“Smiling Foodies!”
Review of Bluebird Tavern - CLOSED

Bluebird Tavern
Cuisines: American
Good for: Large groups, Romantic, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Bank St, Burlington, VT
Transit: Located in the heart of downtown Burlington Bluebird Tavern can be accessed by CCTA bus services.
Description: At Bluebird Tavern our inventive New England Style cuisine is centered on farm fresh Vermont ingredients in a casual but elegant setting. Founded in 2009, Bluebird Tavern has been recognized by Bon Appetit Magazine, Food & Wine Magazine, and by the James Beard Foundation. Located in the heart of downtown Burlington, one block off of the Church St Marketplace, Bluebird Tavern offers a large bar area, open kitchen, chef's table, and an intimate dining room. Our cuisine is centered New England classics with a French and Italian influence. Fresh seafood straight from the docks in Boston, hand made pastas, and traditional tavern offerings such as our double burger are anchors of the Bluebird Tavern menu.
Jacksonville, Florida
“Smiling Foodies!”
Reviewed June 7, 2014 via mobile

We had dinner at the Blue Bird last night, before attending a show at the nearby Flynn Theater. Easy to make reservations online. We were not disappointed!

There was a new menu and we split a green salad and had two delicious main courses. My wife had lump crab and I had Skate cheeks (think sting ray). Both were excellent, with wonderful presentation and sauces. The focaccia that came to our table was excellent. We will be back and recommend the restaurant to everyone who reads this.

Visited June 2014
Jim H, General Manager at Bluebird Tavern, responded to this review, June 10, 2014
Hi Michael C,

Thank you for your great review. I am very glad you liked the Skate Cheeks. If you ever have any feedback or questions feel free to contact me directly. I can be reached at jim@bluebirdvermont.com.

Jim

Vermont
“Interesting Menu”
Reviewed June 1, 2014

This is another great stop on the Burlington foodie scene. The menu features interesting options and all of them are delicious. You can also just grab a burger and fries which are just as good as their other offerings. The fish was also especially good.

Visited May 2014
Jim H, General Manager at Bluebird Tavern, responded to this review, June 3, 2014
Good evening VrmtTraveler,

Thank you for your wonderful review. I am glad you enjoyed your fish. If you ever have any questions or comments for me, please feel free to contact me directly. I can be reached at jim@bluebirdvermont.com or (802) 825-1915.

Vermont
“Awesome food, beer, and service!”
Reviewed May 28, 2014

My title says it all One of the best restaurants in downtown Burlington. A bit pricey but well worth it for a wonderful meal with exceptional service.

• Visited May 2014
Jim H, General Manager at Bluebird Tavern, responded to this review, May 29, 2014
Hi hrwvt

Thank you so much for your wonderful review. The title is much appreciated and I am glad you enjoy all three of those things. If you ever have any questions please feel free to contact me directly. My email is jim@bluebirdvermont.com.

Burlington, VT
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Slow service, good food.”
Reviewed May 8, 2014

My first time eating here and probably my last. The food was good, but not great for the price; but by far my biggest issue was the ridiculously long wait times and poor service once seated. Two off the tasty chicken sausage appetizers came out wrong and took forever to be replaced. Needless to say my husband had his appetizer and then sat for an hour while the others waited for their correct appetizers. It took two hours for the 3 people in my party to be served three courses. There are many better places to eat in Burlington where terrible service doesn't spoil a night out.

1 Thank 6Vermonters
Jim H, General Manager at Bluebird Tavern, responded to this review, May 10, 2014
Dear 6Vermonters,

I am very sorry to hear your food took so long. It certainly isn't how we want our guests to dine. I would very much like to hear more about your experience and to talk with you to find out how we can make it up to you. I can be reached directly at jim@bluebirdvermont.com or (802)825-1915.

Bluebird Tavern
Springfield, Massachusetts
“The worst of my restaurant week.”
Reviewed May 3, 2014

As a fairly new resident of Burlington, I was excited to make the most of Restaurant Week and try some new places. A group of my friends from work and I were having a tough time deciding between L'Amante and Bluebird, and Bluebird finally won out because several of us hadn't been there. We were a party of 7 who made reservations for right after work at 5:30. When we arrived, we were shown right to our table and from the start I did love the decor and the atmosphere. I was surprised that we were the only people in the restaurant, but I figured it was early so that was probably why. 4 of the 7 of us ordered from the Restaurant Week menu, and the other 3 ordered off the regular menu. I'm basically going to sum it up with this: We got there at 5:30 and didn't leave until 9:00, because every course took about an hour. I really did not understand it at all, especially when 4 of us were ordering off a set menu. You would think the chef and the people in the kitchen would be able to turn food around quicker than that. True to what I had heard about this place, the portions were shockingly small compared to the price, which was shockingly expensive. I didn't even mind the small portions, but it didn't seem like anything was what we expected, and I think they need better descriptions on the menu as well as servers who are willing to explain the dishes. The food was ok... not wonderful, but ok... but the dessert was so far off from the description that I couldn't even eat it. The consistency of the panna cotta was terrible.

Bottom line: bad service, horrible wait times, and definitely not worth the price tag. There are so many better places in Burlington. This place is way overrated.

1 Thank Alanna S
Jim H, General Manager at Bluebird Tavern, responded to this review, May 8, 2014
Good evening Alana S,

I am very sorry to hear you were disappointed with your trip to our restaurant. We clearly did not live up to your expectations or our own. I would truly appreciate the opportunity to learn more about your experience and if you have the time I can be reached directly at jim@bluebirdvermont.com or (802)825-1915.