“Best BB Ever!!!”

Inn on Putney Road Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #1 of 4 Brattleboro B&B and Inns
Reviewed March 10, 2013

My wife and I were looking for a weekend getaway and we found the best BB we ever stayed at. The staff was awesome very friendly and outgoing. The house was spotless and the breakfast was great. I would defiantly recommend it to everyone.

Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
FortyPutneyRoad, Owner at Inn on Putney Road Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded March 14, 2013

So happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us! Looking forward to your return.

Reviewed February 26, 2013

My husband and I just returned from a lovely stay at 40 Putney Road. As I am seven months pregnant, we were looking for the perfect "babymoon" -- a relaxing weekend away before our lives get turned upside down. Innkeeper, Rhonda, made this possible! We accidentally booked the inn for Saturday/Sunday evenings and were shocked when we made this discovery upon check-in on a Friday evening. The inn was booked to capacity and Rhonda did everything to make sure we would get a decent accommodation elsewhere that evening. She ended up booking us at the Putney Inn. Rhonda was very concerned about our comfort -- I think she felt more badly than we did about the mistake. Putney Inn was fine but we were excited to "really" check in to 40 Putney on Saturday. Rhonda made sure our room, The New Room, was the first to be cleaned and we were able to check in two hours early. The room was soooo comfortable -- take this from a pregnant woman who has to sleep propped up on four pillows. The common spaces were relaxing. We enjoyed tea and a beer by the fire on Saturday afternoon. Sunday's breakfast was amazing. Rhonda is a talented chef and she was thorough in making sure that she accommodated guests with allergies. With a baby on the way, I don't know when, but we WILL be back!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
FortyPutneyRoad, Owner at Inn on Putney Road Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded February 28, 2013

Next time, you're coming for three days!! Thank you both. You were a pleasure to meet. Don't forget to send me baby pictures!

Reviewed January 22, 2013

My girlfriend and I spent three nights in the Ripley Suite this past weekend. The myriad glowing reviews of 40 Putney Road are not overstated.

I booked the trip as a birthday gift a few months ago and was concerned when the property was sold in the interim, as our choice of venue was based in large part on reviews under prior ownership. Not to worry -- Rhonda is a spectacular an innkeeper as you could ever hope to encounter. Her hospitality and her breakfasts are outstanding.

The photos of the accommodations speak for themselves. The Ripley Suite is spacious yet cozy, and was well worth the added cost. The separate hot tub building at the rear of the property, overlooking the Retreat Meadow, is a nice touch (and has its own fireplace, too).

The hiking trail through the woods behind the property is a pleasant outdoor excursion. It gets a little hilly to the right (and eventually dead-ends), but the trail is certainly within the purview of a novice hiker. The view through the Retreat Meadow to the farm on the other side is quite peaceful.

For nearby restaurants, don't miss T.J. Buckley's, Three Stones, or Fireworks. We also had drinks at The Metropolis, Fireworks, and the former innkeepers' establishment, Whetstone Station -- all excellent.

Mount Snow is about a 30-minute drive away for skiing, snowboarding, tubing, and snowmobiling. The two-hour snowmobile tour is a blast -- until you're on the way back down, you don't even realize how far up into the mountains you've gone.

We will be back, and hopefully soon.

Room Tip: The additional luxury and space of the Ripley Suite is well worth the added cost. The other rooms i...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
FortyPutneyRoad, Owner at Inn on Putney Road Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded January 31, 2013

It was my pleasure! Thank you!

Reviewed January 16, 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed in the Hummingbird Room at this Inn while we searched for apartments in Brattleboro. The buildings and grounds are stately and perfectly appointed, and our room was comfortable and filled with special little extras. For example, we opened our refrigerator to find two delicious Vermont-made sodas (no high fructose corn syrup or artificial colorings!) and enjoyed the granola bars, chips, and other snacks in the basket on top. The most charming aspect of the Inn, however, is Rhonda. A recent transplant (as we will be) to Brattleboro from Florida, Rhonda was extremely warm but professional, accommodating, and gracious. As I don't eat eggs, cheese, milk, etc., Rhonda went out of her way to make me a lovely and satisfying breakfast, and my boyfriend enjoyed her fresh raspberry muffins and maple butter - he said it was the best muffin he had ever tasted. Upon our arrival, we were sad to learn that the pub was temporarily closed due to the pending liquor license (as the Inn changed hands from the former owner to Rhonda), but that was quickly resolved when Rhonda offered us two complimentary and delicious craft beers (which she could not sell to us). Considering we will be moving to Brattleboro, we may not have the opportunity/need to stay at the Inn in the future, but what a wonderful person to have met, and a wonderful place to recommend when we have visitors. The location is a quick walk to downtown, and the Inn has plenty of parking. Thank you for a wonderful trip Rhonda, and best wishes for the continued success of the Inn.

Room Tip: The Hummingbird Room is detached from the rest of the Inn, which we enjoyed for extra privacy, but w...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
FortyPutneyRoad, Owner at Inn on Putney Road Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded January 18, 2013

Thank You! Can't wait to have you as a neighbor!

Reviewed January 14, 2013

This B&B changed ownership just a few weeks prior to out reservations. The new innkeeper, Rhonda, made us feel right at home. The inn itself is an attractive house with super comfortable common areas to hang out in and nicely decorated bedrooms. Rhonda has so many little extras stocked for her guests through out the inn and in the bedrooms, we were impressed with the thoughtfulness. We thoroughly enjoyed the big hot tub on the property and the pool table in the living room. The breakfasts were amazing, Rhonda cooks them herself, and we were very happy both mornings with what she served. The inn no longer has beer tastings, offered with the previous owners, but the pub is still there to enjoy (Rhonda was waiting for her liquor license to come, so she served us complimentary drinks when we arrived since she could not open up the pub for sales yet). It is a lovely property in the winter, we hope to see it in the warmer weather as well one day. Highly recommend TJ Buckley's for a special dinner, and Amy's for unbelievable soups and sandwiches if looking for a lunch spot. We walked into town during the day (ten minutes to the center) but parking looked to be fairly easy as well. We stayed in the Garden Room which was super comfortable and had a really nice view, and another couple we were traveling with opted for The New Room, which looked comfy and cozy, they were very happy as well.

Room Tip: We peeked in all but one room on the second floor and there was something nice about each one. The s...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple

It was my pleasure to prepare breakfast for you! Look forward to seeing you in the warmer days!

Reviewed January 11, 2013

Forty Putney Road is a beautiful B&B. My husband and I stayed New Year's Eve and I couldn't be more pleased. From the moment we walked in the door, Rhonda took care of our every need. She toured through the entire house (except bedrooms that people were renting) and showed us where everything we might need could be found. Everything from coffee always brewing in the living room to hot tub towels near the back door to silverware and plates in the upstairs sunroom just in case you wanted to order a pizza or something. She was ultra accommodating in helping us find a place to eat last minute on New Year's Eve, and the restaurant she chose seated us immediately. She even provided a champagne toast at the inn before dinner. Breakfast was wonderful - egg and cheese souffle, French toast in a croissant. Our room, the Garden Room, was also lovely....and again, she thought of everything - fluffy white robes, explanation for how to adjust the heat so we'd be comfortable, DVDs and books outside our door. Even the tiniest gestures were appreciated, like taking my coat and hanging it in the closet in our room. Her daughter was visiting and helping and she was a doll also! I wish them the very best! If her food and service stays at this level, she'll be very successful!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple

It was my pleasure to enjoy New Year's with you both!

Reviewed December 27, 2012

I was a little concerned when I received an email notifying me that the b & b had changed owners right before the weekend of our reservation. But my concern was for naught.
My boyfriend and I stayed in the New Room. We loved the old-timey bathroom fixtures, the big comfy arm chair and the plush bathrobes. We're not normally b & b people and we really appreciated the more modern additions such as the microwave down the hall, the fridge in the room, the free wi-fi and the tv with dvd player. The dvd library was a great antidote to a dreary Saturday afternoon.
Breakfast was really good. I especially loved the granola with warm apple and banana. On both days the breakfast was hearty but not so huge that I felt like taking a nap afterwards. Coffee was readily available as well. They easily accommodated my vegetarian diet. I liked the restaurant style seating arrangements at breakfast (rather than one big table). My only issue with breakfast was that it ended at 9:30. I like to sleep a little late on the weekends, especially when on a vacation.
My only other issue was that the bed was too soft and I woke up with a sore back both mornings. Obviously, this is a personal thing and may not be the case for everyone.
Really, the best thing about Forty Putney Road was that it had all of the positives of a bed & breakfast (cool old house, nice grounds, quiet, not cookie cutter decor) and none of the negatives (invasive hosts, family style breakfast, etc.) If we find ourselves in Brattleboro again I'm sure we'll stay here.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Not_from_here617

Look forward to seeing you again!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Brattleboro
Latchis Hotel
Chesterfield Inn
Chesterfield Inn
#1 of 2 in West Chesterfield
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites

Been to Inn on Putney Road Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!