“good range of beers, if they're actually available. poor service”

Vermont Pub & Brewery
Ranked #45 of 246 Restaurants in Burlington
Cuisines: American
Good for: Large groups, Bar scene, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed July 13, 2014

We stopped here for cold drinks, i.e. cold beers, on a sweltering hot day in Burlington. They did have outdoor seating with parasols, but it was way to hot to sit outside, we wanted the air-conditioned interior to cool off a little.

We explained that we only wanted drinks and did we need to sit at the bar, the hostess said that no as they weren't busy right now we could sit at a table. Our server on the other hand obviously had issues that we only wanted drinks and not food.

I ordered the Beetlejuice, a wheat beer, it was lovely and cold and refreshing. They didn't have quite a few of the beers that my husband had been interested in, they were out of quite a lot of beers on the menu, whatever he did chose in the end he did enjoy. Our friend had wanted the shandy, but they were out of the beer that they made the shandy with, no alternative was suggested and he ordered a diet pepsi in the end! Afterwards we wondered why they couldn't just make the shandy up with a different beer? We asked the server this when she brought our drinks back, she said they could, so why didn't she suggest this then??!!

We didn't see her again, we had to flag her down when we wanted more drinks, she passed by but never glanced at our table to see if we needed anything else. Our friend decided to order one of the strong fruit beers, but he only wanted a small glass, he ordered a small glass and she brought over a large glass. Again when we wanted the check it took a while to get her attention.

Would I visit again? Possibly. The beer menu was fairly long and varied, and I'd like to give a couple of the others a try. Having said that though they may not always have them available as they were out of quite a few on our visit. The food menu looked like standard pub fare, but would probably work quite well with a few beers. Service did leave a lot to be desired though so that would put me off returning a little bit.

Reviewed July 9, 2014

We needed a place for our entire reunion to get together -- 24 people in all. The manager was extremely accomodating and helpful. They gave us a section of the restaurant and we never felt rushed. The waitress was upbeat and kept track of the multiple checks and seat changes. Food was delicious and prices really affordable. Craft beer of course was great too. I had a portabello mushroom sandwich -- delish. Options for vegetarians, meat eaters, fish n chips pub food, etc. Highly recommend.

Reviewed July 7, 2014

The Watermelon beer was very refreshing. The music and atmosphere is like traveling back in time to the best parts of the 90s and we really enjoyed it. The Food prices were excellent, even though the food is pretty much bar food. It was clean and enjoyable.

Reviewed July 5, 2014

We really went for the beer, but wound up getting a snack as well. The beer choices were varied and unique - get a flight so you can sample the full range of the menu. The thing that really sits out in my memory was the Vermont Cheese plate. It was a sorry looking piece of lettuce with a sliced apple surrounded by 6 pieces of cheese and a few Saltines. I was expecting more. It tasted OK, but the presentation was very poor for something that was supposed to be all local.

Reviewed July 1, 2014

It was an average experience.

I got there late afternoon on Sunday. It was really hot so I chose to eat inside, though they did have a pretty good live singer outside.

My waiter could not have been less interested in me. The place was less than 1/3 full but getting his attention was tricky. I had to ask for a glass of water twice. I waited for the check longer than the entire eating experience.

I explained it was my 1st trip and asked if they had beer flights which he explained they did: they come in 4 3oz samples or 6. I tried to engage him to find out what the best ones were he just said "I'm not really sure". That's it. That's ALL he said until I spoke again.

When he brought the beer I had 4 3oz sample of mediocre WARM beer. Not cold. Cot cool. Warm. It was if he got the silly glasses fresh out of the dishwasher and let the cold beer steep in the heat a bit before bringing it to the table.

To eat I ordered the "cajun wings" and the hot Reuben sandwich. Both were average bar fare. There was no "cajun" in the cajun wings. They were traditional Buffalo Wings (I'm from Buffalo) with no cajun seasoning whatsoever. The Reuben was also average with warmed up pre-cut deli meat.

Weirdest part of the visit to the brewpub: After I sat waving my credit card hoping to catch the waiter someone finally asked me if I wanted another beer. My answer was "no" but for a brewpub they should be asking that question about 15 times per hour.