“Don't believe the hype....”
Review of Shin La

Shin La
Ranked #32 of 111 Restaurants in Brattleboro
Cuisines: Asian
Reviewed January 11, 2012

Visited on a weeknight ...not busy at all...Server recommended Korean Octopus. Food was quick and hot. Octopus was very rubbery - and the octopus was lacking in the dish for $14.50. Server inattentive throughout the meal. No checkback at all.

Chicken soup for an appetizer was hot but lacked any creative flair.

Interior is tired and dated ...no music ... seemed even more stale as a result.

I would not go back or recommend.

All in with tip ... $26.....

Not worth it.

1  Thank familymanBoston_MASS
Esther K, Guest Relations Manager at Shin La, responded to this reviewResponded December 18, 2013

Typical weeknights are not very busy for us. It is Brattleboro, Vermont, afterall!

I am sorry you did not like our spicy octopus dish. It is normally a highly popular dish! I am also sorry you did not like our Korean chicken and rice soup. It is widely known in town to be the best medicine for a cold around! The recipe is home-style and was passed from (the owner) Mrs. Kim's late mother.

If I may, I suggest you try our spicy pork or chicken dish (Daeji Gogi Bokeum) or our miso soup with spinach and extra firm tofu.

I apologize for your server's inattentiveness. That is simply unacceptable. We will continue to provide feedback and training to our staff.

Our interiors are dated because, well, we have not changed up our decor for YEARS! Can't argue with you on that one! :) Our focus is on serving great food and providing our guests with a memorable and home-y experience. We have chosen to not have music, which some might not fancy, but so far it has not been an issue. Delicious food and great conversation makes up for the lack of music!

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback for our restaurant. We really do appreciate it and hope that you will give us another try.

P.S. -- My apologies for the incredibly late response, but better late than never, right? :)

Reviewed December 28, 2011

Great Jap Che Bab, Shu Mai and Bi Bim Bab. Friendly staff, cozy and great milk shakes too, go figure

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback for our restaurant. We might just be the only Korean and Japanese restaurant that offers frappes! It pairs perfectly with our savory dishes! We really do appreciate your thoughts and hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed October 20, 2011

This isn't a sushi restaurant. It's a Korean restaurant that has sushi, as well as some other Japanese dishes. But the really good stuff is the Korean food. Great dumplings, wonderful bibimbap and my favorite - the spicy Korean soups. Highly recommended.

So glad to hear you enjoyed our Yakimandoo, Bibimbap, and spicy Korean soups! Have you tried our Gopdol Bibimbap in the sizzling hot stone dish? Or our spicy kimchi chigae (one of our specials)? Our Japanese dishes are also well-loved, but Korean food is top of the list for many as well!

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback for our restaurant. We really do appreciate it and hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed August 4, 2011

Good sushi. Nuff said... oh wait I need fifty characters... hmmmm good service too!

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback for our restaurant. So glad you enjoy our sushi and service. We really do appreciate it and we hope to see you again sometime soon!

Reviewed October 19, 2010

Frist of all, they seemed to be very disorganized with their orders. We ordered two of the same thing. One showed up at our table, and the waitress (sweet girl, but...) was completely disoriented about what the other person had ordered. It took them long enough to get everything in order. By the time she finally figured it all out, we had already tried the food on the one plate. And, we ended up cancelling our second order. The food was terrible. It was cold, stale, and just really really bad...

Unfortunately, this was the only meal we had in Brattleboro, and I sincerely hope the other places are not half as bad!

1  Thank iztehtravelbug

Thank you for your review. I am so sorry to hear that your sushi order was not properly received in the kitchen. This is not a common occurrence and I do apologize for the mix-up. We try our very best to fix any mistakes that come about. I am not sure why your sushi was stale -- it should not have been and that is absolutely unacceptable. Each sushi roll is made fresh on the spot with orders. Please accept our sincerest apologies.