“Upscale tavern menu”

Cuisines: Barbecue
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed October 27, 2013

The Blue Bird is an upscale - but not too much so - tavern, with standard tavern/pub offerings and some nice dinner choices. The menu is small but diverse enough to give you choices. My husband had the smoked spaghetti (spaghetti with smoked bacon and parmesan cream sauce). It wasn't particularly smoky but he liked it. I had the chicken under a brick (pan seared) with sweet potatoes and swiss chard. It was very good: the chicken was juicy and tasty. The Blue Bird is a good place for a casual dinner or drinks and appetizers.

Reviewed September 29, 2013

Had dinner with two companions one Friday evening. Very creative menu and well prepared food. Service was excellent. Locally sourced provisions. Innovative cocktails with a reasonable wine and beer list. We had beet salad, pork bellies, lamb. Appropriate and fair tariff. Would go back.

Reviewed September 1, 2013 via mobile

On a recent trip to Burlington, Blue Bird Tavern caught our eye for their interesting menu and their local, seasonal offerings. We were really excited to see what they had to offer.

The decor and atmosphere of the restaurant were great! An awesome bar with a good selection of "crafty" local and semi local beers. (Also "Not crafty but so good" PBR, props.) The ceilings were industrial with cool looking lights and the tables were semi rustic with ladder back chairs. There is an open part to their kitchen where I think they did our calamari and boards.

We were really pleased and everything lived up to our expectations until we got our food. Although most of it wasn't bad, it wasn't good either. It was kind of anti climactic ( except for seaweed salad, which was delicious.)

One thing that I didn't like was their calamari. It might be just an artistic flare that I didn't enjoy, but it seemed a little over done and maybe just a little over floured.

Our server was attentive and didn't seem to mind that we didn't order drinks. Overall a pleasant but anticlimactic experience. Hopefully next time(?) we will get to see more of their local offerings.

Reviewed June 4, 2013

We had been to the Blue Bird when it was in Winooski and decided to try its new location. We went there for Brunch and ordered a Burger and poached eggs, a beer and bloody mary. The bloody mary is pretty fantastic.. The beer was good, but the menu listed it as $4 and we were charged over 5. The burger was ordered as Medium Rare and came well done. The fries were over done and looked like the dregs of the bag (small pieces that were way too hard). I did mention this to the waiter who promptly ignored me. The poached eggs were done perfect and were quite tasty.

Overall, for the price that we paid for this brunch, I would have expected higher quality and for them to actually care that they ruined my burger.

I would not go back here.

Reviewed May 30, 2013

Our family of four went to the Blue Bird Tavern on the Saturday night in May before Mother's Day. Even though we had reservations at 5:30 pm , the place was pretty empty when we checked in. The hostess showed us to a table right in front of the door to the kitchen. I politely asked her to move us to a quieter spot and she did. Our waitress who was very pleasant came and took our drink orders which were just sodas(no free refills).
We ordered a roasted beet salad which did not have enough dressing on it so it was rather dry. We also had the carrot soup and clam chowder which were delicious. For our main entrees, we had the double lamb burger which came plain on a bun with a big side of french fries; 2 orders of the flat iron steak with sauteed ramps( kind of like green onions) and an order of their PEI mussels in a garlic broth. The steaks and ramps were very good although we did find a piece of wax paper mixed in in one of the ramps side dish. The mussels were just okay. They were rather on the bland side.
I must say that although the server was nice, the service was very slow and the place was not that busy yet. When the server came to clear the dishes, she piled all the dishes onto the plate with the mussel broth and caused all the broth to spill onto the floor next to our table.
For dessert, my red velvet cake had that refrigerated taste to it and wasn't very good, the chocolate mousse was hard like Play doh but the apple crisp was good and the chocolate torte was the best out of all the desserts. It took a LONG time to get my coffee which I would have liked with my dessert.
Finally when we go the bill, they charged us for fiddleheads which we did not order. We then had to wait again while they took the charge off. I was rather surprised that during this whole time that the manager never once came over to see how everything was. Between the broth splashing all over floor and finding paper in our food, they did not seem to care at all. This place was not cheap and we expected better food and service.
We have heard good things about this place but we didn't experience it that night.