“Awesome, authentic German food - can't wait to go back!”
Review of Das Bierhaus - CLOSED

Das Bierhaus
Cuisines: German
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: At Das Bierhaus you will find authentic German, Austrian and Swiss family recipes made with local, organic ingredients and served alongside the world's best beers! Prost! A note on our food:We have searched far and wide to bring you these traditionally inspired meals. Our dishes are homemade, using locally-sourced and produced ingredients wherever possible. They are based on authentic German, Austrian and Swiss family recipes and served with a twist of Vermont.We are dedicated to continuing old-world culinary traditions. As such, we support local farms and operate with no microwave and very limited freezer space — everything is fresh. Nothing is pre-packaged. Our food is prepared from scratch, and cooked with love.Das Bierhaus is a Chef-Owned Establishment. A note on our beer: We dedicate 100% of our draft lines to German biers. Our selection varies based on availability and seasonal variety. We constantly source new, limited, and/or up-and-coming biers from home and abroad, so there should always be something new to taste. Finally, we regularly pursue new German acquisitions and navigate the state’s regulatory system to bring them to you on tap.
Reviewed December 5, 2013

I love German food and have lamented the lack of a decent German restaurant - no more!
Das Bierhaus is known for its beer, but I'm not a beer drinker, so I can only say the list is varied and very impressive with drafts available in .3, .4, or .5 liters. The wine list is very short (this is a BEER place!), but offers something for every taste. I enjoyed a very nice Gewurtztraminer - not as much of the distinctive spicy note as I might like, but flavorful and the perfect choice for this food.
We started with a cheese plate - blue, gouda, baby bel, an awesome gruyere. The housemade rye bread had been toasted slightly to give it more crispness with the cheese. The star of the show was the entree, with fabulous side dishes. We both opted for Jager "Hunter" Schnitzel. I chose Kasespatzle as a side, and my partner opted for both spicy fries and red cabbage. (The $4 charge for a second side was well worth it, and I will add red cabbage next time!) Our plates came out with a HUGE piece of veal that had been pounded thin, but left just thick enough to have wonderful texture and flavor; it was also amazingly tender. I looked at it and announced I could never eat all that - and proceeded to demolish it. Ah, the Jager sauce - they could sell that stuff! It's a deep brown sauce (just thick enough to actually be considered gravy) with mushrooms and the most wonderful peppery "zing". I think you just have to taste it. My spatzle came out as a molded dish, about 1 1/2 cups (yeah, it was big); the spatzle were a perfect al dente and were blended with cheeses to make the best spatzle I've ever had (including what I make myself.) My partner's red cabbage was the best blend of tangy and sweet - I know that because I swiped a piece; he was not sharing his red cabbage! The fries, which he ordered spicy, were a bit much for me, but he loved them. (On a scale of 1 to 10, I said a 5 and he said more like a 2 or a low 3.)
The bar is central to the room, with tables scattered around the rooms. It was noisy (it's a beer garden), but not disruptively so. We were told the downstairs is open Friday and Saturday and is quieter and more romantic - reservations suggested. Other days you access the bar with a staircase, but I had no trouble, even though I use a cane. We'll be back soon, downstairs, to try the Sauerbraten. This place is a total winner!

1  Thank VTOceanLover

Reviewed November 18, 2013

I thought Das Bierhaus was one of the best restaurants in Burlington . . . but no. Went there w some biking buddies who I told the food was great. Two of us had sauerbraten which tasted like it had been left out for a day - dry & tough.

1  Thank pete533
Reviewed November 12, 2013

Four of us arrived on a Saturday evening and were seated immediately. We were just going to have a beer or two, but the menu caught our eye and our apparent hunger for German food. The beer selection is fantastic, offering a small, medium and large size; not sure what the smaller sizes were, but the large is a half liter served in a great glass. As for food I highly recommend any of the wursts, all exceptional, but if you only have room for one thing, make sure it's the cheesy spaetzle, with it's great spongy texture and a hint of nutmeg, it hit the spot.

Reviewed November 3, 2013

My daughter found this place. My wife daughter and I showed out without a reservation, but we got in before 6p and it got very busy (make a reservation) it is a small place and very cozy. The service was a little slow to start, but once they got to us the girl (dressed in german frau garb) was great and attentive. We shared a cheese pretzel (with awesome mustard), then entree's were the weinerschnitzel (sp?) and I had a "Best of Wurst" platter which was great. It was a great dinner!!

Reviewed October 28, 2013 via mobile

I found this place on trip advisor before our trip and really wanted some good German food. So when we got to Burlington, we had a friend meet us there.

First off, the layout is a lot smaller than I thought it would be. And bright. Second, the bar only seats a few people. Even though we got seats there, it still felt cramped and like we were in the way of the service station. We weren't really hungry yet so had a few beers and decided to go shopping in the area for an hour or two and then come back for dinner. While shopping, I looked up the restaurant and made sure that we made it back before they stopped serving dinner. Well, we made it back there much earlier than their advertised cut off time and were stopped as we headed upstairs by a few crew members who said they weren't serving food anymore. I told them their website said they were still supposed to be serving and I was informed that they basically ran our of everything. BIGGEST pet peeve in restaurants is when they run out of things. I can understand one or two items. But when you run out of most everything it shows a lack of foresight by your kitchen team. I'm sure the food would have been great, had we gotten to try any of it. But the staff was friendly and the beer was good.

Advice to others? Maybe eat early, just to be safe.

1  Thank Kawelalove