“GREAT food”

Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast
Burlington, Vermont
“GREAT food”
Reviewed October 1, 2012

My favorite breakfast place in the area. Great food, wonderful specials, cool artwork, and a business that consistently gives back to the community.

Visited September 2012

Burlington, Vermont
“Quality ingredients, friendly service”
Reviewed September 28, 2012

I have to start off with the fact that I hate to wait in lines for food, and I don't believe anyone should wait over 30mins for their breakfast, so IMO, the long waits are not worth the payoff here or anywhere. That said, this is THE PLACE for breakfast in Burlington. The best coffee from uncommon ground, the best huevos rancheros, and biscuits and gravy! Everything is awesome except two things: Their toast doesn't really get toasty and they love to serve crispy bacon. I like mine chewy. I almost always order the chorizo and egg tacos and substitute spuds for the beans. It is unbelievable! Two huge tacos filled with egg, cheese and chorizo crumbles, with a mound of spuds, as well as a scoop of guac, pico de gallo, and red cabbage. So filling and yummy. My three year old and one year old love it too. Pancakes and eggs. Just would love some kid appropriate flat ware and plates. Anyone else noticing how many restaurants do not have cups, plates, and silverware for kids?

Texas
“5 stars is NOT enough!”
Reviewed September 27, 2012

I was going to spend one day in Burlington and eat at only 1 place. I did my research (right here on trip advisor) and based on reviews--picked this restaurant. I was traveling from Texas and visiting sister and mother in law in New Hampshire. The day trip to Burlington was our one day together to enjoy some early fall foliage. We had late breakfast-early lunch here (about 11:30). After parking in the lot next door (free parking for first 2 hours), we walked up the street to go in. I was already in love with the place and hadn't even walked in the door! The outside is so inviting and the coffee cup hanging from the top is too cute for words. We were greeted with smiles and brought to a table. The smell was so heavenly I literally almost passed out. I had perused the menu online already and had decided I was going to get the gingerbread pancakes. The smell in the restaurant was something else (apple something????) and I started thinking I might have to order whatever it was. I glanced at the chalkboard next to us and saw the specials. At the top of the list was "apple bread french toast with applesauce and sour cream"-That HAD to be what I was smelling!! Now, I was torn. The french toast OR the gingerbread pancakes. I asked the server what he recommended (I always ask and trust them). He said, "Well, you can get single pancakes and the french toast too". OMG--I Love You! He then asked how many pieces of french toast I would like--since I was going to have a pancake, I asked for 2 pieces instead of the full order of 3. Perfect! Next question--I want a side but can't decide between ham or home fries. He said the home fries are REALLY good--SOLD! I actually really wanted potatoes to begin with but the ham sounded good too. My mother in law ordered the same thing and sis in law got the chicken stew with biscuits. When our food came it looked as good as it smelled! Having real Vermont maple syrup (I was in Vermont after all) on the table was a bonus. Everything tasted as good (better) as I anticipated. The gingerbread pancake was definitely my favorite--just the right amount of flavor and so fluffy and light. The home fries were honestly the best I have ever had. I had a bite of sisters chicken stew and it was TO DIE FOR! Seriously, if I had to pick a last meal--gingerbread pancakes AND chicken stew from Penny Cluse Cafe would be it! You can truly taste the love that is put into each plate that is prepared. EVERYTHING about this Cafe was amazing. From the outside decor to the servers to the kitchen chefs to the FOOD! I will definitely be eating here again if I ever get back to Burlington. If you only have time to eat at one place on your trip here---THIS IS IT!

Buffalo, New York
“Great Bfast”
Reviewed September 25, 2012

Wow, where to start. Both my wife and I were very impressed with this place. Everything that we had you could tell that the folks took their time in the preparation of quality food. My wife had the buttermilk pancakes and I had the buckwheat pancakes with blueberries with a slide of homefries and pork sausage. Everything was outstanding...the homefries were especially fantasic. Great attention to detail right down to the "real" maple syrup and Vermont butter. I wish that we had a place like this in my hometown. GREAT JOB !!!!

Fort Worth, Texas
“There is a reason that this is the #1 on Trip Advisor”
Reviewed September 18, 2012

Absolutely the best breakfast I possibly ever had! Biscuits and gravy are the BOMB! Tried to get the recipe, but it is still a secret! Very friendly staff, quick, great food! French toast was also great! Not your typical chain restaurant! Everything homemade, and you can taste it! I would HIGHLY RECOMEND!