“We were literally ignored... + horrible smell”

McNeill's Brewery and Pub
Ranked #63 of 111 Restaurants in Brattleboro
Cuisines: Brew Pub
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Late Night
Woonsocket, Rhode Island
“We were literally ignored... + horrible smell”
Reviewed October 17, 2013

I want to preface this by saying I actually did not sample ANY of the beers or food. There was really no opportunity. We found this place and it just seemed like it was going to be quite neat (and seemingly, many of the reviews/reviewers claim that it is) + the beer list looked extensive, so we were excited to go in. As soon as I passed through the door way, it smelled of hot bathroom. Like gross toilet water. Regardless, I thought, "It's warm. It's whatever." We go in and I sit down. Hubby goes up to the bar and after about 10 minutes gets to ask if they do samplers/beer flights. Yeah, apparently they do. Mind you, it was beyond dead in here... we were just waiting for the bar tender to actually acknowledge my husband. But they had lots of beer! We weren't going to let that stop us. So, we took a bit of time and figured out some beers that sounded promising and my husband went back to the bar. Again, it's absolutely dead in here. The woman at the bar totally ignored my husband, was letting a couple at the bar sample some spirits, served a couple of other people, turned around and totally ignored us. I was sitting there, eyes wide. We probably waited another 15 minutes after the initial 10. I suppose that's our fault. Finally, we just left. Totally disappointing. Beer list looked pretty good, but it's Vermont... there is lots of beautiful beer everywhere. We will not be returning. Sad.

• Visited October 2013
6 Thank MaBoogins

Sacramento, California
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Good beers and food, good late-night hangout”
Reviewed October 10, 2013

Brattleboro isn't exactly the type of place you'd expect to have a hopping late-night party scene. But if it's after "normal" dinner times, and you're looking for a drink and a bite to eat, I'd recommend McNeill's. My wife and I were here on our honeymoon, and we'd been enjoying some local Vermont brews at our B&B (Forty Putney Road, which we can't recommend highly enough) and wanted to explore some more. So we drove the short drive to McNeill's - it's easily walkable, although it was a tad chilly that night - and we were not disappointed.

Service was excellent. We had two different bartenders (one of whom was a little older and seemed like he may have been the manager or owner) and they were both pleasant, not overly chatty but very quick to offer recommendations on both food and beer. The beers were outstanding, which seems to have been our experience with Vermont beer in general. And the food was a big surprise! The menu has a big disclaimer that says this place doesn't serve typical bar-style fried food, but rather strives to provide healthier options made with more local ingredients. We split some chips and salsa, with McNeill's homemade salsa (very good, and this is coming from someone who grew up in California, where we know salsa), my wife had a delicious veggie burrito, and I had a tasty and filling cheese pizza.

The only drawback was that they were scheduled to have live music on the night we visited, but the musician(s) never showed up. Sort of a bummer, because we'd seen the sign outside advertising live music and were looking forward to it. But that's not the bar's fault. All in all, this is a good place to grab some good beer and food at perfectly reasonable prices in Brattleboro. Recommended.

• Visited September 2013
Bellows Falls, Vermont
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“great BEERS, great cozy family space”
Reviewed August 7, 2013

i'm shocked! whites only? no way!!! great cozy family environment pub!!!
no, they're not a restaurant but they have 5 great tapas and not 20 bad ones. best beers in vermont! great service, they let you sample everything!!! 3 world cups and over 15 national and international awards proves that!!!

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank FRANCOROCIO
Greenfield, Massachusetts
“Outstanding house-brewed beer”
Reviewed July 22, 2013

Their own ales are really great. The are not commonly available in liquor stores so it's a good idea to visit.

Visited March 2013
Newburgh, New York, United States
“for whites only”
Reviewed June 30, 2013

I have brought guests to McNeill's many times throughout the years. We always enjoyed the beer, the service, and the bar.
My guest were always white.
Memorial Weekend, Saturday night, brought a friend from PR. The young lady behind the bar was courteous to me.
However she refused to serve my friend and told him "you can't hang out here".
I will not set foot in this place again.

• Visited May 2013