“Special Intimate Dining Spot”
Review of T. J. Buckley's

T. J. Buckley's
Ranked #13 of 110 Restaurants in Brattleboro
Cuisines: American
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed March 11, 2014

I dined there two times. First time amazing, second, almost amazing. Maybe it was what I ordered. I definitely will go back. The first time was near perfection. The setting is perfect for foodlovers. From the outside it doesn't look like much. Inside holds just a handful of tables in vintage, original diner with wood paneling that nearly whispers all the stories it has witnessed. Chef Michael works in a tiny display kitchen where you will see (and later taste) your entire order made at the moment before your eyes. He clearly is one of the original farm-to-table chefs before it was so named. He's the real deal. I suggest getting a group of friends together and renting the whole place out for a great food lovers party! It is a bit pricey, but good food is worth it.

Reviewed February 13, 2014

I made reservations for my girlfriend and I for TJ Buckley's on the second night of a long weekend getaway in Brattleboro and boy was that one of the best culinary decisions I've ever made! The diner car setting is unique, if not a tad odd, for this high end dining experience. However, given our romantic stay in town, and the 4-5 inches of fresh snow that was falling, it seemed completely appropriate at the time. The seating area is small. We counted but 6 tables with 18 chairs total giving an immediate coziness and ambiance of romance. Our server was warm and courteous and dressed to kill as we entered and took our seat, no more than 7 feet from Chef Michael as he danced around his kitchen. A small partition was the only thing separating us from from the bustle of what was happening in the kitchen. We order a very nice bottle of Zinfandel and order our appetizer. We settled on the crab cake over an aioli sauce from the list of three that were being offered that night. You probably know by now that there is no menu. You have a choice of 3 appetizers and 3 entrees to chose from and I thought that was pretty darn cool. As we waited for our appetizer, I became fixated on the sous chef preparing the salads for different table. The care and precision that went into making each salad was spectacular...Every leaf, sprout, radish, etc. was hand placed and when mine arrived I sort of felt bad that I was about to ruin the art that was just created. I got over it though and devoured it. Both of us order the Hanger steak as our entree complete with Yukon Gold mashed potatoes, green beans, a roasted turnip, and probably the best short rib that has ever passed across my lips. Everything was aesthetically beautiful not to mention a nice sized portion. The old adage of "You get what you pay for" definitely comes into play at TJ's...Yes, it's pricey, but for the approximately 2 hours we were there, I did not care one single bit. Bottom line, if you like to be a little pampered, eat outstanding food from a Chef who obviously cares about what he does and how he does it, and want to do it in a setting that is unique, romantic, and just flat out works, THIS is your destination. One of the best dining experiences I've ever had. I would highly recommend this spot to anyone I know.

2  Thank Aaron D
Reviewed January 24, 2014

We had read the reviews so were not actually completely surprised with the interior, the wonderful food and great service. It's romantic, intimate and relaxed yet you don't feel crowded by other diners. Our trout tart and crabcake starters were heavenly. Never had anything like that fluffy trout tart! crisp, carefully made salads arrived afterwards and then the rabbit and the hanger steak entrees towere present and they were excellent. We shared the apricot tart and two aromatic Americanos finish off our meal. This is an amazing restaurant to experience in every way. If you appreciate fine food, carefully prepared with seasonal and local ingredients, your meal will rate up there with some of the very few best you've ever had! Loved it!!

1  Thank bagwan
Reviewed January 12, 2014

On our way home to NY from Burlington, Vt we stopped in Brattleboro for dinner. Despite the rave reviews, we almost baled when we pulled up because it doesn't have a lot of curb appeal. But we were SO glad we walked in. Tiny but elegantly conceived, we had a wonderful meal here. We chose a nice 2005 Medoc red from their well-thought out wine list. No menus. Our server, Megan described the 4 appetizers and 5 entries being served tonight. They featured many locally sourced ingredients. Everything, from the beautifully assembled salads to my wife's cod and my scallops was absolutely delicious and so tastefully presented. We finished with the pear and apricot tart with a dollop of the most delicious Vermont gelato. Many restaurants get away with charging TJ's prices but we felt that the quality of food, the presentation, the service and the romantic charm of T J Buckley's was worth every cent. We'll be back many times!

1  Thank TwoMuchTooSi
Reviewed November 28, 2013

This restaurant, in an old dining car, is a little gem for just a few diners each night. The menu seems to change depending on the owner's inventiveness that day, and precisely recited rather written down as part of tremendous service. The dishes are complex, well executed and priced accordingly. I have to admit that I probably chose poorly on the night and found the rabbit a little tasteless but I can't fault the technique and creativity. Well worth a reservation for a special occasion.

1  Thank Paul C