“Very good but with limits”
Review of Pistou - CLOSED

Pistou
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Grand Isle, Vermont
“Very good but with limits”
Reviewed July 15, 2013

The quality of the food is excellent--fresh ingredients creatively combined into dishes that are prepared with great expertise. So the reason to come is the quality and creativity of the food. We were there when the room was not full, and the service was attentive, well informed and very friendly. The downside is that the menu is very limited on any given night--for $35 a choice of one of three first courses and one of three mains. The night we were there none of the mains were vegetarian. There is also a bar menu of small plates. The wine selection is limited but of high quality and leans towards expensive. So great if what they are doing is what you want but it is a very specialized experience.

Takoma Park, MD
“outstanding meal (but for an outstanding price)”
Reviewed July 15, 2013

I went into dinner here with my eyes open, knowing it was a pricey restaurant. I was not disappointed, though, and feel I got full value for my money, The prix fixe dinner (steak with carrots and mashed potatoes) was excellent, one of the best meals I've had in a very long time. The wait staff were polite, friendly, and helpful, recommending an excellent organic wine from France that was the perfect complement to my meal and maintaining that tricky balance of being present enough to see to my needs without being overbearing. I highly recommend this restaurant if you are looking for an exceptional meal and are willing to pay commensurately. I do not think you will be disappointed.

1 Thank winterbadger
Southbury, Connecticut
“Great chef but wouldn't go back”
Reviewed July 14, 2013 via mobile

It is a shame that such wonderful talent that the chef obviously has could not be better displayed! The room was sweltering despite A/C which I assume was on. To not have a wine list at this caliber of restaurant is not acceptable, especially when the choice of 4 ounce pours cost $10-12! The service was rushed, and atmosphere anything but relaxing - we were out in less than an hour with a $140 bill for two! The food was fantastic, but we will not go back unfortunately.

Visited July 2013
Burlington, Vermont
“Good food if you like price shock”
Reviewed July 12, 2013

I believe the staff should be more candid about prices with customers. When you call to make a reservation, you are commiting yourself to the $35 prix fixe (for two courses), no choice about it, only you don't know that. And since there was no printed wine list when we went, we had to depend on what our server told us; he didn't mention prices until we explicitly asked. Turns out the cheapest bottle in the place is $40.

Yes, the food is innovative and well prepared, but the same can be said about several other Burlington area restaurants that are more reasonable and don't have a noise level problem. Unless you have perfect ears, It's hard to hear friends at the same table indoors at Pistou.

Williston, Vermont
“Worth a Second Chance”
Reviewed July 11, 2013

Maybe it was an off night...cool fact, their menu changes daily & sometimes within the hour depending on the availability of ingredients in this farm to table establishment. The food was beautifully prepared plate by plate, seasoned well, & portions were great. Cocktails and wines were wonderful. Service was average as we had 4 different people, all professional, prompt, & polite. Although the air conditioners were on, it was way too hot inside given the open kitchen. They have to solve that one!