“Great sandwiches, slow service”

Red Onion Restaurant
Ranked #56 of 242 Restaurants in Burlington
Cuisines: Delicatessen
Reviewed September 4, 2012

I had the namesake sandwich - the Red Onion, and it was absolutely excellent, made with freshly baked bread. Great spot for lunch to dine outside on Church St.

The service was very, very slow though....So good spot if you have some time to kill getting a sandwich...

1  Thank lauragp
There are newer reviews for Red Onion Restaurant

Reviewed August 21, 2012

My husband and I stopped in for sandwiches on our way back to Montreal. Church Street was under renovation, so our meal was devoured by an open window in front of the room, accompanied by several inquisitive flies and the sound of a jackhammer (which I understand the resto can't do anything about). Our order was taken in an abrupt manner. One young man took my sandwich order (the Reuben), asking me what bread and meat I wanted, but it was very hard to hear him over the construction sounds outside and he looked impatient when I asked him to repeat himself. He then left without taking my husband's order. A second, friendlier, young man came to take his order, only to be shunted aside by the first fellow, who appeared and said, "these are my guys." We went to sit by the window, though in retrospect, we'd have chosen the small outdoor seating area out back to be away from the hurlyburly in front. We waited about 10 mins for our sandwiches, which were large, hearty, and delicious. As we were leaving, my husband asked a nearby staff member where we should leave our trays, and he pointed at three buckets on the floor about midway through the room. We stood over them, while more flies buzzed around the discarded food, and dropped the leftover food in one bin, recyclables in another, and tray in a third. Truthfully, it was a poor way to end a meal, even a casual one, standing over open refuse in the middle of an eating establishment. We like the food, though next time, we'll anticipate the lack of service and just take our orders to go.

1  Thank MaryJane_Caro
Reviewed July 15, 2012

Red Onion on Church Street is very small. Many people do take out. In nice weather you can also eat outside which is nice. Their sandwiches, salads and soups are excellent and they'll make things to order if you don't want their pre-selected items. They also have very naughty baked items for dessert. If it's a long line, it's worth the wait and the line goes fast. There's a reason why it's a long line, it's all good.

Reviewed June 17, 2012

A great spot to pick up a quick lunch and enjoy the outside weather on church street. The sandwich they are named for is their best by far.

Reviewed April 5, 2012

They use fresh, interesting ingredients. Always have a vegetarian option, a great special. Great soups. The sandwiches are huge (so go with someone you're not embarassed to eat in front of!). The cookies are to die for, too, so don't skip that!