Holiday Inn Club Vacations Mount Ascutney Resort
Rodeway Inn(Claremont)
$75
RodewayInn
Castle Hill Resort And Spa(Cavendish)(Great Value!)
$232
The Pointe at Castle Hill Resort(Cavendish)(Great Value!)
$129
Hotels.com
506 On The River Inn(Woodstock)(Great Value!)
$239
Sleep Woodstock Motel(Woodstock)(Great Value!)
$118
$362
$349
TripAdvisor
TripAdvisor
All reviewsbedroom villamain buildingfull kitchenfitness centerharpoon breweryindoor poolnightly moviesremote areatennis courtslimited hoursthree bedroomski areaweight roommovie nightlaundry roomsimon pierceprice chopper
Reviewed September 30, 2008

We decided to stay here because we wanted to see a lot of Vermont in a few days, and it was located near major freeways. Off season is not a great time at this resort. The resort is going through some ownership changes and growing pains. The first room we were given was an upstairs room in the Windsor building. The ceiling was very sloped making the room feel small. It had been recently redone and looked nice though. We switched to a room in the main building which hadn't been redone yet but was larger. The restaurant was not open for dinner Monday through Wednesday, the days we were there. Not a big deal because we were out sightseeing every day, but might have been an issue if we wanted to have dinner there. The first day we were there housekeeping did not make up our room. I tried to sign up for the pay Internet but it kept telling me I had used all my minutes when I had only used 10. I don't recommend using that. Cell phones did not work, so we were out of touch from our petsitter until I could get the phone number to her. The location would be great for winter sports, but not very convenient to other things. Maybe it will be better once the place has been entirely renovated. My husband was disappointed because they did not have ESPN.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank cookiecody
Reviewed September 8, 2008

The resort is in a great setting but it appears to be without management. We booked a room on the phone and, as required by the resort, provided a credit card number that was billed in advance for the entire one night stay. When checking out, the desk person (who appeared to be unqualified) said that he had no record of any payment and insisted that he run the credit card again. As I expected, I now find that the original charge did occur and now there is a duplicate charge on my account. I called and they were unable to resolve this without needing time to "investigate". Being unable to handle a basic function like properly charging people for their stay is completely unacceptable. In many other ways, the place was not especially guest oriented. some features were unavailable due to construction (or other reasons) with no warning or advance notice. Check-in time is 5:00 PM and check-out time is 10:00 AM. I'm sure those times work great for housekeeping but they are not so good for the guests. All-in-all, I'll look for other choices when I'm in the area again.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled as a couple
2  Thank aflyer100
Reviewed July 7, 2008

Stay in the Main Building if at all possible. I came for a family gathering. Most family members stayed in the Main Building, but b/c I booked late, I got the Windsor Building down the road. Rooms in the Main Building seem slightly better kept.

Upon entry, the Windsor Building smelled overpoweringly like bacon! It took hours for this odor to go away. But the worst problem was the heat: there’s no air conditioning, and my upper floor room was sweltering. A small fan was little help. The small room’s peeling trim, dated and dingy furnishings, sad curtains, and bouncy pillows were depressing. At least the bathroom was clean.

Although the air conditioning was also broken in the Main Building for a while, it eventually came back on in most, though not all, rooms, and the hallways remained hot. After twice complaining about my Windsor room to the front desk, they eventually let me out of the 2nd night on my contract, which I appreciated, and I moved into my parents’ Main Building room, a spacious suite where the AC worked. There I pulled out the sofa bed, which I promptly folded back up after discovering it’s unbearably lumpy mattress. I slept on top of the reassembled sofa, which smelled strongly of cigarettes despite being a non-smoking room.

Other family members in our group had similar complaints, and one family even left for another hotel altogether.

Food in the restaurant was fine. I really enjoyed the Skunk Hollow Tavern for dinner, about a 15 minute drive away.

Ascutney enjoys a lovely location, but the property needs a major facelift.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled with family
4  Thank TravelAndShoes
Reviewed June 30, 2008

This stay was just OK. I could write pages but I will try to stick to the major points...

I grew up about an hour from here so I realized the difficulty of using cell phones, having satellite TV instead of cable and having to go into town to get anything so all of that was no surprise. What we were looking for was quiet time and some hiking/ swimming with the kids.

That said this resort does not cater to summer guests. On check in the person at the front desk was not rude but did not go out of his way to be helpful. We were given our map to the Windsor building and that was it.

We found multiple problems with our room (actually by check out a two column page of problems) that although clean was wanting for a lot to be a good resort. One window crank was broken, most of the screens were held in with scotch tape, half of the list of kitchen items was broken or missing, the rooms were outdated (with the exception of granate counter tops thrown into bathrooms that didn't match them) and the wall paper was peeling. The walk to the main building was scary with our 3 year old because most of the stair treads were loose and concrete everywhere was crumbling. There was no daycare or children's programs (there was a flyer on the bulletin board that we realized was last year's June/July schedule of children’s activities), and there was very little useful information posted anywhere (housekeeping costs, local grocery stores, what to do with trash etc.). The room phone is expensive. If you have small children beware there is a permanent bench next to the door which my daughter figured out quickly how to stand on to open the locked door. The major issue we had was with the pools. The outdoor pool was mostly empty with sludge at the bottom of it most of our stay. We asked the desk person at the pool what was going on and apparently they choose the end of June to do their maintenance work on the outdoor pool! We were lead to believe it may be open by the end of our stay. On the day before we left I asked a different pool attendant when the pool would be open and was given a huge runaround he even joked that no one would want to go into the pool because it would be too cold. Eventually I got my answer- even though it was now full it would be another two weeks before anyone would be allowed in. This would not have been such a huge problem if the indoor pool was not so disgusting. The pool deck is chipped/cracked and dirty. There was mold around the lip of the pool and the sides and bottom of the pool had a brownish tinge (in a blue pool) that I did not want to think about. The hot tub only half worked. The once white pool chairs were shades of brown and quite a few were broken but still in service around the pool.

Pros- For the most part very quiet, free use of tennis rackets, basket balls, and courts was great. Nice playground for small kids (not much fun for our 9 year old). The housekeeping staff we did run into was very nice. The Windsor building is the closest to the playground and pool buildings but a hike with small kids to the main building. There is a nice arcade on site which the 9 year old loved. The resort is central to quite a few hiking and State park areas. The resort has a list of hiking trails and fairly good directions to get to them.

If this was my home resort I would wonder where my maintainance fees go. This is probably a great place for skiing (the lift really does go right through the resort), and most of the cosmetic issues would be covered in snow. As far as summer goes, if you are looking for peace and quiet with maybe some bike riding or hiking and not much else this would be a good place. Otherwise skip it.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled with family
4  Thank flutterby24a
Reviewed June 16, 2008

We spent the 2nd week in June here. We did our booking through Interval International ie it is a timeshare swop. We were placed in the Hanover Building which I gather is owned by Snowdance the timeshare lot, on the top floor. As you walked into the building it was coolish and by the time you had got to the 3rd floor the corridors were like a furnace - the units have no A/c and on the top floor have skylights with no blinds, so the sun just baked in - do NOT accept a unit on the top floor! We were forced to sleep on the couch downstairs to get a little bit of relief at night. The unit itself was OK - ish - we had a torn couch and the carpets were grimy, judging by my feet, but the exterior was shabby and had paint peeling off everywhere. Window catches were either off or missing - we propped open the windows with coathangers and saw others doing the same! Interestingly enough the other blocks had had some maintenance done, so we guessed that in Hanover it was up to the timeshare lot and they were not doing it!
We had a 4 day heatwave with temps approaching 100 by day, and even in June the outside pool was not full, or even being filled - We think money is the issue here, as they will then need to employ lifeguards. Not good though when it is very hot and you do not want to swim in the indoor pool! The staff appeared indifferent and casual. This is a great location, but the resort needs some serious maintenance, and we would not recommend it to others.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled as a couple