“Afternoon aboard the Friend Ship”

Whistling Man Schooner Company
Ranked #1 of 24 Tours in Burlington
More attraction details
Owner description: Sail aboard a traditional sailing sloop on the grand and gorgeous Lake Champlain on a two-hour tour. Or charter this classic sloop for your private enjoyment with up to 12 people. The Friend Ship departs from her slip next to the ECHO Center at the foot of College Street in Burlington.
Reviewed September 3, 2013

While visiting colleges with my daughter, I decided to take my children out for a sail. I would have liked the Sunset tour, but unfortunately for us, they were booked while we were visiting. We opted for the 3 pm tour. It wasn't a windy day, but that is beyond anyone's control.

I found Captain Mike and his First Mate to be friendly and accommodating. They provided some history without being to chatty and boring and answered any questions guests had. My children enjoyed dangling their feet in the water as we rode across the lake. My son was particularly proud that he was able to steer the boat!

There were approx 10 guests on board, with plenty of room to move about. It was a relaxing afternoon out on the lake!

Reviewed August 31, 2013

What a beautiful time we had yesterday sailing on The Friend Ship! Took our family on the 3pm cruise. Great crew! We had some good laughs while enjoying the beautiful scenery. This is a must do if you are visiting Burlington Vermont! Will be doing it again soon....especially as the leaves start to change!

Michael C, Owner at Whistling Man Schooner Company, responded to this reviewResponded September 3, 2013

I'm glad you enjoyed your cruise. It was fun having you on-board and I hope to see you again.

Thanks,
Capt. Mike

Reviewed August 21, 2013

This is the only way to see Lake Champlain. Lots of laughs, fun conversation and the time passed on way too fast. We will definitely be sailing again with Captain Mike and his first mate (who did whistle while he worked - for a little while any way). Thank you to all the crew and the awesome sailing passengers aboard.

Reviewed August 9, 2013

After reading reviews, we thought this would be a great experience. Although it was a pretty day, there was little wind, so the trip was not much more than riding a motor boat around the area. The captain was not sociable at all...didn't even make introductions of himself and mate or the other people cruising. Didn't offer much info about the area until some of the participants started asking questions. Most of the time, he talked with one of the participants that owned a sailboat of his own and they talked "shop". What a waste of money!!

1  Thank dmaccat
Michael C, Owner at Whistling Man Schooner Company, responded to this reviewResponded August 12, 2013

Thank you for your comments. I use all reviews and information to help improve our cruises. I'm sorry we didn't have any wind the day you went out with us, but some days the wind just doesn't blow enough on the lake to allow us to turn the motor off. Also I don't use a canned running commentary like the large tour boats do, as most guest wish to have a conversation either with me or among themselves and not be preached to. They like the informal atmosphere, like they are on a friends boat. But I will use your comments to help improve the experience on future sails.

Thanks,
Capt. Mike

Reviewed July 28, 2013

If you are looking for something different to do outside this summer, try a cruise on the friendship. We met some friends for a sunset cruise, great time. We self provisioned and watched the other sailboats, islands and Burlington skyline go by. Sitting by the lake is great, but treat yourself and get out on it. Thanks to Captain Mike and crew