“Rhonda is a wonderful hostess!”

Inn on Putney Road Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #1 of 4 Brattleboro B&B and Inns
Reviewed January 11, 2013

Forty Putney Road is a beautiful B&B. My husband and I stayed New Year's Eve and I couldn't be more pleased. From the moment we walked in the door, Rhonda took care of our every need. She toured through the entire house (except bedrooms that people were renting) and showed us where everything we might need could be found. Everything from coffee always brewing in the living room to hot tub towels near the back door to silverware and plates in the upstairs sunroom just in case you wanted to order a pizza or something. She was ultra accommodating in helping us find a place to eat last minute on New Year's Eve, and the restaurant she chose seated us immediately. She even provided a champagne toast at the inn before dinner. Breakfast was wonderful - egg and cheese souffle, French toast in a croissant. Our room, the Garden Room, was also lovely....and again, she thought of everything - fluffy white robes, explanation for how to adjust the heat so we'd be comfortable, DVDs and books outside our door. Even the tiniest gestures were appreciated, like taking my coat and hanging it in the closet in our room. Her daughter was visiting and helping and she was a doll also! I wish them the very best! If her food and service stays at this level, she'll be very successful!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
FortyPutneyRoad, Owner at Inn on Putney Road Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded January 18, 2013

It was my pleasure to enjoy New Year's with you both!

Reviewed December 27, 2012

I was a little concerned when I received an email notifying me that the b & b had changed owners right before the weekend of our reservation. But my concern was for naught.
My boyfriend and I stayed in the New Room. We loved the old-timey bathroom fixtures, the big comfy arm chair and the plush bathrobes. We're not normally b & b people and we really appreciated the more modern additions such as the microwave down the hall, the fridge in the room, the free wi-fi and the tv with dvd player. The dvd library was a great antidote to a dreary Saturday afternoon.
Breakfast was really good. I especially loved the granola with warm apple and banana. On both days the breakfast was hearty but not so huge that I felt like taking a nap afterwards. Coffee was readily available as well. They easily accommodated my vegetarian diet. I liked the restaurant style seating arrangements at breakfast (rather than one big table). My only issue with breakfast was that it ended at 9:30. I like to sleep a little late on the weekends, especially when on a vacation.
My only other issue was that the bed was too soft and I woke up with a sore back both mornings. Obviously, this is a personal thing and may not be the case for everyone.
Really, the best thing about Forty Putney Road was that it had all of the positives of a bed & breakfast (cool old house, nice grounds, quiet, not cookie cutter decor) and none of the negatives (invasive hosts, family style breakfast, etc.) If we find ourselves in Brattleboro again I'm sure we'll stay here.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Not_from_here617

Look forward to seeing you again!

Reviewed December 2, 2012

My wife and I recently took a kid free weekend to get away from everything before the craziness of the holiday began.

I must first preface this by saying, that I am a self proclaimed “beer geek” and when we plan trip away I usually look for a good local craft beer scene to able to enjoy while away (my wife likes wine... they also had that!). For over a year I have wanted to visit the Forty Putney Bed and Breakfast. I had sometime ago stumbled onto Tim and Amy’s Beer Blog/Vlog and fell in love with the idea of going to a bed and breakfast that has a pub and serves craft beers.

Our stay was Fantastic!! When we arrived we met Amy and Rhonda (The soon to be new Inn Keeper) in the pub. While we checked in we were able to enjoy a pick of a local beer. Amy gave us a great tour of the common areas of the house and all of the amenities we would be able to enjoy while staying. (including the coffee/tea station, were we could find extra silverware, toiletries we might have forgotten, the water cooler and microwave w popcorn for popping)

She then showed us to our room, the Garden View Room. It was just as advertised on the internet. The room and common areas were super clean (kid, dog & smoke FREE). My fear when staying in a bed and breakfast is either you feel like you are staying in someone’s home or you feel like you are staying in a sterile chain hotel. Forty Putney Rd is exactly how a B&B should feel. It felt private enough that you didn’t feel like you were interrupting someone’s life, but homey enough that you don’t feel like you are staying at “average hotel”. And it’s “doily free” - didn’t feel like an old ladies house. The bed and sheet were amazingly comfortable.

The draw for us to this B&B were the fact that is was Beer centric and friendly. Just like all the reviews say, the Saturday night beer tasting is great. Doug has a professional’s knowledge of beer and brewing. It was a fun and informative event and what made it even better was that it brings you closer with the other guests in the inn. Most of us sat in the pub even after the tasting and enjoyed a few more beers and got to learn about each others lives, and played some pool in the parlor. I hope that this tradition continues at Forty Putney Road.

The breakfast was also not a let down. The two course meal with options is amazing. Amy is a great gourmet breakfasteer (if that is even a word). For us we loved the fact that the food was all local and organic. That this small business of a B&B doesn’t cut costs by getting pre-made foods from Costco, but they source local ingredient from the local CoOp and farmers (local coffee and organic teas as well – from shops on Main St). It was a joy to be able to have Amy’s breakfast.

The Inn is just less than a 10 minute walk to downtown Brattleboro where there are some great shops and restaurants. We recommend checking out Whetstone Station for dinner, which is Amy and Tim’s next endeavor.

Some other quick tips about Forty Putney Rd B&B are: Make sure you play the Inn Bingo and turn your card in at checkout… Also check their facebook page for some great in room add on deals for your stay.

We will continue to keep our eye on this B&B as the new ownership takes over and hope that as little as possible changes and we make a return trim to Forty Putney Rd B&B soon.

Room Tip: I didn't see the rooms in the carriage house, but I am not sure I would want to stay out there...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple

Thank you! You helped make my transition smooth. Wonderful guests!

Reviewed November 25, 2012

I stayed here yesterday and was not disappointed! The room was great as was the entire house. I loved the way it was all decorated. I stayed in the blue moon and stars room. Everything was spotless and the sheets were amazing...so soft (I might have to order me a set)! Edward and Timberly were great. I enjoyed the beer tasting (learned lots) and met some great people at the pub. The location is great and right near everything. I spent the afternoon with the downtown shops, then ate dinner, enjoyed the beer tasting, hit the movies at The Laches and called it a night. Breakfast in the morning was wonderful...broccoli cheese quiche followed by sweet cream filled french toast topped with pecans and pure maple syrup (I'm going to be looking for the recipes on their website). I would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed November 4, 2012

We stayed here for one night. The place is lovely, clean and very quiet. The breakfast was amazing. The service was excellent and we would go back for sure!! A great place to stay in Brattleboro. The location is excellent as well. Right on the main road. Lots of great snacks were provided as well as newspapers. We really enjoyed ourselves here. We would highly recommend this to any travelers.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 24, 2012

Absolutely wonderful. My wife and I stayed here for two days as the start of our 30th wedding anniversary vacation leaf peeping adventure. It is quiet and very relaxing. The sheets on the bed are out of this world. Like sleeping in a cloud. The attention to detail and cleanliness are top notch. The gourmet breakfast are just that. We will be staying here again. Thanks Tim and Amy.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank MRJ61
Reviewed September 24, 2012

Had a great stay at 40 Putney Road! The B&B is very comfortable without being cheesy. Almost like being at home but with better sheets. Rooms have free snacks and a million DVDs. Doug took great care of us in the adorable pub. The inn is super close to downtown. Its an easy walk to great shopping and dining, including the inn keepers brand new restaurant: Whetstone Station (which like the beer and food at the inn, is great). Will definitely be back.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank maj99
Also consider these accommodations in or near Brattleboro
Latchis Hotel
Chesterfield Inn
Chesterfield Inn
#1 of 2 in West Chesterfield
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites

Been to Inn on Putney Road Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!