“Birthday dinner with an old friend”
Review of Leunig's Bistro

Leunig's Bistro
Ranked #16 of 243 Restaurants in Burlington
Cuisines: American, French, Italian
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: College Street
Transit: The Free Downtown College Street Shuttle stops across the street from Leunigs
Reviewed February 2, 2013 via mobile

After shopping Church street for almost five hours we couldn't decide where to eat. We decided on Leunigs.

We started with drinks in the lounge, where they had snacks that looked delicious. Lemon drop martinis that were perfect cold, not too sweet, and the perfect amount of snap.

We then got to sit in the cutest little nook of the restaurant where we felt like we were the only five restaurants in the whole place.

We started with duck frites. Graham cracker crusted fried duck nugget strips. And this maple, ginger, soy, scallion sesame oil dipping sauce that was yum! Wished they sold it by the bottle.

Then we had a the salad on the bottom of the list not sure of the name, but we had it with the ahi tuna. Pomegranate seeds, pine nuts, beets, goat cheese, maple dressing, over micro greens salad. Again a home run. Perfect size for sharing.

Dinner came and it equally delicious and nutrious. I had the red pepper jelly glazed salmon with an herbed whipped cream cheese, sauté of baby spinach, and this grain called freekeh pilaf. This grainh was absolutely something I would want again. The spinach couldn't have been cooked better. Only complaint the red pepper jelly didnt put out tr heat I thought it was going to. Even with that said the salmon was wonderful.

My friend had the filet Grilled beef tenderloin, caramelized onion yukon smash, truffle &wild mushroom ragout, asparagus & himalayan pink sea salt & parmesan compound butter (stolen from their site). While I do not eat Beef it looked great too.

And since it is my birthday we split the creme brûlée for dessert it was equally smooth and custardy.

That was the food. The waiter and overall service was so good. Can not possible express how good this experience.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,326)

Reviewed February 2, 2013

What a find! On the day my boyfriend and I were leaving to head back home, we wanted to find a place for coffee and breakfast. Little did we know when we wandered into Leunig's, that we'd have more than just a java and bagel.

The atmosphere is absolutely charming and the service is impeccable. Halfway through our coffee and hot cocoa, we began eating our Eggs Benedict and nodded while we ate. It was hands-down the best I'd ever had.

We had been talking about a return trip to Burlington even before we'd left, and Leunig's is definitely a major pull back!

Reviewed January 30, 2013

My partner and I enjoyed our meal of poutine, onion soup, arugula salad and chocolate dessert (its name escapes me) very much. The atmosphere was very nice- it almost felt like we were in a Parisian café. The table that we were seated at was ideal as we had a nice view on the pedestrian street and also, we weren't too close to the other patrons which we would have been at several other tables. The poutine was very good and made us feel that we were eating a somewhat more refined dish than usual. The only aspect that could be improved upon was the service which we found to be nonchalant and cold, the waiter seemingly bored with his job.

Reviewed January 24, 2013

I almost said 'best poutine in America,' but I'm sure somewhere in Canada there must be poutine as good. We had the poutine and skewers of beef and shrimp as appetizers. The beef was delectable. It was tender and well cooked, and the shrimp was succulent. For diner I had cauliflower steak and my wife an acorn squash purse stuffed with (among other things) ricotta cheese. Everything was excellent. The food is simply outstanding, and I did not go away hungry. This the second time we've eaten there. The last time predates my TripAdvisor account. On that occasion we had fantastic duck tacos for lunch. Both times the food was wonderful, but both times the service was just OK. It's odd. On both occasions the server was genuinely rude. I can't remember who the server was last time, but when we told her that Panna also sold bottled still water she retorted 'I wonder why I never heard of it then?' As if to imply we were lying about it! Last night's server's name was John. On several occasions he, although indirectly, made it very clear that the diner's schedule of events were not proceeding according to his plans, and that he was quite put out by it. Imagine that! Here I thought that because we were paying that he was there to serve us, not the other way around. In any event, you may luck out and get a good server. At the every least if you can tolerate a bit of pretentiousness from a waiter then you won't regret it. The food is that good!

Reviewed January 24, 2013

We have visited Leunig's new upstairs lounge area twice. We love the atmosphere and can easily put together a light dinner from several appetizers, which makes for a less expensive evening. Last week we spent $50, including three drinks, and we left feeling full. Call ahead to make sure it's open--sometimes they have private parties--and on the weekends go on the early side if you don't want to wait.