“Above Average, Great Bar”

The Farmhouse Tap & Grill
Ranked #8 of 242 Restaurants in Burlington
Cuisines: American
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: A farm-to-table gastropub dedicated to showcasing our many local Vermont farms and food producers. Award-winning local burgers, comfort entrees, and innovative nightly specials. The Tap Room delivers highly prized and rare beers from Vermont's backyard and beyond, with 24 beers on draught and over 200 bottled selections. Beer garden is open late spring and summer; downstairs parlor features a fireplace, tap room snacks, and is open during the fall and winter months.
Reviewed August 25, 2014

Paid a visit on a roadtrip to Burlington for a friend's 30th birthday. We were there on a busy Friday night, so there was a bit of a wait, but the downstairs bar is fantastic! Cozy fireplace and a great nook with board games, newspaperss, etc. There was also a fun looking back patio but it was quite full.
Service was prompt, despite being so busy. I had the meatloaf and my friend the mac and cheese. Both were tasty although perhaps a bit pricey. The plating was quite impressive.
Nice location off of Church St.

Reviewed August 25, 2014

We had a great meal!

We started with the pretzel with cheese dipping sauce and the homemade hummus with yogurt. Both were delicious. The pretzel was like a pretzel roll almost. Yum!

I had the stuffed squash (with white beans, bread crumbs and feta cheese) on a bed of kale with a tomatoey sauce - delicious!
The hubby had the chicken and biscuits - yum
My girls had the burger and grilled cheese with fries both were great.

They also had artisanal sauces - ketchup - tomatoey but not sweet - hot sauce - yum especially when mixed with mayo and brown grain mustard - delish!!

All the food was locally grown and farmed.

The service was great and the bathrooms were clean. If we go back to Burlington we will definitely drop by again!!

1  Thank Jaimee A
Reviewed August 23, 2014

I ordered the "baller burger". If you are going to put a $22 burger on the menu, you have to back it up. I ordered it thinking it would be amazing, and what I got was pretty lame. What came didn't even fill the bun (5 oz tops. Don't you hate it when the bun is way bigger than the burger? I weigh my burgers at home and know what a 7-8oz burger looks like, pre cooked. You have to do better than 5 oz for a $22 tag. Since the meat was billed as top notch, farm raised, etc - I ordered it rare. Came out medium well! No excuse for that. Especially because the burger came almost in the shape of a meatball, could have been cooked red in center at least for medium rare - not even close. The homemade bun tasted a bit stale too. The pork belly was not crispy as billed, it was good, but homemade pork belly is tough to screw up. This was NOT a baller-burger, instead they should call it, Your Gettin Schooled Burger.

Reviewed August 22, 2014

My son is attending UVM, and we love visiting The Farmhouse almost as much as visiting him. Great food, great ambience!

Reviewed August 22, 2014

First impression of any restaurant is at the arrival.

If you are totally ignored for over a minute by the ‘host’ as the boy is so engrossed in chatting up the two attractive young female seaters that’s not a great impression. If he then, with a fatuous grin, gives a table number by the kitchen entrance when the restaurant is half empty then you just get ticked off before you’re even seated. I am not sure what they’re paying you 'young man' but it’s too much. I do recall that there was a McDonalds on the same site a few years back. You may be better suited to it. You may not realize but the local middle aged section of the community is the one with the money in this prolonged recession.

Fortunately every one of the waitresses (order, delivery, clear up) was a delight. [Hence the average service - zero stars for host and 5 stars for waitresses!]

The food selection is adequate. We know this is a fairly fast production line, so it limits the offerings and what ‘is’ on the menu is of good quality and perfectly prepared every time we’ve been.
Of course the draught and bottle selection of beers is excellent. I can always find something new to try and it has plenty of old favourites. (Keep the Samuel Smiths!)

This place isn't really for a cheap bite though - two entrees and two drinks and I leave having paid over $60 out with tip.

When we arrived, the half-empty restaurant had a decent ambience, but when it was ¾ full an hour later we realized we were shouting at each other to be heard, with screaming kids and everyone else talking louder also to be heard. Certainly not the place for a relaxing meal or any special occasion. It's a place for a beer & burger at lunch or early bird bite before a movie at The Roxy.

Maybe we’ll give it another chance in a couple of months. The kid at the desk will have been fired and the summer tourist crowd and university parents will have diminished.