“A must see with children while in the Burlington VT area.”

ECHO Leahy Center for Lake Champlain
Ranked #4 of 75 things to do in Burlington
More attraction details
Owner description: ECHO is a dynamic, nationally acclaimed, lake aquarium and science center committed to engaging diverse public audiences and providing experiential, relevant and lifelong educational experiences for all our guests. Founded in 2003, ECHO houses more than 70 species of live animal ambassadors in Vermont's first LEED certified building. This innovative science center and aquarium displays life in the Champlain Basin and inspires visitors to positively impact the world around them. ECHO is the public face of the Patrick and Marcelle Leahy Center for Lake Champlain, a 2.7 acre environmental campus on the Burlington Waterfront.
Useful Information: Stroller parking, Activities for young children, Food available for purchase, Wheelchair access, Activities for older children, Stairs / elevator, Bathroom facilities
Underhill, Vermont
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 47 helpful votes
“A must see with children while in the Burlington VT area.”
Reviewed March 22, 2013

Your children will really enjoy the exhibits which change often and some are hands on. Be prepared to spend several hours as they will not want to leave.

Visited November 2012

Ottawa
26 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 58 helpful votes
“Better than expected!”
Reviewed March 14, 2013

We were looking for something to do in Burlington and came upon ECHO. We were surprised by the quality of the permanent installations as well as by the moving exhibit. The staff was quite knowledgeable and friendly. We loved the frogs and turtles. As a bonus, the view of Lake Champlain is quite stupendous. Hint: on their website you can get a code word to give you a discounted entry.

Visited March 2013
3 Thank Julie C
Vermont
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“My kids love it!”
Reviewed March 12, 2013

We have a family pass so going for an hour or so on a rainy day is doable. I don't know if I'd be as happy paying full price every time we go, as my kids (2 & 4) usually run thr0ough it in ab0out an hour, granted we go frequently enough so that they are familiar with everything.

Visited January 2013
1 Thank serendipities7
mitchellb
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 28 helpful votes
“WASTE OF TIME AND MONEY”
Reviewed March 10, 2013

We had been hearing about this place through co-workers, websites, advertisements, etc and decided to give it a shot. First of all for 2 adults and one 3 year old it cost us something like $36 thats right its like 10 bucks for a 3 year old to get in. We had planned on spending probably 1-2 hours there. We were disapointed the ENTIRE time. We were able to see the entire place twice in a half hour. My 3 year old was bored and so were we. We went with friends who had an older child and their child too was bored. We had gone to the Boston Aquarium the previous year and spend just a little more than this to get in and it lasted a heck of a lot longer. I wanted to ask for a refund at the end because it was nothing to see, calling it an aquarium is false advertisement for sure. This was the most dispointing and frustrating outing we have ever had! We will never visit again and we will be sure we inform others about this place too because nobody should ever waste their money on this place. Now, if it was a free exhbit it would still be boring but not nearly as frustrating as the huge cost for nothing.

Visited March 2013
7 Thank mitchellb1984
GSmart802, Public Relations Manager at ECHO Leahy Center for Lake Champlain, responded to this review, March 12, 2013
Dear Mitchellb1984,

Thank you for coming to ECHO and for taking the time to share your opinion of our aquarium and science center. I am personally distressed that you found it less than acceptable, enjoyable and valuable. Hard words to read, to be sure. I would like to talk with you about your day in particular to see if I could glean how your experience spiraled so badly. We are always trying to better our best and input from people, especially those who are not satisfied, is very valuable to us and where we can improve things we certainly will. My office number is 802-864-1848 ext. 125. Though I'm off site today, I will be back in my office tomorrow and available most of the morning. I would really like to chat with you if you have the time and I would like to send you three free day-passes to see if we can get you back to ECHO and improve your experience. Would you be willing to send me your mailing address?

Again, thanks for taking the time to review our Aquarium and I certainly hope we can change your opinion and move you to become one of our ambassadors.

Best regards,
Yakima, Washington
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Interesting Local History”
Reviewed March 3, 2013

Great place to spend a few hours even during winter storm. Very informative about the history of Lake Champlain and its importance as a trade rout to NY. Also lots of activities for kids.

Visited February 2013