TripAdvisor

Ranked #71 of 265 Restaurants in Burlington
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Large groups
Dining options: Reservations
Description: El Gato Cantina, is a traditional Mexican restaurant offering authentic Mexican cuisine to Burlington and Essex Junction, Vermont. The philosophy at El Gato Cantina is to make delicious food with traditional Mexican family recipes. We now have two locations! Visit us in downtown Burlington at 169 Church Street, or visit our NEW restaurant on 4 Park Street in Essex Junction, VT. Our menu consists of tamales, carnitas, fresh salsas, chili relleno and at least 10 different kinds of tacos and more. We take pride in our elote (Mexican grilled corn) and pozole, (the ancient Aztec soup of pork and hominy). Behind the bar we are fully stocked with a wide range of tequilas including some our house-infused tequilas made with jalapenos, oranges and our daily infused tequila specials. We offer delicious vegetarian and gluten-free Mexican dishes and source our food locally whenever possible. Dine in a casual atmosphere with a traditional Mexican Cantina feel. Join us today for a tasty Mexican meal the way Grandma used to make it.
Reviewed July 9, 2019

My friend and I went to El Gato after eating dinner for their own drinks. They have a very extensive margarita menu and I highly suggest trying one of their unique margs. The bartender was very friendly as well!

Date of visit: July 2019
Write a reviewReviews (192)

Reviewed May 25, 2019

Our friends recommended this place as they eat here on a fairly regular basis. Nice place to hang out.
Pescada (fish) tacos were pretty good. Margaritas were ok.

Date of visit: October 2018
Reviewed May 24, 2019 via mobile

Worst service we ever experienced. Took 25 minutes to get drink order and 45 minutes to food after we placed an order. Food that came was partial we had to remind the waiter to complete the order. Drinks were just not up to par with accepted standards. Food was very average.

Date of visit: May 2019
Reviewed May 5, 2019

The place itself is fine and has pretty great service. I'd recommend it more for a drinks stop than food, but maybe I just ordered poorly. On a recent trip I got Enchiladas with shrimp, spinach, in a cream sauce. I got shrimp debris with two cups of cream sauce. No spinach in sight. The tortillas were so soggy the whole dish failed for me. My cousin enjoyed the fajitas. To the eye, they looked fine to me.

Date of visit: May 2019
1  Thank Derek B
Reviewed May 4, 2019

The food is always good but the inexperienced staff makes the whole thin just average. Went in with a party of 6 at 5:30 before a show and was told they had no room. The large empty table for 6 was 'reserved' for a party due at 7 PM. Really?
I pointed out that we would be done before that and at the show at 7 PM and we were reluctantly given the table.

On another occasion early lunch the waitress was wearing sheer tights nothing over them and her thong was obvious. Not a prude, but not wanting to see that with lunch.
Cinco de Mayo was told I couldn't make a reservation because they weren't taking any more reservations. I asked if they were full "Yes, it is our busiest day of the year." SO.... I can't make a reservation at 11:30 because you're full. "Yes, we're not taking any more reservations." AS I thought about alternative restaurants, I tried one more time.. You mean to say if I showed up at 11:30 with 6 people the place would be full because you are booked with reservations? "Well, no. You can just come it."

This staff is costing the owners money and should be trained. Nice kids. Just not aware of customers or how to manage them.

Date of visit: April 2019