“What a great little place”

The Burlington Hostel
Reviewed September 13, 2013

This hostel is an easy walk to both "downtown" and the waterfront. It's above a restaurant, and surrounded by other restaurants. I stayed for one night, and was impressed that it was a) clean, b) pretty, c) had mood music and incense. There is plenty of seating, books, and board games, plus yoga mats and props for use. Self-serve waffles and syrup are provided for breakfast, as are tea and coffee. There's no parking provided, but it's possible to get street parking in the area. I left my car around the corner and walked to the pedestrian mall for shopping, people watching, and tea at night.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank michelle j

Reviewed August 27, 2013

Stayed on a short solo trip to Burlington-was perfect for my needs. Although a bit on the quiet side (i.e. did not notice a lot of interaction between guests) which created a somewhat formal vibe without any unpleasantness. The cleanliness was a 10 on scale of 1-10, cleaner than many hotels and B&B's. Showers were hot. Located a few blocks from the waterfront and Church street, the location is ideal and one feels very secure, especially as a solo traveller. Can't beat the price especially in a town where hotel/B&B accommodations are pricey at any time of year. Will definitely return on my next trip to Burlington.

Room Tip: Choose a room and mark it somehow-I left the towel given to me upon arrival on top of my bed only to...
2  Thank truman12
Reviewed August 16, 2013

I've never stayed in a hostel this clean and well kept up. When I asked the front desk guy if the hostel was brand new, I was shocked to learn it has already been around for several years, because it all looks brand new. Just so you get an idea of how conscientiously and meticulously this place is executed, they even iron the sheets and pillowcases! It's also very quiet, at least on the weekday night I was there. Great location too, right in the middle of downtown Burlington and close to the hub for all the local buses. The only downside is the very soft, foamy, cheap mattresses. Nevertheless, highly recommended!

1  Thank aleather
Reviewed August 16, 2013

Spent one night at end of July 2013. Arrived late to locked door, but was immediately buzzed in by attendant. Score a point for good security. My bed was ready, with topsheet and pillowcase already on it. Score a point for customer service. Linens seemed to be a high thread count, so score another point for that. Whole hostel is very clean and neat, after being in business for four years now. Great central location - close to the Lake and the action of downtown Burlington.

On the down side, I thought $35 a night was a bit high for a hostel, especially considering the pretty lame "breakfast" that is advertised. Best I can figure, breakfast is a cook your own waffle and coffee. The maple syrup is the fake corn syrup stuff - and this hostel is in VERMONT. I've been to hostels in NYC and Washington, DC that charge the same amount, most likely have much higher overhead costs, and still provide a good choice of continental breakfast fare and accommodations. Just saying.

The shower rooms were pretty dark, and would have liked a light over the mirrors so I could see my face while shaving. Also a bench of some sort in the shower room (there was plenty of space for one) would certainly help in getting dressed after a shower.

Speaking of light, the bunkrooms were really dark also. The hostel does loan out electric individual lights to use in your bunk, so that's cool.

I'd recommend this to a friend -- don't misunderstand my review. I'm trying to be honest. It's a good place, it just doesn't meet the standard, in my opinion, for a great place -- yet.

I really don't like writing this in the negative, because I think they are doing a good job of meeting a need in Burlington. Give 'em a try and then take me to task for writing this lukewarm review!

Room Tip: Well, all the bunk rooms seem to be the same with curtains for doors. I take a bottom bunk so the l...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Megapod
Reviewed August 13, 2013

Clean, quiet, friendly, great downtown location. Travelers of all kinds when I was there. One family (there's a beautiful family room in back), a few couples (mixed room), also separate women's and men's rooms. Area in hostel for bikes. Traveling solo; older? - you will feel safe and comfortable here. Young and old share their experiences during breakfast of waffles, coffee/tea and whatever others want to share (berries, cheese, jams, bread).

All the Front desk folk very helpful. Francis put out berries for breakfast - how sweet.

hint: Make your bed immediately after checking in as only dim lights after 10pm.

Reviewed August 7, 2013

As my two friends and I were making our way towards Quebec City, we stayed one Friday night in August at The Burlington Hostel located in the heart of Burlington, Vermont. I had never been to this city prior to my arrival, but had heard great things about it. All three of us were not only pleasantly surprised by the area itself, but also by this great hostel! It's proximity to all of the restaurants, bars, and shops is fantastic. Brian, the owner/manager of the hostel, was so calm and helpful. He has made The Burlington Hostel a very comfortable place to be. It was very quiet the night we stayed, and the guests were very respectful towards one another throughout the night and the early morning, as the common area and kitchen are located on the same floor as the beds. Delicious waffles were available for us to make for breakfast. Remember to bring slippers, as shoes are not allowed inside the premises. Free parking is located a few blocks away in a more residential part of Burlington (ask the front desk associate upon arrival). This was a great place to stay, and I certainly hope to visit here again in the near future. I will be telling all friends who head in this direction to stay at Brian's Burlington Hostel!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank bfl49
Reviewed July 7, 2013

Not your typical hostel; it's almost sterile. They make you take off your shoes the moment you enter. Mostly lone adult travelers when we were there. For a cheap quiet stay, nothing beats this place. The waffles in the morning are a sweet treat.

Room Tip: Not a partying type of hostel
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank girasole9
Also consider these accommodations in or near Burlington
Hotel Burlington & Conference Center
Hilton Garden Inn Burlington Downtown
Hilton Burlington
Hilton Burlington
#5 of 8 in Burlington
Best Western Plus Windjammer Inn & Conference Center
Best Western Plus Windjammer Inn...
#3 of 12 in South Burlington
Hotel Vermont
Hotel Vermont
#1 of 8 in Burlington
La Quinta Inn & Suites South Burlington
La Quinta Inn & Suites South Bur...
#8 of 12 in South Burlington

Been to The Burlington Hostel? Share your experiences!