“Nice Stay!”

Ranked #5 of 8 Hotels in Burlington
Lisbon, New York
“Nice Stay!”
Reviewed October 22, 2012

We recently stayed at the Hilton for a weekend trip. We had been given a gift certificate which was confusing when we were making our reservations. Once at the hotel, we were treated well but the clerk had to ask a supervisor how to handle the gift certificate. We had a beautiful lake view which was very clean. The only complaint we had was that there was a motor or something mechanical that ran every 15 seconds for about 10 seconds and then it would quit all night. At first, we thought it was the elevators but once we stood outside our room we could hear the difference. Needless to say we didn't sleep well. We asked the cleaning lady to listen to the noise and she didn't know what it was. She advised us to tell the front desk which we did at checkout. They were supposed to check it out.
We had also been given a bill, which we shouldn't have been given as our entire stay was covered by the gift certificate. When we checked out, Julia was very helpful in trying to figure out why we had received a bill. She got the manager, they figured it out, and we indeed did not owe anything.
Everyone was helpful and friendly including the waitresses and waiters in the restaurant. The breakfast buffet was very good.
Overall, we were very happy with our stay and will stay there again when we are in the area.

Room Tip: The seventh floor has beautiful views of Lake Champlain.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Drewson1, General Manager at Hilton Burlington, responded to this review, October 23, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. Thank you as well for letting us know about the noise issue. We look forward to having you back as our guest soon.

General Manger

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (396)
New York City, New York
Reviewed October 22, 2012

Just returned from a weekend at the Hilton Burlington. From the moment we arrived we were treated with professionalism and kindness. The hotel is in the best part of town, steps from the water. Walking distance into town and to the best restaurants. The king room was fantastic with the most comfortable bed and lots of great down pillows. Flat screen TV, combo bath/shower and toilet in separate room; sink and mirror outside. High hat lighting above bed. Coffee maker in room.
On our way out to dinner Friday night there was a table with complimentary cookies being offerred. When we returned from dinner they were gone and we asked a very nice young man if there were any left. He said he would see what he could do and asked if we were in for the evening which we were. Five minutes later he knocked on our door with a tray of cookies (three kinds!!) and a glass of milk. Have stayed here before many times and would only stay here in the future. Exceeded our expectations. Well worth the price, even if it is expensive.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for the great review of the Hilton Burlington. We are very proud of our team here as they are always looking for ways to go above and beyond our guest expectations.

Boston Area
Reviewed October 22, 2012

My wife, four year old daughter stayed at the Hilton Burlington for 3 nights (October 18th, 19th, 20th). We were in the area for a wedding.

Upon arrival on the 18th we were informed that the hotel was completely sold out and no upgrades were available (I am Hilton Gold so space available upgrades are provided). I was fine with this since I never expect an upgrade. I also however do not expect the level of room we were assigned to either. The moment the check in agent said we were assigned to a "pool room" I began to get concerned. I have read reviews on these rooms on Tripadvisor and they seem to be overwhelmingly unfavorable. I also do not like the fact that you get no natural light with these rooms and have no view of the outside. Ok, off to the room...

My concern grew as we made our way to the room (105). It seemed to be in a separate part of the hotel. Up some stairs and not accessible via elevator. The hall was very cramped and later would provide to be a loud, echo filled noise tunnel. The room with two queen beds was generally fine. It was VERY dark though because of lack of natural light and because of the fact the pool was right out our window it didn't feel private. Noise would prove to be the biggest problem though. Noise from the pool area, noise from the adjoining room (you could hear every word they said and it wasn't as though they were shouting), noise from the hallway. It was just an absolutely miserable night of sleep.

First thing in the morning I made my way down to reception and asked to be moved. I was expecting them to ask why I wanted to change rooms but they didn't. This is very telling to me. It tells me that they already knew why. It tells me that requests to be moved from these rooms are very common. It also tells me that these pool rooms should be offered at a lower rate or not at all. They are sub-par compared to the rest of the rooms in the hotel. I was informed that no other rooms were available but there should be something later in the day and they would call. Sure enough I received a call a little before noon giving me a couple options. I took a corner lake view room on the third floor. Off to the new room....

The new room (343) was also a two queen bed room. It had a beautiful view of Lake Champlain and was much larger, brighter and seemed fresher and newer. It truly was up to par with what I expect from a Hilton property.

A couple things stood out to me as odd. First there was no mini-bar in the rooms. We did have a fridge though which came in very handy since we were traveling with our 4 year old. Also, there were not pay movies or other services available on the TV (just limited cable channels). This doesn't make or break a stay but even lower end properties usually have these features (especially pay movies).

We ate breakfast three mornings at the hotel restaurant "Sixty Battery" and we all were pleased. We stuck to the buffet since it is an included Hilton Gold benefit. The chocolate chip scones were memorable! Beyond breakfast we didn't dine at the hotel because of all of the other fabulous near by choices.

The staff was incredible. Each and every one that we dealt with were just great. From the front desk staff to the restaurant staff to the bell staff...just wonderful and helpful.

Overall it was a good stay and would have been a GREAT stay if we didn't have to deal with the poor room the first night and then the hassle of moving the next day.

Room Tip: Run for the hills if you are assigned a "Pool Room".
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for reviewing our hotel. I am sorry you did not like the pool side room that you were first assigned. I am happy we were able to upgrade you to a wonderful lake view room. Thank you as well for your remarks about our team. They are truly an outstanding group who care very much about our guest.

Birmingham, UK
Reviewed October 21, 2012

We stayed here for two nights on our tour of New England. Based on reviews from Trip Advisor, I asked for a west-facing upper-floor room; this turned out to be great advice. The views are superb, and being treated to a glorious sunset just after we arrived justified that advice. The staff were welcoming, full of useful advice and information, and helped make the stay very good. When I had booked the trip, I had advised all 5 hotels that the trip was a surprise present for my wife's birthday. Whilst many welcomed her with 'happy birthday', Hilton Burlington went one step further and a knock on the door whilst we were unpacking heralded the arrival of a Birthday Cake, courtesy of the hotel; that really is service.

Room Tip: West facing, upper floor for the best views of the Lake.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your birthday trip. Our team at the Hilton Burlington loves to make these special occasions even better.

Warnerville NY
Reviewed October 20, 2012

This overnight for our tenth anniversary was, unfortunately, ordinary. Yes, there was a spectacular view of Lake Champlain from our 7th floor room but the rest of the event was a series of small and large disappointments.

Our room was not ready when we were. We waited an hour when we were told it would be ten to twenty minutes. We were repeatedly told they were "just inspecting the room." For what? Inexplicably, they changed us from 731 to 701 -- why? What was wrong, and why were we not informed? We know this because the champagne and strawberries I ordered were written out to room 731... We were comped drinks, but as we had bottles waiting in the room, it didn't make a lot of sense to me.

The king bed room was smallish, with an odd construction for the bath -- barely able to squeeze in a tub (that drained slowly and had marginal water pressure) and a toilet in a separate room. The sink was outside.

Beware the nightstands. They have sharp-edged corners, and turning over in the middle of the night I nearly lost an eye because in the dark I slammed into it. I have a large cut/bruise just above my left eye to prove it. Not losing an eye was luck. If the room is so small that the nightstands with surfaces JUST high enough to be dangerous must be shoved against the mattress, someone in Management isn't thinking.

The air vent had broken louvers. A simple thing that at $200+ a night should have been fixed. As someone else said, the lights by the bed were so dim as to be useless even to read by.

Breakfast was included in the tariff as I am a Hilton Diamond. Cold food only. Hot was extra. We opted to have the cold food and leave.

My husband is a very forgiving and easygoing person. He does not often travel with me and so is not used to what Hilton standards should be. However, I am. I had planned this special treat for him for weeks, and feel that it was nothing worth what I paid, and a very disappointing anniversary.

1 Thank Traveling_Psychic
Drewson1, General Manager at Hilton Burlington, responded to this review, October 21, 2012
Thank you for reviewing our hotel. Our team is committed to having our rooms ready by at least by 3pm. This is our posted check in time. We also have a detailed inspection process to make sure the room is perfect for our guest. Looking at our room log I believe the change in room number was due to accommodate an early arrival. I am sorry our team did not recognize that this was your anniversary as we are experts in making special occasions even better. I hope that you were able to enjoy at least part of the weekend and that you will return and be my guest.

Bridgend, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 19, 2012

Used this hotel as part of a 'fall' trip. It was the most expensive in our travels.
Nice lake view, comfy bed, but, car parking $10 per night, internet charges, no breakfast included in the room price & minimal coffee, sugar, milk. In fact requested extra one early evening only to be brought 2 coffee packets and 2 milks !
Mini bar removed from room.
Bathroom walls and ceiling had flaking paint.
Most disappointed having chosen the 'Hilton' brand.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Drewson1, General Manager at Hilton Burlington, responded to this review, October 20, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We will certainly look into the areas that you had mentioned. Please let me know should you return to the area as I would like to a have you back as my guest.

Charlottetown, Canada
Reviewed October 18, 2012

$230 bucks ought to buy a nice room, anywhere. We travel often in Canada and the U.S. and will count this among our most disappointing stays. For a hotel that charges in the five-star range, the three-star amenities are disappointing, to say the least.

From the beginning - trying to access the you-pay-extra parking garage (which we were NOT told was run by an outside party) and being abused and lectured by the belligerent attendant, the faults were many. We were very grudgingly allowed free internet service, but only when we expressed surprise at the expense (though I understand this is not the norm - the cost is outrageous).

Loved having a "quiet" room, as promised - our loud guitar-playing neighbour, decided to enliven the early hours by bellowing and vomiting his way in.The room was OK, nothing special. The bathroom floor was unfinished, the shower was clogged. the fittings and furnishings needed a definite update.

We'd settled in for the evening and decided to put away a few refreshments in the small refrigerator - lo and behold...an empty space in the fridge cabinet!! We should NOT have been surprised by this time, when, upon calling Guest Services, that one could be made available on request only - the reason? the hotel was "saving on energy." Good grief!! This is not a Joe and Fred's corner hotel, people, this is a HILTON!! We have stayed at Hiltons in the past, and this hotel was definitely NOT up to the usual standard.

After poking my head into the petri dish of a tiny, overheated, sorry excuse for a fitness centre, I decided to take a pass. I noticed others must have reached the same conclusion; for a hotel that was "fully booked," both the pool area and the fitness area were deserted.

I see someone else (in August!) has also commented on the single working elevator - seems that the second elevator is permanently out of service! How inconvenient for your many, many guests (this hotel always seems to be full - how does that happen?) I read here something about a bellman. Bellman? I was manoeuvering three very full trolleys (with medical supplies) onto the single elevator. I was given a trolley (which seemed to have been locked away) but no hotel staffer made the slightest move to either help me with the trolley or to even open a door (I am a slight female). My head is still reeling.

Upon checkout, I was asked if my stay was satisfactory, and I cited some of these points. I was offered a free lunch - not acceptable compensation.

A pleasant view and a good location is fine, and convenient for conventions and business travelers, but PLEASE, people, if you are a tourist or just someone who is with your family and expecting a quality experience, run, don't walk, away from this place - I know we couldn't wait to leave.

Many of our friends travel to Burlington on a regular basis; not only will we not be back, but I will never recommend it to others (in fact, the opposite).

Two disappointed Canadians

Room Tip: Look somewhere else!
3 Thank Marcia G
Drewson1, General Manager at Hilton Burlington, responded to this review, October 19, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I am so sorry that you had such a terrible experience. We take pride in the many positive reviews that we recieve as well as take guest feedback such as yours constructively. I will sort through your commentary and be sure to look into how you came to this perception of our hotel. The fact that we have an outstanding team, location and hotel makes you review most concerning.. We hope that you will reconsider and return as my guest.

Jeff Webb | General Manager
Hilton Burlington,
60 Battery Street Burlington VT 05401
Hotel: 802-658-6500
Direct: 802-859-5034
Fax: 802-863-7818
Also consider these accommodations in or near Burlington
Sheraton Burlington Hotel
Hotel Vermont
Hotel Vermont
#1 of 8 in Burlington
Best Western Plus Windjammer Inn & Conference Center
Best Western Plus Windjammer Inn...
#3 of 12 in South Burlington
Green Mountain Suites Hotel
Green Mountain Suites Hotel
#2 of 12 in South Burlington

Been to Hilton Burlington? Share your experiences!