“Lunch is great.”

Cuisines: Nepali
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed October 13, 2013

Food is delicious and such a bargain! for $8.99 I had a nicely spiced Tibetan ice tea, potato cakes with a yummy red sauce, and lamb vindaloo. The lamb was very tender, served with a large mound of rice and some flatbread. It was all yummy. Service was gracious and no one hurried us. Will definitely return.

1  Thank vt&nyc

Reviewed October 12, 2013 via mobile

Honestly, all the other waits were too long, so we wandered in here. The tikka masala and veggie dumplings were out of this world. Decent prices, and generous portions. Really glad I came.

Reviewed September 4, 2013

During our visit to Burlington last month (August, 2013), we were walking around town looking for a place to have some lunch, and noticed the standard restaurants on every corner - many lovely looking restaurants - but looking at the menus, they were the typical restaurants you see in any town. Lots of burgers, steaks, seafood, etc... and they seemed a little pricey for our budget since this was a last-minute getaway for us. For some reason most of those restaurants just don't appeal to us that much.

So, we asked someone on the street if there was any Indian food in town since we enjoy eating Indian wherever we can. He pointed out that while not exactly Indian, there was a nice little Himalayan style place called Sherpa Kitchen - and told us how to get there. So we went over.

We were delighted to see an unusual style of lunch menu - all for about $9 - where you could choose your appetizer (they had about 4), entrée (they had 6 choices), and a beverage. It looked like a fun way to try lunch.

I choose the daal soup, which I found to be somewhat similar to the soup I like so much at Shalimar (in North Conway) - a little more "just daal" without as much additional vegetables and spice, but delicious (I just like daal I guess)! Then, I just had to try the Saag Paneer, which is one of my favorite dishes. It was a bit different than the Saag Paneer I get at Shalimar and other places in that it leaned more toward the cream than the spinach - in other words, a little soupier - but it was still yummy, and quite rich with plenty of paneer.

John tried the Pakora (deep fried onion) and he liked it - so did I (I tried a couple bites). For his entrée he had the Lamb Bindalu and asked for it "pretty hot" (wanted to be careful after a WAY too hot vindalu on a trip to England some years ago) - and he said that it was spiced the way he liked it. He thought it would be too hot for me, but I tried a small bite, and thought it was pretty tasty.

We both had the chai tea, which was prepared the way we like it - lightly spiced with milk.

The server was very friendly - and it's funny, as we walked by the restaurant again a few hours later, he recognized us and waved and smiled.

The portion sizes were perfect for lunch, and it was a fun stop on a perfect day. We would most certainly go again!

2  Thank AbundantOne
Reviewed September 3, 2013 via mobile

We were excited to try Himalayan cuisine even though the reviews were mixed. Unfortunately, it seemed that the negative comments were spot on. The service on a weeknight was agonizingly slow and Inattentive with little guidance to helped shape the order. The result was a mishmash of a meal. The dumplings were a bit doughy and would have been better as an appetizer than a big platter. What was advertised as a stew looked much more like a soup. The bread which came out halfway through dinner was more puffy dough. All in all, not a memorable meal - at least not one we would like to remember.

Reviewed September 1, 2013

Our family loves Indian food, so we thought this would be a good bet. It definitely didn't live up to our expectations. The service was best thing about it. The decor is very basic. There was nothing about the food to bring us back. The vegetable samosas were not nearly as flavorful as we've come to expect. The veggie momo was OK. The veggie stew was a little bland but otherwise OK. My husband and son weren't keen on the channa massala. Perhaps we've just learned that we prefer Indian to Tibetan:-) With all the other restaurants in Burlington, we would not go back to Sherpa Kitchen. Ah well, you live you learn...