Dalem's Chalet
$90
$79
Quality Inn(Brattleboro)
$79
See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed May 15, 2013

I stayed at the Dalem's Chalet in January with my husband and our dog for 3 days.
I have to admit that it could stand some renovation, but this does not mean the place is dirty or badly kept. People sometime can't distinguish between old and dirty. The rooms have everything you need and unless you are used to 5+ stars hotels, you'll be fine. I've seen many newer places that were much dirtier.
The owner, Mrs Ursula, is a sweetheart. She let my dog stay for free and one afternoon invited me over for a chat in front of the fireplace and some truffles. She has so many stories to tell!
Overall, the price is absolutely acceptable for what they offer and if you are not too picky, this is definitely a place I would recommend.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank uberland
Reviewed November 10, 2012

We stayed here for one night on our journey thru VT in early Oct to see the colors. Got great prices from the internet, but made our reservations by phone. The sweet woman running the place said we didn't need a email confirmation, so we crossed our fingers. When we arrived we got the room just fine and pretty much had the place to ourselves (one other guest). The place sits on a bluff up from the main road, so noise was minimal. (The photo of the property is probably 50 years old, so the pond is totally overgrown.) The room (downstairs King) was very spacious, clean, well insulated (walls have to be 12" thick with a wood storm door for winter) with good coffee setup and refrigerator in the room, a wonderful bed but with a low ceiling (which didn't bother us at all). Wi-fi worked but sluggish. We didn't get a chance to sample the German cooking at their restaurant as it was closed that day. Overall, I have to say that this place is a good budget stop for those looking for a non-chain motel run by very friendly down-home folks close to some of the ski areas. We would definitely stay again given the chance.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank DJSwift
Reviewed November 1, 2012

We stayed at Dalem's Chalet during hurricane Irene and a year later, were very happy with the rooms, dining hall, delicious food, quaint ambience, very friendly service, kind advice about the surroundings, internet connection, adaptability to our needs. A huge wedding party was there last time, and they seemed more than comfortable and happy.This is the place to stay in the Brattleboro area.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Antanas S
Reviewed October 17, 2012

This is nothing like a typical hotel chain kind of place. If that is what you are looking for, then this in not the place for you. Quiet, clean rooms with the option of suites availalble. NO frills, (except for the coffee pot, hair dryer and a t.v.) kind of place. Yes, it is an older establishment, but you will not pay the hgh, seriously overpriced rates that the chains charge. There is an authentic German Restaurant on the premises that serves home style, reasonably priced meals. Homemade fresh bread and homemade meals with a fantastic view of the mountains. A perfect place to escape for a long weekend. We have been staying here every year for the last six years and wouldn't stay anywhere else. Mrs. Dalem (the owner) is quite pleasant and friendly. It is close to downtown Brattleboro and Wilmington, not to mention other towns that are close by.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Kat F
Reviewed October 16, 2012

My parents stayed here over the weekend and they had a very nice time. The previous reviews are way too harsh. My parents' room was lovely and clean, with no fancy frills (but a TV and coffee maker of course), and a beautiful view out the window. Yes, the parking lot is unpaved, but it is Vermont, and the establishment suffered some damage from Hurricane Irene last year. I didn't see any damage to anything but the parking lot.

The proprietor is very sweet and welcoming, and obviously cares a lot about her guests and her establishment. It's a family-run chalet, with tons of character, and is a much better option than the other chain motels in the area.

My boyfriend and I joined my parents for dinner in the restaurant and it was great, authentic German food. Delicious sauerkraut and Wienerschitzel and homemade Spätzle!

It's a good price, and a comfortable place to stay.

Room Tip: Rooms on the upper floors have nice views.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family