“Very good, maybe not quite up to the hype”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of A Single Pebble

A Single Pebble
Reserve with OpenTable
A Single Pebble is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #16 of 239 Restaurants in Burlington
Cuisines: Chinese
Good for: Large groups, Kids, Special occasions, Families with children, Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Between St. Paul and Pine
Arlington, Virginia
“Very good, maybe not quite up to the hype”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2013

During a recent weekend visit to Burlington we decided to make dinner at Single Pebble the one fancy meal of our visit, on a Saturday night. The place was busy but we had no trouble getting a reservation through Open Table, and were seated promptly at our reserved time. We started with the Peking duck and steamed chicken dumpling appetizers, which were quite good, and our main courses were copper well noodles and the fish of the day (hake with vegetables). The noodles were great, zesty and hot, and the fish was perfectly cooked if a bit bland (and not worth $25). All told we had a very nice but not awe-inspiring meal. We were tempted by the green team creme brulee for dessert but were full so we passed. In the future we might return for lunch when the prices seem a bit more reasonable, but probably not for dinner.

• Visited May 2013

New York
“Condescending staff, not so good food”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 17, 2013

It was our first night in Burlington and I was very excited to dine at A Single Pebble after reading rave reviews. I love Chinese food so I was expecting a very good meal. As soon as our waitress introduced herself in an over-the-top phony-friendly but condescending manner I had a bad feeling. It started with the soup. My partner who is vegetarian (except for seafood) but does not like tofu, wanted soup to warm up. None of the options that appealed to her could be made non-vegetarian. I do not understand how, if the "Chop Your Head Off Soup" was made fresh for each diner, it could not be made without meat. We asked if she could just have broth with noodles and we were told no. While my partner went without soup, she ordered the seafood springrolls instead. The were decent but reminiscent of fish and chips. We ordered the Mock Eel and enjoyed the strong flavor of the mushrooms but it made all of the other food taste bland in comparison. For the main courses we got the three pepper scallops. They were mushy and didn't appear to be seared as was stated in the menu. We were disappointed that they did not have a peppery kick. They were in a very mild almost flavorless sauce. We also ordered the lemon sesame shimp which was also very bland. The unseasoned coating was topped by a sweet lemon sauce. The noodles were flavorless but for the slight bit of lemon sauce on them. The whole dish could have used some salt. We ordered coconut ice cream oand berry sorbets, both served in sesame cups. The desserts were very good. As far as the atmoshphere goes, it was nicely decorated but I couldn't help but to mention to the very nice, very tall bus boy that the display case right above my head had tons of cobwebs underneath it. I was pretty disappointed with our experience there and would not go back again.

• Visited April 2013
1 Thank TeeRose731
Rutland, Vermont
“Awesome Food & Atmosphere”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2013

Excellent food and drinks! Great service! Try to Mock Eel!!!!!!! Love to order just appetizers and share. Another favorite are the pancakes! So good.

• Visited January 2013
Barre, Vermont
“Best Chinese Restaurant”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 31, 2013

I am so glad they are finally open for lunch. I've been to many Chinese restaurants and I have lived in big cities including DC and Tokyo. This one is the best Chinese that I have been to. The menu items are not your ordinary cheap Chinese. All intiguing ingredients and creative flavors. Lunch menu is full of interesting choices, small plates, noodles, and rice plates whch include a spring roll, a main dish and steamed rice and lunch prices are very reasonable. The jasmine tea in a cast iron pot is a big plus.

• Visited March 2013
“Most authentic Chinese in the area”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 30, 2013

We are never disappointed in Single Pebble until we get the bill. As someone else mentioned, the prices are high. They get away with it because they are creative with the food, and super busy.

The menu is creative and certainly does have a lot to offer my vegetarian friends and meat-eaters alike. Also, portions are meant for sharing and usually sized accordingly.

Their method of serving food is bring items out as they are ready, rather than wait until it's all done. So DIG IN. Don't wait for everything to show up. It's a nice way to eat more slowly. There rarely is a lull between eating and more food arriving. They simply clear what you're done with and bring other things you ordered. A cup of steamed white rice always come with your meal, as does a small starter of mixed nuts.

Some of the items we repeatedly order: Dry fry green beans; egg drop soup (with shrimp...soooo tender); Hot and Sour soup (my daughter eats it every where she goes when she travels and claims this is the best she's tasted) [PS- soup is about a quart for ~$10. It's a LOT of soup]; Mock eel (actually mushrooms, 3 soy sauces, sticky, crispy, savory); Crispy lemon chicken (surprised with this tasty dish); 3 cup chicken (almost like boneless chunks of teriyaki chicken wings, only fat-less). Sesame noodles were just meh... so-so. Nothing extraordinary. Double garlic eggplant is GREAT, as is the deep fried version; Buddah's Sesame Beef (actually seitan), crispy and savory.

DEFINITELY make a reservation, either online from their website (EASY to do) or call. Weekend's are extremely busy and often people are turned away. There are seats to eat at the bar...but not something to rely upon.

EXCELLENT attentive service. We often get servers who are very knowledgeable about the specials, and the menu items, the ingredients, and how they are made. KUDOS to the management for such excellent training! Great for large groups, couples, kids, families, friends. Giant lazy Susan's on most of the larger tables for sharing dishes. Pleasant atmosphere. I'm a regular. I highly recommend this restaurant!

• Visited March 2013