“We look forward to returning!”
Review of T. J. Buckley's

T. J. Buckley's
Ranked #8 of 111 Restaurants in Brattleboro
Cuisines: American
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Ashland, OR
“We look forward to returning!”
Reviewed April 25, 2006

Once inside the diner exterior, you enter a world of sophisticated cuisine presented with flare and elegance. By limiting the number of customers they serve and the number of choices of entrees to four per night, they can deliver incredible freshness and quality. There is no printed menu, and we mistakenly thought that we were dealing with a prix fixe menu that included several courses. As a result, we ordered appetizers unnecessarily, but my husband was thrilled with his pate, a very generous portion, with unusual accompaniments. I enjoyed my cheese tart, but the size was not proportional to that of his appetizer. Meals do, however include a salad, both fresh and artistically presented. A number of different and inventive vegetable side dishes were included with our main course, which we both enjoyed, but might not please the more conventional meat-and-potatoes diner. I had the best scallops I've ever eaten, accompanied by several wonderful shrimp. My husband likewise proclaimed his halibut to be first rate. We were stuffed, but forced ourselves to order dessert and were glad we did. As other reviewers have noted, the non-credit card policy is a drawback, but that's the only negative we can offer. We'll be back!

4 Thank anne472

A TripAdvisor Member
“Life on the Expensive side”
Reviewed October 9, 2005

Me and my wife recently visited this establishment and we thought everything was excellent. We both had the beef for dinner and it was very exquisite!!!!
The place is very expensive and after tax and tip most will not get out without paying $130, which is quite a bit of money for most people to be spending on just one meal.
The only drawback to this place is their cash or cheque policy. I just feel that when you pay this much for a meal, you should be able to use a credit card as I don't like to carry too much cash...
A nice experience, and the food is very decorative but be prepared to shell out the $$$$$$$$$

1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Portland, Oregon
“A Place to Write Home About!”
Reviewed April 20, 2005

I have been dining here for over 20 years.
It is my restuarant of choice for a fancy occasion.
Do NOT let the fact this restuarant is located in a diner deter you.

This place will seat only 20 max. The kitchen is open to the dining area.
Michael the owner and chef is a treat to watch. There are two seatings. Reservations are a must. No credit cards are accepted. ( Be prepared as this is not a cheap meal ) The menu is limited, with a selection of a few appetitzers, and 3 or 4 entrees. But, there is definitely something that will please everyone. And the salad and desserts are exquisite. Presentation of the food is "art" but this is not a pretentious place by any means.
If you are looking for delicious food served in a fun and unique enviornment, this is the place to eat!

2 Thank sorrisa