“If you sit by a window it's great”

Shanty On The Shore
Ranked #24 of 242 Restaurants in Burlington
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Description: We are a locally owned and operated restaurant located on Burlington's waterfront. We specialize in the freshest seafood but also offer burgers, steaks, and vegetarian items. We have Burlington's only raw bar and the best views of Lake Champlain. Come on in, we look forward to meeting you.
Reviewed November 3, 2012

Go early so you can sit by a window. The view will bump the experience up a whole notch. Food and service were fine, but not something to rave about across the board. Some of us had very good dishes, but others were just OK, e.g., salmon platter was a winner, broiled haddock was not. The sunset over the lake was awesome, however, and it was a wonderful place to enjoy a meal together.

Reviewed November 1, 2012 via mobile

Just what the name and looks of building imply

My broiled seafood platter was tasty and served hot. Broccoli was cooked to perfection.

Ate early and host seated all at the windows regardless of the size of table vs the number in the party. Thanks for this kindness for those of us who often eat alone.

A very pleasant meal looking across the lake at a spectacular fall sunset.

Server was fast and took good care of me.

Reviewed October 30, 2012

We stopped by thinking it was going to be one of those quaint restaurants with good food. Nope. My husband's food was cold. I ordered the salmon which was okay, but my side was also ice cold. The service was awful! Skip it!

1  Thank mcmteach
Reviewed October 28, 2012

I have been going to the Shanty for years. Just went back to Burlington for a visit and had to have some of their fried clams. They offer clams with "bellies" on which is hard to find in most places and I think is the best possible fried clam. I ordered the appetizer plate instead of the main course because I really didn't want all the fries and fixings. I got a very generous portion and they were as good as I remember. My mother had the clam chowder and it was some of the best I have ever had. Fun to be at the waterfront AND great service.

Reviewed October 23, 2012

Had seen the Shanty a number of times during our most recent and earlier trips to Burlington, but had never tried it, largely because of the very mixed reviews and so-so rankings on Trip Advisor. This time we were looking for seafood, so we decided to give it a try and were very pleasantly surprised! We had a very friendly waitress who provided great service, the view overlooking the lake at sunset was awesome, and there was no wait. Best of all was the food! The clam chowder was superb, and the broiled seafood platter and the lobster mac & cheese were both great, and key lime pie was a great finishing touch. Be sure to ask for a table in the back room on the lake.