“Very nice French bistro, should deserve 4.5 rating”
Review of Leunig's Bistro

Leunig's Bistro
Ranked #16 of 242 Restaurants in Burlington
Cuisines: American, French, Italian
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: College Street
Transit: The Free Downtown College Street Shuttle stops across the street from Leunigs
Reviewed February 1, 2014

Such an authentic French bistro that you would be moved to speak French at this restaurant. Silly idea, as the restaurant is in fact in Vermont. The menu is filled with traditional Quebec fare and the website invites friendly Canadians to visit. The decor is very much French in character. The service was very friendly, the prices were fair. The food was as advertised, no more, no less. If you want Asian fusion or otherwise experimental cuisine, find yourself a different restaurant. We were simply happy at this one. The place was quite busy and for a good reason, as it is clearly very popular in Burlington with nice central location right on pedestrian only Church street. The parking garage is minutes away and first 2 hours are free.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,311)

Reviewed January 30, 2014

We've enjoyed brunch at Leunig's several times (love the charcuterie plate and the duck tacos!), but have not had dinner in a while - we won't wait as long to go back! We had a reservation (almost a must), and were seated within a minute or two. Our server was pleasant and helpful; we find the staff are appropriately attentive without hovering.
After much debate we settled on shared duck pate with house crackers, then beef bourguignon and cavatappi carbonara with smoked
chicken. The duck pate arrived as two small balls, each resting on a large crostini; it was dense, had a wonderful rich flavor and was just a bit crumbly - in other words, darn near perfect! My partner had enjoyed the beef one day for brunch, and ordered it for dinner. It arrived in a black "cast iron" pot - beef, vegetables, garlic mashed potatoes and haricots verts; he said no knife was needed, the meat was so tender. My deceptively-deep pasta bowl was filled with perfectly al dente cavatappi with roasted Vermont chicken, smoked bacon and peas in the creamiest, most scrumptious creamy Parmesan sauce I've ever had! We have leftovers, and plan to enjoy them on the weekend.
We finished with dessert - a Leunig's S'Mores Tart (featuring homemade marshmallows) and a piece of Blue Ledge Farm (Vermont) Camembrie. The tart was actually cute, and the graham cracker and marshmallow very good; my partner is not a big chocolate fan, so will probably order something else next time. Leunig's has an excellent selection of 10-12 Vermont artisan cheeses, and they're definitely worth sampling! Each is fully described, so even someone new to Vermont cheeses can make an informed choice. Having dined very well, I chose just one and was rewarded with an exquisite ash-rind cheese, served with house-made crackers, bing cherry compote, and fresh fruit (grapes, apple, strawberries). It was the perfect ending.
Enjoy Leunig's - it may cost a couple of dollars more (literally), but the atmosphere, service, and especially the food are worth it. MAKE A RESERVATION!

Reviewed January 28, 2014 via mobile

We live in Boston and arrived at Burlington today. We decided to stop at this place for dinner in a very cold (12F) day.

Was a good surprise. Very charming and not far from Hilton where we are staying.
We had a local cheddar cheese for appetizer and we both liked.
We also asked for the filet Mignon and my wife for the ossobuco.,
The 1/2 bottle wine was good.. A bit pricy! With tip $120.

My wife and me liked the meals. I would rather if the Sauce would not be sweet.. I really don't like sweet food.. Should ask the waiter first.. I don't recall that the description
mentioned that was sweet.. :-(
But good quality meet.

I found food and drink taxes high .. Almost like Canada.. around 10%.. But not the restaurant fault.

In summary romantic place with good food.. Next time i will try something without a sweet sauce..

Reviewed January 23, 2014

When hanging out in really very cold Burlington ,this is a must. The classic onion soup is a superb,beef broth, smothered with a blend of gooey cheese delight . If dining alone or with another choose a table on the corner looking out at the street and sights. The escargots are fantastic. The maple creme brûlée to die for, seriously. Oh , and the service, quite nice, though my server neglected to pour from my bottle of wine. Almost lost an "excellent" rating on that

Reviewed January 11, 2014 via mobile

Visited for a celebratory meal on a busy Friday night. Myself and fiancé ordered an appetiser and entree each. Both appetisers were incredibly salty but fresh and hot.
The entree we both chose was beef borginon. There was very little meat in the dish and the mashed potato it was served with was lumpy.
I feel it was way over priced for the quality and quantity of good provided.