“Less than desirable...”

Holiday Inn Club Vacations Mount Ascutney Resort
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Brownsville
Reviewed July 23, 2006

My husband and I stayed at the Ascutney Mountain "Resort" this past weekend (July 21, 2006) for two nights. There is no AC, no elevators, the rooms are really old...and actually have a metal key. We were up in an attic room and it was not dormered. There was no hair dryer, our tilt in window didn't open because someone installed a screen (bee infestation) and the rails made it phyically impossible to open it. Our TV's power button was broken off and we had no tv remote and had to call the desk to have them drop one off which took around 15 minutes. The walls are paper thin and I would never stay here again. Go ten minutes north and stay at White River Junction. This place might be decent and more staffed in the winter and should only be stayed at then.

• Stayed: June 2006, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Peasoupme

Reviewed July 23, 2006

To start off check in is at 5pm. Of course we showed up at 3:30. Most places this isnt a problem. We travel a lot. When check in is 1 or 2 you can not expect a room to be ready. But lots of times they are. Why, cuz the staff is busy doing their job. When I was told the room wasnt ready that was fine with me. The Tavern in the resort wasnt open till 4:30 so we went up the road to the New England BBQ Championships. That was cool. Back to the resort at 6:10. Still not ready. The woman behind the desk was aggravated with me. Me? I wasnt pissy or rolling my eyes or complaining in any way. Finally at 6:30 we get the room key. We travel up the mountain, the tar portion of the road had lots of potholes but lucky for us it wasnt tar long. The dirt road had just as many pot holes. The building was in rough shape. The other buildings look like they may be getting a face lift not this one. I went to put the key in the door and it opened. Get it? I didnt unlock or turn the handle. It just opened. We tried it several times. Sometimes it would lock sometimes not. Ok were in. The bathroom was dirty. Toilet paper on the floor. Hair in the sink. Give me a break. What was housekeeping doing? The room is small with no ac. Good thing the bed was a king and comfy.The walls are very thin you could everything the guest next to you was doing. Everything, get it. I am taking a shower and the fire alarm goes off. I thought it was someone else nope wave a towel by the sensor and off it goes. I wanted another room. NO chance full up. I wanted a refund. No chance. I am not a happy camper but maybe some food and a drink will help. Down to the Tavern we go. There is like20 tables 1 waiter 1 waitress. Of course they are stressed and not happy. The food was good. It took forever and dont ask for anything at all cuz they didnt have time. Last winter was not a good snow year. This place has been out of business before. They are short staffing the place and cutting corners. I paid 119 a night for a 60 a night room tops. There is lots to see and do in this area. Just dont stay here. Now if you are going there to ski that might be a different story. Ask someone that has skied there. I am reviewing the resort. Dont waste your money.

• Stayed: July 2006, traveled as a couple
10  Thank hckycrazee
Reviewed July 22, 2006

We traded our timeshare week in Maui for this, in order to use the week and visit with family from New York. It served its purpose, which was a place to sleep. We stayed on the road most days, tubing the white river near by and whale watching off the Mass. coast with 7 Seas Whale Watch ( and THEY are great!)
No Air, and we were there in the hot summer, but opened the windows and had fans.
Furnishings leave a lot to be desired but are servicable, outside pool in need of repair, Lobster dinner on premises was excellent.
No comparison to our place in Maui, but we enjoyed haveing the time to visit with family and "made do" with these accommadations. Just dont expect anything great.

• Stayed: July 2006, traveled with family
3  Thank clearlakelady
A TripAdvisor Member
Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed June 3, 2006

My wife and I were supposed to go the Ascutney for a nearby wedding. We reserved a two-room suite for ourselves and our 9-month-old baby. We put down a $190 deposit. Everything seemed fine until we received the confirmation letter letting us know that there was no air conditioning or elevators in the part of the "resort" we were staying. This was never mentioned during out reservation process, and we planned to stay there in the middle of July! When we called to check on this, the man who answered was rude, resistant, and then told us that we could only cancel our reservation by paying a "processing fee." We found this totally unacceptable, especially during the summer with an infant. If this is at all indicative of the establishment's service, then travelers beware. I guess being the lone resort in a given area gives you the freedom to relax the rules and lower your standards.

Stayed: June 2006
5  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
Salem, MA
Reviewed May 15, 2006

We stayed at the resort the weekend of May 13th for my brother's wedding, which was also held at Ascutney. I must say I was a bit worried after all of the negative reviews I had read, but once we got there and checked out the room, my worries were gone. The room was great. We had a 3 bedroom condo in the main building. The room was clean and the furniture was nice. It was very nicely decorated. The rest of the resort was just as nice. The wedding reception was held there, and the function room is huge with lots of windows. Everything worked out wonderfully at the reception. My one complaint would be that the function manager named Regina was extremely rude throughout their wedding planning, but she was fine the day of the wedding. The place looked great although it was their off season. Game room was great for the kids. Lots of nice cozy little nooks to hang out and relax. I was fortunate to see some of the other condos they have there since much of our family was staying at the resort also. They all have unique features and all seemed to be clean and well kept. The only complaint i heard was that they charge $65 dollars to change the bed sheets if you would like fresh ones put on every night. I can honestly say that I can't wait to stay at this resort again!

• Stayed: May 2006
5  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed March 13, 2006

I don't quite understand all these negative reviews. We stayed at Ascutney for 2 nights during the February vacation week. we had a great time!

Let's get this out of the way ASAP. This was a terrible season for snow. No snow means no skiers, means no $, means snow guns are off. That's the ugly truth.
A bad season like this can't be absorbed as easily by a smaller place like Ascutney. So, the conditions were pretty bad. The liftlines were non-existent. That made up for the lack of snow. The terrain looks interesting. Very old-school New England, narrow and curvey. I'd really like to ski this place with a fresh dump of snow.

We stayed in the hotel at the base. Our room wasn't very large, but we also weren't in it that much, so it didn't really matter. It was clean. The bathroom was clean. Housekeeping did a nice job.

We spent most of our free time downstairs in the lobby/lounge area, by the fire , watching the Olympics on the plasma tv. Very comfy.

There were 2 game rooms. We spent ample time in there with the kids. We tubed a little at night. That was fun. Most mountains charge for tubing. Having free tubes outside your door was a nice thing.

I thought the restaurant was excellent. I had a gorgonzola crusted steak in a martini sauce that was one of the best dishes I have ever had. Everyone at my table agreed.

The cafe downstairs was a convenient spot for a snack and for a light breakfast, muffins, cereal that sort of thing.

Everything being walking distance from my room was the biggest plus. The ski shop, the rental shop, the food, the ski school right outside my door was a huge thing for two families traveling with children.

The ski school was outstanding! Super organized. Super friendly. Very safe. A big mouse mascot. A warming hut 30 feet from the kids learning area. Top notch. My 7 year old and her best friend loved it.

They also loved the pool. I did too. My wife, a marathon runner and triatlete was happy with the gym and the massage.

I don't need nightlife. I have a 7 year old.

All in all, I can't wait to go back and I hope all you naysayers stay away. Go to Killington and Statton and wait in lines and act like you're somebody important. I'd rather stay in the old-school Vermont, the one I was raised visiting and I'm more than happy to ski right to the lift and not worry about my kid getting lost in the shuffle. It's worth the trip.

• Stayed: February 2006
6  Thank chrisbarry
Reviewed March 12, 2006

First they lost our reservation and it took them a hr. to get it figured out. After we are told the in-door pool is closed. When we got to the room it was small, musty and no table or chairs in the room to site down on only the bed. The room was so hot we had to open a window because they didn't have a thermostat in the room. The bathroom was scary looking and outdated. The maid walked into our room while we were sleeping in the morning not once but three times. No ice machine or anything else to make this weekend enjoyable, and the place was totally empty, now we know why.

• Stayed: October 2005
4  Thank sandybeachneveragain
Also consider these accommodations in or near Brownsville
Jackson Gore Inn
Fireside Inn & Suites
#4 of 8 in Lebanon
Holiday Inn Express Springfield
Holiday Inn Express & Suites White River Junction
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Whi...
#2 of 8 in White River Junction

Been to Holiday Inn Club Vacations Mount Ascutney Resort? Share your experiences!