“Do not pass this place up!!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Peter Havens Restaurant

Peter Havens Restaurant
Ranked #2 of 110 Restaurants in Brattleboro
Cuisines: American
Good for: Local cuisine, Bar scene, Business meetings, Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Peter Havens provides an elegant but relaxed atmosphere in which to enjoy chef/owner Zach Corbin's accomplished cuisine. The menu has French and Italian influences (always house-made pasta and gnocchi!) But always has Zach's own culinary flare. Locals and visitors alike enjoy the intimate setting and often enjoy dining at our bar, where we serve innovative and exciting specialty cocktails. Our wine list is eclectic and ever-changing, with an emphasis on natural wines from France, Italy, and the US. Reservations are recommended.
“Do not pass this place up!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 13, 2013

The atmosphere here is vibrant! Lovely jazz playing, glasses clinking...extremely comfortable and inviting. I had salmon, my friend had lamb--both cooked to perfection and not overly "sauced". Dessert was exquisite. Zach has done an amazing job filling very big shoes!! I'm even going to say that the four or five meals I've had here are by far the best meals I've had in Brattleboro!

• Visited April 2013
1 Thank Foodgloriousfoood

Toronto, Canada
“Wow”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 13, 2013

This restaurant is small but mighty. One of the best meals I have had, not just recently but overall. Service was exacting. Ambience was just right. Meal done to perfection. Nice wine selection. It only accomodates about 40 people, so make sure to book well in advance. I would go out of my way if I was in the neighborhood again. Prices not out of line for the value. Very special.

• Visited October 2012
1 Thank jazzman008can
Brattleboro, Vermont
“Yummy!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 9, 2013

Heard a lot about Peter Haven from locals and this was a first visit. Came with a large group so food took a while (expected when food is great). Overall, my meal was great (trout and shared dessert; chocolate torte is the best dessert there). Average price is about $30 for an entree; customer service was superb. Peter Haven is small and has an intimate atmosphere with dim lights. Nice restaurant in a small town.

• Visited April 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Marlboro, Vermont, United States
“Even Better... Top Five of My Life”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 11, 2013

I've been eating at Peter Havens for years, and am in agreement with the vast majority of comments on here, that it is simply one of the best restaurants anywhere. Still, I think a lot of people are aware that the restaurant recently changed hands, and for many I'm sure they're wondering if this means a change in what one might expect. The answer to that question is, "yes."

The previous owners were two of the finest operators I've ever had the chance to experience, and I wondered if Zach, the new owner, could fill those gigantic shoes. My wife and I had the pleasure of dinner at Peter Havens this past Saturday, and I simply had my socks knocked off. Chef Zach has taken the incredible foundation built over nearly two decades and raise the bar considerably. It's not just that Peter Havens remains the best restaurant in town, or in the region, it has simply become a world class operation.

The service was spectacular; the environment remains so welcoming; and the food was of a level I don't think Southern Vermont has experienced before. Peter Havens has risen to a level that begs questions of when the New York Times will be visiting. I'm not kidding.

We enjoyed:

Bread and wonderful infused olive oil.

Mussels: They changed my wife's life. She's never been a big one for seafood, and she ate every last bit on the plate.

Seared Pork Belly: Cooked perfectly, crispy on the outside and melting on the inside, served with an Asian barbecue and white bean cassolette. Freaking perfect.

Breast of Chicken with Herb Veloute: Honestly, it's hard to impress me with chicken, while at the same time I consider it to be the halmark of a great chef. Zach did not miss a beat with this one. The chicken was prepared perfectly and the vegetables we beautiful and still retaining fresh snap, while being cooked exactly as I like them. Still, what makes the dish is the sauce. You just don't see chefs work with veloute anymore, and I think that's because it's a complicated sauce. While seeming so simple it is a high wire act that can easily pass over into the world of being pasty where it should be... well velvety. This one was perfection.

Braised Veal Shank: Well... this is where I move into a a whole different world of respect for Zach. Look, braised dishes are usually an easy layup for a chef... And as such, many just mail it in, but Zack's attention to detail is obvious in this preparation. Again though, it's the sauce... Honestly, I don't know when, or where Zach sold his soul, but it's not possible to make a sauce this good without having done a deal with the devil. The mouth feel was something that just rocked my world. I should be clear, I'm a professional chef, with AAA Four Diamond and NYT Four Star restaurants under my belt, and this sauce nearly made me hang up my apron and throw away my clogs. Simply put... this is one of the top five dishes I've had in my entire life.

• Visited March 2013
Hampton, New Hampshire
“Fantastic even after Management Change”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 1, 2013

Still one of the best restaurants around. Was somewhat cautious to go with Tom not working the room anymore but the food is still phenomenal and the atmosphere lively and exciting. The new Management really did the heavy lifting to ensure the transition was smooth and no drop off in quality or efficiency was lost. Only complaint was the loss of the delicious bleu cheese that used to be served with the salad course! If that was brought back it would be perfect!

• Visited January 2013