Tripadvisor

Ranked #73 of 266 Restaurants in Burlington
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Large groups
Dining options: Reservations
Description: El Gato Cantina, is a traditional Mexican restaurant offering authentic Mexican cuisine to Burlington and Essex Junction, Vermont. The philosophy at El Gato Cantina is to make delicious food with traditional Mexican family recipes. We now have two locations! Visit us in downtown Burlington at 169 Church Street, or visit our NEW restaurant on 4 Park Street in Essex Junction, VT. Our menu consists of tamales, carnitas, fresh salsas, chili relleno and at least 10 different kinds of tacos and more. We take pride in our elote (Mexican grilled corn) and pozole, (the ancient Aztec soup of pork and hominy). Behind the bar we are fully stocked with a wide range of tequilas including some our house-infused tequilas made with jalapenos, oranges and our daily infused tequila specials. We offer delicious vegetarian and gluten-free Mexican dishes and source our food locally whenever possible. Dine in a casual atmosphere with a traditional Mexican Cantina feel. Join us today for a tasty Mexican meal the way Grandma used to make it.
Reviewed 1 week ago via mobile

I wanted to try the local flare and stumbled upon El Gato. Cute place in a neat part of town ... tacos were very good and I REALLY enjoyed the house made hot sauce!!

Date of visit: January 2020
Write a reviewReviews (195)

Reviewed November 29, 2019 via mobile

Let me try to explain how bad this place is. My visit was with my wife and adult son, at 2:00 on a Friday.

1. The worst part of the experience is the food. Both my wife and I had two tacos, ala carte, at $5 each. The tortillas were dried out, and the fillings meager and tasteless. The shrimp were dried out and the beef hard and totally flavorless. The beef was especially bad, as it came with just a sprinkling of cilantro, nothing else. No cheese, lettuce, or salsa. Dry tortilla and dry meat. Ugh.

But my son had it worse. He said his burrito was just fair — but a little while later, he threw it all up.

2. We waited 10 minutes to order and 35 minutes for the food to come. And the place wasn’t busy.

3. Our waitress was nice enough, but not very attentive, especially given our long wait. But the real problem was elsewhere, in the kitchen, which was very slowly turning out bad food.

Please, do yourself a favor and don’t eat here.

Date of visit: November 2019
Reviewed November 29, 2019

Our son wanted Mexican so we went to El Gato for lunch. Our waitress brought chips ad salsa and took our orders. My son ordered a burrito and my husband and I each had two tacos. Then we waited...and waited...and waited. 35 min. later our food finally came. The tacos were the most tasteless and dry ones we had ever eaten. My son said his burrito was mediocre. No gripe with our waitress- she was fine. But a definite thumbs down on everything else. To top it all off, as soon as we got home my son threw up his lunch!

Date of visit: November 2019
Reviewed September 2, 2019

Definitely acceptable food and presentation but not especially memorable. When in Burlington and in the mood for Mexican this is our place. Outside seating a plus. Decent drinks.

Date of visit: August 2019
Reviewed August 28, 2019 via mobile

Went to have lunch here on Monday, but sadly was unable to eat the Burrito, rice and beans I ordered. The entire dish was so salty you literally could not eat it. I brought this to the servers attention and he basically blew me off. No apology, no action whatsoever. Really Sad!!! Won’t be going back and won’t be recommending El Gato Cantina to anyone, ever!

Date of visit: August 2019