TripAdvisor
Burlington
Post
Inbox
Search

“All around a decent stop”
Review of El Gato Cantina

Ranked #71 of 265 Restaurants in Burlington
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Large groups
Dining options: Reservations
Description: El Gato Cantina, is a traditional Mexican restaurant offering authentic Mexican cuisine to Burlington and Essex Junction, Vermont. The philosophy at El Gato Cantina is to make delicious food with traditional Mexican family recipes. We now have two locations! Visit us in downtown Burlington at 169 Church Street, or visit our NEW restaurant on 4 Park Street in Essex Junction, VT. Our menu consists of tamales, carnitas, fresh salsas, chili relleno and at least 10 different kinds of tacos and more. We take pride in our elote (Mexican grilled corn) and pozole, (the ancient Aztec soup of pork and hominy). Behind the bar we are fully stocked with a wide range of tequilas including some our house-infused tequilas made with jalapenos, oranges and our daily infused tequila specials. We offer delicious vegetarian and gluten-free Mexican dishes and source our food locally whenever possible. Dine in a casual atmosphere with a traditional Mexican Cantina feel. Join us today for a tasty Mexican meal the way Grandma used to make it.
Reviewed September 2, 2019

Definitely acceptable food and presentation but not especially memorable. When in Burlington and in the mood for Mexican this is our place. Outside seating a plus. Decent drinks.

Date of visit: August 2019
Write a reviewReviews (192)

Reviewed August 28, 2019 via mobile

Went to have lunch here on Monday, but sadly was unable to eat the Burrito, rice and beans I ordered. The entire dish was so salty you literally could not eat it. I brought this to the servers attention and he basically blew me off. No apology, no action whatsoever. Really Sad!!! Won’t be going back and won’t be recommending El Gato Cantina to anyone, ever!

Reviewed August 12, 2019

1st let me state that Tony Bennett was at the Flynn Theater just around the corner.
When we (4) arrived at 7pm on Saturday night the place was slammed! Inquired w/ hostess if the bar area was open seating.... "bar yes but the high tops no" As our group was discussing if we felt like dinner or snacks......... 2 seats became available at a counter around from the main bar. I told my husband to grab the 2 seats, as I asked the hostess if there was bar service at this area or would we have to get drinks ourselves I also requested to be placed on the waiting list for a high top table. She advised that there was bar service where we were sitting. After about 10 min of waiting, we finally got the attention of a server and asked how we could get drinks........... we informed us that we were not sitting at an area where the bartender server and she would put our drink order in. We ordered one bottled beer and 2 margaritas.......I asked for a strawberry one made w/ vodka. 20 minutes later our drinks came. I almost spit out my drink when I tasted it. NOT sure what was in it but it nasty!!!!! After getting who I believe was the managers attention, I told him my drink was not I ordered and he reluctantly replaced it w/ a strawberry margarita w/ tequila (not knowing my original vodka request) Which again I returned the drink and just asked for a glass of water. We are now going on 30 minutes in the place and we had to get the attention of someone to get us drinks, which 1 of 3 was wrong... and received attitude from the manager!!!! The only positive to this review is the bartender, who was working her ass off alone.... She had a guest pass me Strawberry margarita and said it was on the house. About 45 minutes into our stay the place cleared out (Bennett show started at 8) and we were seated. We waited about another 15-20 minutes with no one acknowledging us (NO CHIPS AND SALAS, NO SORRY WE WERE REALLY BUSY WE WILL BE RIGHT W/ YOU!!!) when we decided to request the bill for the drinks and leave...Which mind you we could have just walked out and no one would have known. When the bill was brought to us we were charged for 3 drinks, we stated that the one margarita was on the bartender as she replaced my drink was was made wrong. AGAIN we waited ............... waited ............. My friend, who has been in the service business for yrs, got up and handed the bartender a 20 and said to her, this is for you as you are the only person in this place who seems to care about her patrons!!!! We walked out. As we were walking up the street, someone came running after us and asked if we could "kindly" pay our bill? Really ???!!!! We told her that we handed the bartender a 20 and should be set.......... Oh wait what was the bills total anyways? .... 15.00 Yea we're good too bad you didnt "kindly" give us services!!!!!!!!!

Reviewed July 9, 2019

My friend and I went to El Gato after eating dinner for their own drinks. They have a very extensive margarita menu and I highly suggest trying one of their unique margs. The bartender was very friendly as well!

Date of visit: July 2019
Reviewed May 25, 2019

Our friends recommended this place as they eat here on a fairly regular basis. Nice place to hang out.
Pescada (fish) tacos were pretty good. Margaritas were ok.

Date of visit: October 2018