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed January 13, 2006

I just had brunch there this morning. Penny Cluse has great food and a nice, open atmostsphere. I highly recommend it!

2  Thank RTWtraveler
Reviewed June 22, 2005

We visited Burlington for a couple of days and decided to go here for breakfast the first morning. We had to wait for 20 minutes to sit at the counter and it was well worth it. I had the gingerbread pancakes with blueberries and they were delicious. We automatically were given iced water and the coffee just kept coming. My husband had the large fruit plate and boy was it large! In fact we enjoyed our breakfast so much that we went ther the next day as well!

5  Thank no1riggie
A TripAdvisor Member
Colchester, VT
Reviewed June 12, 2005

Delicious food, great busy atmosphere! It is worth the line that regularly forms outside!

2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member