“As relaxing 'baby-cation' in Vermont: read my detailed review”

Holiday Inn Club Vacations Mount Ascutney Resort
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Brownsville
Reviewed September 21, 2012 via mobile

My wife and I decided to use our time share points to visit Ascutney Mountain Resort in September 2012 before we become new parents in December. We wanted a place to relax, be comfortable, and have easy access to day trips and sight seeing.

Check in: Fast and efficient. The staff member offered local directions, help with our luggage (our room was on the top floor and as other reviewers have mentioned, there are no elevators), and was very welcoming.

Our room: we booked a two bedroom villa as we thought another couple were going to travel with us, but we ended up travelling alone. My first words were "holy crap! It has an upstairs!" Our villa had a large flat screen tv, a smaller tv in each bedroom, 3 a/c units, a fireplace, WiFi, a great kitchen with all new appliances, a great view from the patio, 2 full bathrooms.... I could go on. Not your typical hotel room. Oh, as for beds, there were 2 singles in one room and two doubles in the other.

Location: less than an hour from many great sights and flavours of Vermont. We would recommend Fox Hollow Tavern, Sagebrush farm, the Dartmouth College campus and Manchester.

Amenities & Grounds: I'll be honest, the sight of the closed ski hill is a bit weird if not creepy but hopefully this is temporary and new owners will come in. The lawns were all mowed, trimmed and I didn't see a single piece of garbage on the property. The fitness center is a stand-alone building but we just drove to and from because the mornings were a bit cool. The pool was nice and warm and very quiet every morning. Not a screaming child to be found :) We didn't use the gym but the equipment was extensive. The beaver pond on the property was very cool and made for some great photo ops.

Food: we only tried the food one night and weren't very adventurous. The chicken fingers and wings were pretty good, but nothing extraordinary. Too many restaurants to try and we liked to save $ by cooking in our room.

Complaints? I'd have to be creative and say maybe put more toilet paper in the washrooms and get your money back from the company that installed the tile in the kitchens and bathrooms. That's about it. Most of the grout was cracked and some tiles were soon to follow. Too bad.

Awesome place to take a family to relax or see Vermont in day trips. Not a 5 star glitzy dreamland, but a comfortable resort for those in need of rest and relaxation.

• Stayed: September 2012
4  Thank gsmackay
HIClubVacationsAMR1, General Manager at Holiday Inn Club Vacations Mount Ascutney Resort, responded to this reviewResponded September 25, 2012

Thank you so much for the wonderful comments. We love that we are a relaxing place, where you can find peaceful surrondings and still have access to many of our Vermont attractions.

I will be sure to share you comments with our staff, who are always eager to discover our guest expectations and how we can deliver them.

I hope you have the opportunity to return some day. Take Care and Happy Traveling, AMY

Reviewed September 18, 2012

We stayed here two years ago (July 2010) when my partner and a friend were running the Vermont 100. The locaton was perfect for us - just a short drive to the race start / finish, and the sevice was very friendly. The kitchen in the suite we had was nearly as large as the one in my apartment and was well equipped. The on-site laundry facilities were much appreciated and the surrounding countryside is beautiful. The pool was a short walk away but it seemed well maintained and there were plenty of pool-side chairs for sitting out. You are in the heart of rural Vermont at Ascutney and, believe me, it really is as pretty as the pictures you see! We did not partake in the dining room facilities, but perhaps we should have....the only negative thing I have to say about our stay is that there isn't a place to grab an inexpensive meal close by. With the kitchen facilities in the room being so great, however, this was only an issue on one day. For the most part, we simply bought a few groceries and made our own food.

Previous reviews I had read made some complaints about noise filtering in from adjoining rooms, particularly in the one bedroom suites like we had, but this was not an issue for us. The hotel was quite full with runners, but you would not have known this by the noise level.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank Orancathy
HIClubVacationsAMR1, General Manager at Holiday Inn Club Vacations Mount Ascutney Resort, responded to this reviewResponded September 19, 2012

Thank you very much for the great review. We love hosting our Vermont 100 and Vermont 50 participants. I will certainly share your comments with my staff. I hope you'll have the opportunity to join us again next year.

We are in the heart of Vermont rural country and local dining is a bit of a drive. Brownsville General Store near the base of the resort offers great sandwiches and full breakfasts. You'll have to give Browns Tavern, here on the resort, a try for dinner on your next visit. We offer many tasty, local favorites. Take Care and Happy Traveling, AMY

Reviewed September 12, 2012 via mobile

Awesome Awesome Awesome location. In the middle of no where and perfect

Located in middle of rural Vermont. Near Harpoon Brewery and a great local sandwich shop.

The resort it self is super clean and modern. The suites are huge and well appointed. Nice living room couch and TV. I felt more like I was in a home away from home rather than a hotel.

On site dining was good and breakfast was a standard continetal. The little shop had a lot of stuff in it that was needed during your stay.

Front desk was nice and efficient.

• Stayed: July 2012
1  Thank BostonIrishRIPJoe62
HIClubVacationsAMR1, General Manager at Holiday Inn Club Vacations Mount Ascutney Resort, responded to this reviewResponded September 13, 2012

Thank you for the wonderful review. I will certainly share this with my staff. They love seeing these great comments and specifics about your visit. Thank you for mentioning the Marketplace. We are always looking for some new ideas and products to provide.

I hope you have a chance to visit us again sometime in the future.

Again, we certainly enjoy your feedback. Take Care and Happy Traveling, AMY

Reviewed September 11, 2012

I stayed with 2 friends in a 2 bedroom villa. The front desk was very friendly and helpful. The restaurant was ok, but the selections were underwhelming and a little pricey. We were starving and it was late, so it worked. Our villa was clean and spacious. We were busy during the day at a nearby event, so we really didn't make full use of the room or the resort, but I wouldn't hesitate to stay there again - and likely will. It was a good value for the money.

The beds were comfortable. The bedrooms and bathrooms were clean and spacious. The furnishings were not fancy, but were up to date and comfortable. There is no cell phone service.

We were very pleased with our choice.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
HIClubVacationsAMR1, General Manager at Holiday Inn Club Vacations Mount Ascutney Resort, responded to this reviewResponded September 12, 2012

Thank you very much for your review of the resort during your recent stay. We truly value all of our guest comments. I have shared them with my staff. It is great to know that you will return again. We look forward to that visit.

Please don't hesitate to let us know while you are visiting if there is anything we can do to make your stay more enjoyable.

Reviewed September 10, 2012

We expected more. The accommodations are great, the staff are friendly and helpful. The restaurant is lacking. The dinners are a little pricey, which would be ok but salad is alacart and no bread with dinner. The waitress was way to shy and we never saw her except when she took our order, brought the food and brought the check. The food was ok. This being a Holiday Inn property I would have thought it would be better. We went and bought food and ate in our room.

Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Bob0409

Thank you very much for your recent review of the resort and especially our restaurant. In our effort to meet the expectation of our guests, your comments are very valuable to us. I have already shared them with our restaurant staff.

I hope you'll have an opportunity to return in the future. Take Care and Happy Traveling, AMY

Reviewed September 8, 2012

I spent 3 wonderful days at the Ascutney resort in the one bedroom unit with my partner and 14 year old daughter. The unit was extremely clean and had all the amenities of home. Kitchen was fully equiped which permitted us to enjoy home-cooked breakfasts and dinners. Furnishings were very modern and nicely appointed including a large flat screen tv and gas fireplace.The only minor problem we encountered was the quality of the mattresses both in the bedroom and the sofa bed in the living room.
I also found the service to be exceptional. Housekeeping staff and front desk were very helpful and quick to respond to our needs. The grounds are beautiful and very well-maintained in the summer time . All in all, perfect little getaway as a family.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family

Thank you very much for your recent review of the resort. We value your comments and use them to evaluate our service, amenities and other guest expectations. I will certainly share your great observations with our staff.

I hope you'll have the opportunity to visit us again in the future.

Reviewed August 30, 2012

We spent one night there for a local wedding. The room was clean but not spacious. Other members of our party had some mechanical problems, but not us. Bed super comfy.

We didn't eat there, so I can't comment on any of that. Would have liked to have a coffee maker in the room, though.

The outdoor pool was large and the water was crystal clean. The patio area could have used a bit more shade. The towels for the pool were a bit threadbare too, but plentiful.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank David W

Thank you for your review on your recent stay at the resort. Your comments are valuable to us and we use them to evaluate our guest expectations. I will certainly pass on your observations to my staff.

Take Care and Happy Traveling, AMY

Also consider these accommodations in or near Brownsville
Jackson Gore Inn
#3 of 6 in Woodstock
Holiday Inn Express Springfield
Mountain Lodge at Okemo
Holiday Inn Express & Suites White River Junction
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Whi...
#2 of 8 in White River Junction

Been to Holiday Inn Club Vacations Mount Ascutney Resort? Share your experiences!