“Good food, very large portions!”
Review of El Gato Cantina

El Gato Cantina
Ranked #57 of 249 Restaurants in Burlington
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Large groups
Dining options: Reservations
Description: El Gato Cantina, is a traditional Mexican restaurant offering authentic Mexican cuisine to Burlington and Essex Junction, Vermont. The philosophy at El Gato Cantina is to make delicious food with traditional Mexican family recipes. We now have two locations! Visit us in downtown Burlington at 169 Church Street, or visit our NEW restaurant on 4 Park Street in Essex Junction, VT. Our menu consists of tamales, carnitas, fresh salsas, chili relleno and at least 10 different kinds of tacos and more. We take pride in our elote (Mexican grilled corn) and pozole, (the ancient Aztec soup of pork and hominy). Behind the bar we are fully stocked with a wide range of tequilas including some our house-infused tequilas made with jalapenos, oranges and our daily infused tequila specials. We offer delicious vegetarian and gluten-free Mexican dishes and source our food locally whenever possible. Dine in a casual atmosphere with a traditional Mexican Cantina feel. Join us today for a tasty Mexican meal the way Grandma used to make it.
Reviewed June 24, 2018

Our family stopped by for a pre-concert lunch. The service was good and the food very tasty. The vegetarian options were good, but we've seen better at other Mexican restaurants. Our portions were huge, so be prepared to take home leftovers.

Date of visit: June 2018

Reviewed May 29, 2018

We've gone here the last five years after the marathon and are always satisfied with the tasty food and selection of drinks. It is a great value and a relaxing atmosphere.

The service is inconsistent, but it has always been resolved when we've asked.

Reviewed May 28, 2018 via mobile

Had an evening meal on Memorial Day. Service was prompt, though the wait for the food was longer than it should have been, especially given that the restaurant was not busy. About 15 minutes after ordering, I was told that they were out of chicken so I wouldn't be getting the Mole Pollo taco I had ordered. I selected an alternative and waited about five more minutes for the meal to arrive. The rice and bean sides were cold, so I sent the meal back. The next attempt featured only vaguely warm sides but I was so hungry, I ate the meal anyway. The two tacos were okay but not as flavorful as corresponding options I have eaten in other restaurants. The portions were not generous. Though I was not charged for my meal, I was disappointed with my dining experience. I would not return to El Gato.

Date of visit: May 2018
Tree B, Manager at El Gato Cantina, responded to this reviewResponded June 5, 2018

Barb, we are disappointed to learn of your recent visit with us and apologize for the long wait time. Please know we train our staff to be as timely as possible and we will be speaking with them about your review immediately. This incident is not a true representation of our business and we hope you will give us another try in the future so we can provide you with the 5 star experience you deserve!

Reviewed May 27, 2018

Around the corner from the Floyd Theater, this Mexican restaurant is, in my opinion, just so-so. Drinks were good. Chips were served, but they forgot the salsa...which we had to ask for. Not bad.
It took a long time for the food to be served. My enchiladas, containing spinach and shrimp, were warm, not hot. The small portions of shrimp were quite firm....like they had been cooked yesterday. The guacamole was tasty, but kind of small.
Summary: Ok, but nothing special.

Reviewed May 4, 2018 via mobile

We tried to make reservations for Cinco de mayo but everything is booked or first come basis so we went out a day early - I’ve been to a lot of Mexican restaurants and most in the. eastern US are Tex-mex. El Gato was authentic- I haven’t had real Mexican food that was this good since my visit to Tucson, Arizona last year. The chips and salsa were great - just enough heat but not overwhelming. The house “frozen margarita “ was one of the best I’ve ever had. I ordered a two combo plate with pollo taco and beef enchiladas with verde sauce - both were outstanding - since we finished the chips and salsa I was expecting the waitress to bring more but by the time I finished the combo I wouldn’t have been able to eat any more chips - I would call this a hidden gem in Burlington if you like authentic Mexican food.