“Needs some improvement”

Ranked #39 of 242 Restaurants in Burlington
Cuisines: Barbecue
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Transit: Bluebird Barbecue is serviced by bus by Burlington's CCTA transit system using the Riverside/Winooski route.
Description: Thank you for checking out Bluebird Barbecue where we celebrate American Regional Barbecue with a Vermont twist! Our all natural meats are slow smoked on premises in our 1.5 ton Souther Pride Smoker and are paired with traditional barbecue sauces and sides made from scratch. Relax, unwind, and enjoy southern style barbecue in one of our many dining rooms that can accommodate groups of all sizes. Our menu offers large "family style" platters perfect for group gatherings. During the summer months dine out on our screened, enclosed porch with Winooski River views. Our entire barbecue menu is also available for take-out.
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Needs some improvement”
Reviewed August 26, 2012

The atmosphere was great and a lot of fun. The only ting that I did not like was the service. It appears that they are still working out a little bit of kinks. Our waitress was obviously over stacked and hard time balancing the number of customers in her section. I went with a party of 5 and the wait was said to be about 40 minutes and it only took 25. The place was packed. Will defiantly be going there again sometime.

1 Thank Served_cold

montreal
“innefficient seating system”
Reviewed August 25, 2012

Although we requested a table for two, we were told the wait time would be 20 minutes. As we waited at the bar we noticed some unoccupied tables for two and asked if we could sit there. We were told that those tables were reserved. After we got our own table we noticed that those tables were still unoccupied even after 45 minutes. My point is this: If you have a paying customer ready to dine should not he/she be given a table? Scrap the reservation system! Also, I noticed that the restaurant was crawling with noisy kids due to some gaming tables that were placed in and around the bar. It's not very pleasant to hear the excited sounds of kids playing games while you're out on a date. I thought this would be a serious rib joint but it's too family-friendly for me.
A couple more comments about the food itself: the ribs were wonderful, but the presentation of the platter was very disappointing - the starch sides (mashed potatoes & mac 'n cheese) were probably the smallest we have ever had...ever; and someone has got to do something with the bread - whose idea was it to serve a piece of sliced bread (as in grocery store quality) that was ever so slightly warmed up? We've been to numerous rib restaurants around the U.S. and Canada and at the very least, we've had a nice slice of garlic toast!
Will we go back? Maybe for rib take-out only.

• Visited August 2012
1 Thank gerry g
Milton, VT
“Excellent food!”
Reviewed August 21, 2012

Went to the Bluebird BBQ for the first time. It was packed and it was a Tuesday night! The service was spectacular and the food was even better. We tried the roasted chicken and the ribs. Both were superb. The sides were to die for. I tried the applesauce, which tasted like apple pie in a dish, as well as the braised greens which were cooked to perfection. My wife had the mac n cheese with cheddar mashed potatoes, again YUM! We will definitely go back. Very reasonable prices as well.

• Visited August 2012
1 Thank Tammy M
Colchester, Vermont
“Hoping for improvement”
Reviewed August 20, 2012

While this is a new establishment and they may still be "figuring things out", I feel the need to post this review here as a few criticisms that I (and others) have emailed them about have gone ignored. First, the brown paper they serve food on soaks up sauce and shreds apart essentially becoming part of the meal. Second, the burnt end special I ordered showed up cold, I noticed at least one other review that mentions this, it is inexcusable (especially since it was the featured special). While I am still hopeful for this establishment they have ignored constructive criticism and are still charging people are higher price than their quality deserves. They can't ride the hype of the "Bluebird" name forever, so I am hoping to see some changes.

• Visited July 2012
2 Thank Matt G
Plymouth, Massachusetts
“Everything we wanted, everything we needed, superlative service and Hill Farmstead on draft!”
Reviewed August 19, 2012 via mobile

I got the locavore special, she got the chicken. Everything was flawlessly prepared, and the service set a new standard. Best of a was the Hill Farmstead Edward on draft.