“perfect place - clean, perfectly situated, great people”

Sunset House Bed and Breakfast
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Burlington
Sunset House Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #10 of 11 Burlington B&B and Inns
Reviewed October 11, 2011

My girlfriend and I have stayed with Sunset many times. Paul and Nancy are very sweet and kind and they only house "responsible" guests. Recently I stayed there with my father and chose Sunset not only because of our great past experiences but because it was centrally located- nearly everything you would want to do in Burlington is walkable- fine dining, the Lake, music, theater etc. There are surprisingly very few lodging options directly in downtown Burlington: two typical and often overpriced chain hotels (which do afford, for some rooms a nice view of the lake) and a few more expensive B and B's. But Sunset house delivers - it's always clean, the prices are extremely reasonable and they will gladly respond to your needs.

The breakfast part is simple- juice, yogurt,cereal- not a sit down hot breakfast but honestly there are so many great places to eat within walking distance, we were never in need. It was nice to start the morning with a banana and coffee, but just around the corner in a converted garage is August Harvest- YUM!

The rooms are pleasantly furnished, some are small and a few are more than ample. No TV's which is actually nice. There is a den/living area on the first floor with games, the newspaper, puzzles and a large screen TV if you need it but again, there is so much to see and do in Burlington, it was just nice to come "home" at the end of the day to a clean and comfy bed!

All rooms are on one floor ( 2nd) and there are two shared bathrooms which again, lends itself to the great value. The bathrooms are kept clean. (hint- best to bring your own preferred soap and shampoo)

Again, you won't find a better value or nicer folks in such a great location. Book early because there aren't many rooms and there are a lot of return customers! Thank you Paul and Nancy!

Room Tip: book early! Not many rooms ( which is nice)
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family

Reviewed October 9, 2011

We stayed one night in this b&b and we found the location excellent. The hosts welcomed us warmly and gave us lots of information about where to go/what to visit and allowed us to leave the car there for an extra hour.
The room was very large, altough full of decorations. I think its main disadvantage was the lack of space to put things like our laptop. On the other hand the bed was comfortable and clean and we have been provided with a lot of towels.
Breakfast was basic and self-service (with disposable dishes and glasses) but nothing essential was missing.
As other said, unfortunately the bathrooms had to be shared with other guests. We knew it in advance, no complaints. They were reasonable clean, altough only hand soap is provided.
Overall a pit pricey for what it offered, but great location and helpful hosts.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Erica M
Reviewed September 6, 2011

Great location and friendly owner. If you plan to do a lot downtown, this is a fantastic spot to be in, as it is close to both downtown and the lakefront.

Biggest downside is that the bathroom/shower is in the hall, so be prepared for that.

The breakfast part of this b&b is about as spartan as they come -- tiny bagels and english muffins with preserves, but that suits me fine, since I do not want the normal calorie overload of most b&b breakfasts.

I will definitely try to get a booking here on my next visit to this great little city.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank bobsaab
Reviewed August 23, 2011

Blessed to stay for a week & more in this delightful Bed & Breakfast! The hosts are so very gracious, as well as accommodating in every possible way. The two different rooms I have enjoyed were immaculate, well-appointed & lovely. All amenities were (& are) generously provided, including often home-baked, delicious breakfast goodies. The location Guests from all over the globe add to the interest of this home-like atmosphere & an appreciative commraderie prevails!

Room Tip: Request the room above the garden.
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed August 6, 2011

You can tell that the owners are just in this business for the money. I didn't feel very welcome there. Everywhere were laminated signs what to do: take your shoes off, take short showers etc...The bathrooms were reasonably clean, however the whole house was full of kitsch and decorations that were full of dust. I am not sure if the bottom sheet of the bed had been changed after the customer before me, there were many hairs and I even could spot one bedbug!IEvrything was very dusty and had a mildew smell; there were fragrance and potpourri everywhere (I guess to cover that smell). The windows were locked so I was unable to open them and get fresh air in. This is not suitable for anyone that has problems with dust and mites!The breakfast was from 7.30-9.30 (I was not told, so if you don't read one of the many the signs you might miss it)The owner wasn't there the whole time, its self serve, Juice from plastic cups, coffee, bananas, bagels and muffins with a couple of spreads, they also had yogurt and cereal. I have had better ones in Motels. For 170$ per night (including tax) this whole experience was very disappointing.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled on business
5  Thank lilaleni
Reviewed July 31, 2011

Clean, charming, comfortable, quiet, convenient ... and Nancy and Paul are wonderful hosts. It is easy to find bad reviews about any place ... not this one! If you are looking for a nice place to call home in a great New England "hometown" city, this is it. We parked our car and didn't move it for three days. A light continental breakfast and many wonderful places to eat and explore. 2 thumbs up!

Room Tip: The Green Room was perfect ... didn't see the others.
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 13, 2011

Nancy was a wonderful host. She was incredibly welcoming and a delight to talk to. My room was very comfortable and I rested very well for two nights. If you are looking for a personal touch, you should stay at The Sunset House in Burlington.

Stayed: July 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank litpick
Also consider these accommodations in or near Burlington
Hotel Burlington & Conference Center
Green Mountain Suites Hotel
Green Mountain Suites Hotel
#2 of 12 in South Burlington
Courtyard Burlington Harbor

Been to Sunset House Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!