“Outstanding.”

Ranked #2 of 111 Restaurants in Brattleboro
Cuisines: American, French
Good for: Special occasions, Bar scene, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Peter Havens provides an elegant but relaxed atmosphere in which to enjoy chef/owner Zach Corbin's accomplished cuisine. The menu has French and Italian influences (always house-made pasta and gnocchi!) But always has Zach's own culinary flare. Locals and visitors alike enjoy the intimate setting and often enjoy dining at our bar, where we serve innovative and exciting specialty cocktails. Our wine list is eclectic and ever-changing, with an emphasis on natural wines from France, Italy, and the US. Reservations are recommended.
New Hampshire
“Outstanding.”
Reviewed December 29, 2009

There are rare occations when I dine and consider it an experience. I eat out often in NY, recently in Paris and when on the road (which is quite often). Peter Havens is one of those places where I find myself craving to go back to. Oddly, I had been absent for a few years and only recently returned. To my astonishment, it was just as good as I had remembered. I consider Peter Havens a great value simply because I end up talking about my experiene there long after Ive left. The atmosphere is welcoming and it is quite obvious that great attention to detail has been a priority. It is an efficiently run ship, however the staff seem to accomplish this effortlessly. There is great conversation from the staff and everyone seemed to be having a genuinely great time. All this said would not mean as much unless the food too, was outstanding... and it is. The escargo is one of my favorites and I couldnt find a better tasting serving in Paris. My steak was full of flavor and cooked to perfection. Even down to the butter and bread - full of flavor.
Overall, wheather Im sitting at the bar or more formally at a table, my experience at Peter Havens is just that - an incredible experience. Its such a joy to have it close by.

1 Thank montage

So.NH
“One of the best restaurants in northern New England”
Reviewed October 3, 2009

I've been eating at Peter Haven's for about 15 years, but not often (maybe 2 or 3 times a year.) Having just had another remarkable dinner there last week, I am amazed at the consistently fine atmosphere, service, and especially food. There were four in our party. Two had the venison in a wine sauce, which was so sublimely delicious I very nearly licked my plate clean. Another had scallops, which were the size of golf balls and cooked rare in the middle, with a sweet buerre blanc sauce accompanied by slightly crisp green vegetables. Another had the swordfish, which was melt-in-your mouth perfect, with an herb butter sauce (not even slightly dried out, by the way). Tom, the host and part owner, is a skillful raconteur, and if the place is not too busy will come by your table with a story or two. For the most relaxed meal, avoid Fridays and Saturdays, which can be distractingly busy. Meals at the bar are a fine solution for singles (you'll meet some interesting people there). Few people order the soup, which is a shame because it's been exquisite every time I've had it. Four unqualified stars.

Massachusetts
“Better Than Mediocre, but not much”
Reviewed October 2, 2009

In an area that contains many mediocre or worse restaurants, Peter Havens could be labeled "good" but it really is ordinary. I dined there on a friend's recommendation and was disappointed, given that he gave it raves. But aside from the relatively good crab cake appetizer, everything was blah at best. The grilled swordfish was served with a compound butter, and both were tasteless, the former being somewhat dry and the butter, supposedly filled with herbs and spices, lacking in flavor. My dinner companion gave me a taste of her duck, and it was no more than passable with a forgettable sauce. In my eyes, T.J. Buckley is by far the better choice in fine dining in Brattleboro, though cramped and somewhat pricey.

3 Thank mavenMassachusetts
NJ
“Excellent again”
Reviewed August 15, 2009

Ate at Peter Havens last night...The mussels, quail and vegetable pea soup appetizers were all fabulous. I had the tuna special for dinner, with wasabi...mouth watering. Others at the table had duck that was perfectly prepared as well as the lamb dinner. We followed up with multiple desserts, highlighted by vanilla ice cream with butternut topping and mango sorbet. Always a winner when in the area. Do not miss this restaurant!!!

Massachusetts
“Wow! Now that's fine dining!”
Reviewed August 1, 2009

One of the best restaurants in VT and would stack up well with most urban fare. Prices are high but the food is fabulous and the staff friendly and attentive. A real treat if you want a special night out. Atmosphere is pleasant.