1868 Crosby House
$86
Latchis Hotel(Brattleboro)(Great Value!)
$100
Savings alert! 11% below average rates

The price you found is 11% lower than this hotel's average rate of $112/night.

All reviewshiking trailsgas fireplaceski jumprose roomhighly recommend staying herecharming b bnew englandamazing breakfastlocation is greatfarmers marketdietary needsgreat weekendshort walkeach morningplenty of parkingeasy accesscomfortable bed
Reviewed January 3, 2014

My husband and I spent New Year's Eve in Brattleboro, arriving at the Crosby House on Dec. 30. From the moment Lynn opened the door to let us in, we felt at home. The home is wonderfully decorated reflecting the 1868 era. I felt like I had gone back in time! The rooms are so cozy and inviting. In fact, it was so cold in Brattleboro New Years Eve day, that we just hunkered down and enjoyed. Lynn's breakfasts are the best we have had at B&Bs. What a nice touch having her husband deliver coffee to us in the morning. He is quite a guy and makes an excellent cup of coffee. I know someone posted that the room was cold at night. I couldn't disagree more. The bedding is very warm and cozy. My husband gets cold easily and he was very comfortable. Now that I've experienced the Crosby House, I intend to go back in the finer weather to enjoy the gardens and hike around a bit.

Room Tip: My favorite room was the blue room. It has a wonderful jacuzzi!
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
lkuralt, Owner at 1868 Crosby House, responded to this reviewResponded February 1, 2014

Thank you for those kind words! We're looking forward to your next visit to enjoy the warmer weather in our gardens, hiking trails and our unique town.

Reviewed January 1, 2014

We stayed for 2 nights including New Year's Eve, and The 1868 Crosby House became one of our 2 favorite getaway spots. Start with early--1 PM!--check-in and the tour of the building, great common room, a DVD/CD\book library and assorted toilets in case we forgot anything. Continue with a very nice room, 2 chairs for 2 people, a real closet, very comfortable bed,extra towels in the bathroom.

We did have one glitch, a backed-up toilet, but Lynne and Richard gave us another room, this one with a Jacuzzi.

Lynn's breakfasts are the best we ever had--anywhere. First of all, coffee comes to the room 30 minutes before breakfast. Breakfast itself includes plenty of juice and of course more coffee, fruit as the first course,and a hot entree that is beyond belief. We had poached pears one day, kiwi and clementines another for the fruit course. French toast croissants, , egg ham and cheese baked combo. words and attempted descriptions cannot do justice to the actual presentation and melt in your mouth deliciousness of the breakfasts.

Pluses:

Single serve coffee, tea and hot cider and cookies are available 24\7.

The Jacuzzi was designed for real people,that is, all the controls were above the area where people actually are in the tub--no bumping against faucets, valves, etc. A timer letsd you set the amount of time you want the jets on.

Of course thew rooms have TVs, DVDs\VCRs alarm clocks and radios, Free wi-fi.

Minor minuses--which make this a 4.8 rather than full five star review:

Some of the bathrobes are too small for"plus-size" people (like moi)

Chairs are not well situated to view the TV.

There is some traffic noise if the room fronts Rt. 9--as ours did..

Bottom line:
Yes, we plan to go back, after all, no place--at least that we've ever been to, is perfect, and this one is closer than most.

Finally, the bitter cold prevented us from trying the hiking trails, even with snowshoes.

Room Tip: If you are a light sleeper, try for a room that doesn't front Rt. 9.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you! By the way....we have replaced those robes that had shrunk in the wash...just delivered last week! We enjoyed your visit....come again soon!

Reviewed December 21, 2013

This is a lovely B&B that wasn't quite right for me, though others may enjoy staying here. Here are the PROs and CONs as I see them; you can decide which are important to you.

PROS
1. The common rooms, grounds, and guest room were lovely and clean. 2. Breakfast was very good - the hosts even inquired about special dietary needs. 3. It was quiet in the house at night.

CONS
1. We found both the house and our room too cold, even though the hosts told us "the heat is on." I run warmer than my partner, and it's rare for me to find a room too cold. There was a gas fireplace in our room, but the two-hour timer prevented running it through the night. 2. The road noise from Western Ave woke me in the night, even though I wear earplugs when I travel. Noise-sensitive people may want to research their room options.

A nitpick: we have to have our coffee in the morning, so we were pleased to see a Keurig machine in the common room. But whenever we tried to use it, the host insisted on pouring us a cup of coffee from the kitchen, which was not strong the way we like it. We tried to tactfully indicate our preference for the Keurig coffee, but the host didn't (or wouldn't) understand.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms that face Western Ave if you are noise-sensitive.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Kurt12

Though it's rare, it always disappoints us when we have not been able to give our guests an overall good experience. To be sure, we Vermonters are energy conscious, but not to the point where our guests are uncomfortable - I apologize, wish I'd known. And it's hard to make coffee that meets everyone's criteria these days and that Keurig sure helps, especially with Starbucks fans!

Reviewed December 3, 2013

Moments from the center of Brattleboro, the house full of charm. Lynn, the owner, was wonderful. With her guidance, we made a day trip exploring nearby locales. The room was warm and immaculate. We would definitely visit again.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
lkuralt, Manager at 1868 Crosby House, responded to this reviewResponded February 1, 2014

Thank you! Come back soon!

Reviewed November 19, 2013

Our stay was brief but the house was lovely, inviting, and well managed; It was a very open and comfortable place to be in. If I had to think of one complaint, it was that no soap was provided in the shower; however, this minor detail is overshadowed by the pleasant and comfortable atmosphere the place provided as well as the amazing breakfast the morning had to offer. It was a fulfilling and wonderful experience.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple