“Authentic”
Review of Das Bierhaus - CLOSED

Das Bierhaus
Cuisines: German
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: At Das Bierhaus you will find authentic German, Austrian and Swiss family recipes made with local, organic ingredients and served alongside the world's best beers! Prost! A note on our food:We have searched far and wide to bring you these traditionally inspired meals. Our dishes are homemade, using locally-sourced and produced ingredients wherever possible. They are based on authentic German, Austrian and Swiss family recipes and served with a twist of Vermont.We are dedicated to continuing old-world culinary traditions. As such, we support local farms and operate with no microwave and very limited freezer space — everything is fresh. Nothing is pre-packaged. Our food is prepared from scratch, and cooked with love.Das Bierhaus is a Chef-Owned Establishment. A note on our beer: We dedicate 100% of our draft lines to German biers. Our selection varies based on availability and seasonal variety. We constantly source new, limited, and/or up-and-coming biers from home and abroad, so there should always be something new to taste. Finally, we regularly pursue new German acquisitions and navigate the state’s regulatory system to bring them to you on tap.
Reviewed September 22, 2013

A fun, pretty authentic German beer hall in downtown Burlington. The beer selection is awesome, including some typical German beer and some more obscure, delicious ones. The Aventinus was delicious but I didn't realize it was something like 12% until later. The food was also very good and fairly authentic. The currywurst was excellent and tasted just like the Berlin version. The jagerschnitzel was also good and the sauce was excellent. Service was very friendly and actually German!

Reviewed September 14, 2013

We were so looking forward to an authentic German experience in Burlington. First when we arrived, it felt like we had just stopped by a sports bar with a few german signs on the wall, football on the big screen TV's and Raggie music playing. Outside of the waitresses in correct outfits, it didn't impress me to be an authentic German restaurant and I have been to many in the states, Canada and Europe.
The Weihanstepan Vitus beer was good, but the Saurbraten and the red cabbage was less than on par with comparable restaurants. The spaetzel was ok, and the 5 wursts platter with the curry sauce was good (although my wife got ill about a half hour after we left ..hopefully not connected.).
Also several times during our meal there was the sound of a gym or prison door being opened and slammed downstairs...Obviously this was the escape door to the alleyway for people trying to get out....Very annoying.
Overall, if I had wanted to go to a sports bar , and watch football or go and listen to reggie (then later Neil Young) with mediocre food, I would have looked for another establishment. But we wanted to go to a German Restraurant with good German atmosphere and Good German food.....We left very Disappointed !!!!! I will give it another chance as I always believe a place can have a bad night, but this was really upsetting.

2  Thank Vt V
Reviewed September 13, 2013

If you like German food, then do not miss Das Bierhaus! Tucked away at the end of Church Street in Burlington -- you definitely need to find this place. My husband had the Taste of Wurst -- 5 sausages and it was some of the best he ever ate at any German restaurant. I had the pork entre and we also had the home-made pretzels sample for an appetizer. We recommend all of these.

Reviewed September 8, 2013 via mobile

The service was slow and there were only two other tables in the restaurant with people at them. The soft pretzel was not very good, more burnt than anything. Good selection of beers and nice roof too area.

Reviewed September 5, 2013

We were worried that das Bierhaus would be a german restuarant in name only. We were thrilled to find out we were wrong. Fantastic german food, although the spaetzle was something of a mess (stick with the red cabbage). We were disappointed that they were out of dumplings and sauerbraten. But we both had schnitzel and both were greeat. The kids had american food from the kids menu, which was nice even though i wish they were more adventurous. Amazing beer selection. I am sure this place woudl do great even if they left the food focus and stuck with the huge beer selection. So I am glad they continue to choose to have fantastic tasting food. .