“Your Best Shot at Mexican in the Area” 4 of 5 bubbles

El Cortijo
Ranked #20 of 239 Restaurants in Burlington
Cuisines: Mexican, Southwestern, Latin, Spanish
Good for: Dining on a budget, Families with children, Kids
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: A farm-to-taco experience located in the historic 1950s Oasis diner on Bank Street in Burlington. Tacos and entrees are prepared with fresh, local ingredients and expressed as traditional Mexican fare. Fresh-squeezed margaritas and handcrafted cocktails are served in a lively, vibrant atmosphere. Full menu available until late Sundays through Thursdays and 1 a.M. Fridays and Saturdays.
Framingham, Massachusetts
“Your Best Shot at Mexican in the Area”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 2, 2013

Friends from California suggested this restaurant to us and it did not disappoint. It is a great little restaurant with a casual feel. The pricing is very reasonable. We had guacamole and fries with queso as a starter, both were excellent. I had three tacos, one with beef tongue, one with carnitas and one with pork belly, served with rice and beans. The tongue was very firm, I was expecting it to be a softer consistency. It was very tasty! The braised pork belly was also firm, and I mistakenly thought it was carnitas due to its consistency. The carnitas was by far the best taco. It was served al pastor style with pineapple and was perfectly executed. Tacos are traditionally served in small double wrapped corn tortillas. I didn't love the tortillas. El Cortijo, like its sister restaurant The Farm House, uses farm to table foods. It is worth trying out. I went on the Monday before New Year's and didn't have a wait. Pro tip, add chorizo to the queso fries for a Mexican version of Poutine, yum!

• Visited December 2012
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

“Excellent spot for dinner and drinks!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 16, 2012

This place is very small and cute--a mexican restaurant inside an old diner. The booths are small and a little tight for a party of five. We had a wait of 45 minutes on a Friday evening. The margaritas are excellent--I tried the classic and the prickly pear. I like that the margaritas come in two sizes--small and regular. The salad with yams and citrus dressing was excellent. Also really enjoyed the tacos. A charming place to catch up with friends over drinks and dinner!

• Visited December 2012
Burlington, Vermont
“Great spot, one of my favorites in town”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 11, 2012

Like the other restaurant owned by the same folks, The Farm House, El Cortijo focuses on local foods. Except this place uses them in a mexican food format. I've had very good drinks and very good food both times I've come here. The most recent visit was better than the previous.
One ding from our visit was the wine...my friend asked for carafe of a decent red. Our server turned around and started filling our carafe from a bag of wine on the bar behind him. When that bag was empty, he got another one out and topped off our carafe. I recognize they're tight for space but if that whole thing had gone down somewhere else we would never have known it was box wine. The wine itself wasn't...terrible...but I couldn't shake the Franzia aka Slap-the-Bag feeling I had while drinking it.

Visited November 2012
Toronto, Canada
“Great lunch”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 10, 2012

My wife and I had lunch here a couple of weeks ago. The place was very busy, so instead of waiting for a table we sat at the counter. The selection of tacos sounded so good we had a lot of trouble choosing. The food was great and so was the service. We will definitely come back here the next time we’re in town.

• Visited November 2012
Killington, Vermont
“Great Taco's & Service!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 26, 2012

Went there after a beer tasting event at their sister restaurant, The Farmhouse. (A poster on the wall was how we learned about El Cortijo) The girl who greeted us was also bussing tables and waitressing but was very friendly and attentive. The taco were GREAT... we tried almost 1 of each kind and were not disappointed in any of them. The diner atmosphere was fun but it is a smaller place, so I can only imagine it gets PACKED... we were there later in the evening with a short (5 min) wait for a booth.

Visited October 2012