“Spectacular Bites of Scrumptious Flavor”
Review of El Cortijo

El Cortijo
Ranked #19 of 242 Restaurants in Burlington
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast
Description: A farm-to-taco experience located in the historic 1950s Oasis diner on Bank Street in Burlington. Tacos and entrees are prepared with fresh, local ingredients and expressed as traditional Mexican fare. Fresh-squeezed margaritas and handcrafted cocktails are served in a lively, vibrant atmosphere. Full menu available until late Sundays through Thursdays and 1 a.M. Fridays and Saturdays.
Reviewed October 10, 2013

Fresh, emphasis on local, delicious food. Wonderful selection. The goat tacos and fish tacos are outrageously good. Chips and guacamole are wonderful. Salsas are fresh. I love to cook and usually can make better food at home than I can get out. This place is an exception. Absolutely delightful food! This is excellent food at a fair price.

Reviewed October 5, 2013

I love this place, the decor and the smiling friendly waitstaff. But I would feel so much better recommending it if it served consistently delicious food. As it is, i can rec the tortilla soup, the brunch special taco of soft scrambled eggs, cheese and house bacon, really unusual super veggie tacos of kale, sweet potato and pepitas, and of green beans, zucchini and cheese, and the side salad with a bright citrus dressing. But I ask you, how can a kitchen with these talents also put out an ugh off-tasting guajillo sauce and the blandest refried beans (or was that cardboard?) you will ever put to your lips? I mean, just because you serve alot of vegans doesn't mean you can't use onion, garlic, veggie stock and spices and SALT for heaven's sake. sigh.

And what IS it w/ the crummy website? They've been serving brunch all along but WHERE do they give you a brunch menu (even if it's a sample) ? I know they've been growing; i know they have alot of irons in the fire, but I say get your current house in order first. Focus on improving the flavors of all those tacos I cannot recommend....
(p.s. And while you're at it, get rid of those g....d d_mn flies at the front table!)

1  Thank opinionatedchef
Reviewed September 22, 2013 via mobile

I was excited to try El Cortijo after being a huge fan of its sister restaurant The Farmhouse... But was majorly disappointed. The margaritas were horrible, WAY too acidic, to the point that it hurt our throats. They took them back to attempt to fix them which was fairly unsuccessful. The tacos were all horrible except for th fish which was delicious. I couldn't even eat certain varieties because they were that bad. No flavor to the rice or beans whatsoever. I will say that after my table told the waitress about our bad experience she was VERY apologetic. Took 20% off out bill and have the table free brownies to go. Great staff who aim to please, but with such horrible drinks/food they definitely miss the mark. I will never go back.

Reviewed September 21, 2013

So, I'll be the first to admit, I should have stuck with traditional burgers and fries. I attempted to see if my children could handle the potential culinary experience that is El Cortijo...They did not have any 'smaller' portions, no kids menu. Our server said that they could make things smaller and modify anything we wanted. We tried to simplify things, had carne burritos, it was explained that they would be smaller...I thought the price would be too...not so much. The food was decent, although when tasting my pollo on its own, out of taco, it tasted old and reheated, big time.
Overall, I was disappointed on a number of levels, the lack of 'family' options sealed the deal.
By the way, this was lunch on a Saturday...typical family outing time, no?

Reviewed September 15, 2013

We love Mexican, and seek it out where ever we go. Saw the reviews, and had great anticipation. The margaritas were as advertised, natural ingredients, no bar mix, but the recipe was off. To tart, maybe running short on agave - not sure.. they were not good. Food was ok, flavors were fresh, but did not blend. My meal was all spice with no flavor, wife's meal was bland no spice or flavor. Service was very casual, didn't feel welcomed or attended to. We both left feeling like "been there, done that & won't be back"