“Tried So Hard To Love... Will Not Return :(”

Whetstone Station Restaurant and Brewery
Ranked #7 of 113 Restaurants in Brattleboro
Cuisines: American, Contemporary, Pub, Brew Pub
Good for: Scenic view
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: Whetstone Station Restaurant and Brewery combines a large casual restaurant and open air rooftop bier garten, with a small experimental nano-brewery, all located right on the Connecticut River in Vermont. We offer an "inspired pub fare" style menu, with everything from small bites for a few bucks to full entrees. Along with one, always changing unique craft beer of their own they offer dozens of guest craft beers on draft and specialty drinks, all in an amazing waterfront location. The unique round building has been restored into a beautiful fire-lit space with a contemporary and industrial vibe. Indoor and outdoor dining, perched above the river, alongside a steel bridge and nestled between the green mountains make the amazing location a "don't miss" on any visit through Vermont.
Reviewed January 3, 2015

I have visited Vermont several times in the last year and every single time, I have visited Whetstone. I absolutely WANT to love this place - great atmosphere and beer selection and oh, that view! The first time I visited, it was a pretty poor experience, but one of the owners commented on my experience via TripAdvisor asking that I give them another chance for a 'true Whetstone Experience'. I considered this and returned LAST New Year's day to good service... but a trip later, in April, another very lackluster dining experience followed. My trip on the first of this year assured that sadly, it isn't meant to be.

They were absurdly busy, so I was surprised and excited to be sat in about 15 minutes. My excitement, however, faded very quickly. We sat for 25 minutes without anyone stopping over at our table to acknowledge us; no beer list, no water. Then, I noticed my water glass had a MASSIVE deep, long crack in it and it was abrasive/jagged to the touch. It would have injured me had I not noticed this. Thirty plus minutes after being sat, a woman, our waitress (who did not give us her name), came over to take out drink orders. We informed her that we did not have a beer list and I also commented on the state of my water glass. She took my glass and went to get the beer list. She didn't come back for at least another 10 minutes. When she did, she kept trying to convey that they were busy (which I understood obviously) and that there were only 3 servers on. I felt bad, truly, I did... I, however, don't like feeling that sort of 'grief' when I am dining, you know? I did not need to incessantly hear that it 'was busy' as an excuse. She took our drink orders and then, you guessed it, didn't come back for probably another 10 plus minutes. We had been there for 45 minutes to an hour before we'd even ordered our food.

I was sad to see that the duck nachos were no longer offered. We ordered the spinach and artichoke dip (surprisingly lackluster), Vermont cheddar ale soup (this was absolutely delicious - however, our 'bowls' of soup were incredibly small. I was very surprised as we both purposely ordered the larger portion), station fries (both undercooked and overcooked)... my husband ordered fish & chips (he said they were okay, but not worth the $17) and I ordered chicken schnitzel which was so lemony, I felt like I was eating a plate of citrus. Also, my dish was mostly the 'seasonal vegetable' of poorly cooked asparagus.

We politely requested silverware (as we had none at our table) and someone else (not our server) came over and semi-rudely gave the excuse that the silverware had just come out from being washed which was why we had none. By the time our entrees came, we gave them a taste and just asked for take out boxes to pack up and get out of there. The beer was good, but not good enough to make this even a 2 star visit. I am the *easiest* person to please when it comes to dining out (I don't do it often and honestly, don't expect too much when I do), but I sat there and left there disgusted and underwhelmed.

When the check came, I knew it would come with a tablet to fill out a survey regarding our experience, as I had done it during other experiences there. Our tablet was turned off, so we powered it up and gave our feedback. Our waitress seemed a little shocked that we were filling it out. While only a couple of days ago and I wouldn't expect to hear anything, we have not received a response to the feedback that we provided.

I talked about this experience over and over during this vacation - it sort of ate at me. I am *SO* saddened, because I have tried so hard to love this restaurant. A beautiful venue, an excellent brewery, good ideas for dishes... but NOTHING has been executed the right way and I cannot afford to keep wasting my money or time on this place. :( This time around we spent just shy of $90 before tipping our server. I would potentially... potentially give this place one more shot if someone from the establishment were to reach out to me and offer my husband and I a free meal or giftcard or something to attempt to 'make it right'. I elected not to speak with management on that evening because as someone who is already socially anxious, I felt it would be uncomfortable. I did, however, leave my feedback in the survey. It is so disheartening because even after this experience (I do not dine out often - my husband and I are very selective when it comes to 'nights out', so that made this even more sad. A rare occurrence/treat was such a poor experience) there is a part of me that is sad to know it is not worth the return trip. One of the worst dining experiences I've had in a location/venue that I feel COULD be so great... Too bad...

6  Thank MaBoogins
David H, Owner at Whetstone Station Restaurant and Brewery, responded to this reviewResponded January 9, 2015

Hi There,
I'm so sorry you had such a bad experience. I truly wish I could have had the opportunity to remedy the situation while you were here. If its any consolation, we do learn from our mistakes and while your comments sting, we will use them with our staff and management to do a better job in the future.

I did respond to your tablet feedback (thank you for filling it out), but I guess I missed you by a day. I sent you another note today and hope you will read it and get back to me. Thank you. --David

Write a ReviewReviews (1,053)

Reviewed January 3, 2015

My sons and I ate at Whetstone during a recent trip to VT, based on the positive trip advisor reviews. We arrived at 5:45 New Year's day, and waited 45 minutes to be seated. (Reservations aren't accepted.) This is a busy place! The atmosphere is very pleasant, with large windows and gas fireplaces. We all ordered the Brew burgers, based on recommendations (I had mine "fully loaded" with the house fries), and they were good. The service was excellent, and, as others had stated, diners are asked to review their experiences (on iPad-like devises) when presented with the check. The only negative is the parking. The restaurant has a very small lot, which was full. There's a public lot across the street, which was also full. We ended up parking in a dark area on the other side of the railroad tracks. That said, we'll definitely return the next time we're in Brattleboro and arrive a bit earlier!

Reviewed January 2, 2015

This was our first visit in this restaurant and we found it interesting. We had a 25 minute wait to get seated because this was January 1, and the place was packed. We enjoyed their sampler of four in house brewed beers, all of them were good. All three of us ordered Brewer's hamburgers, loaded, and "pink" with fries and salad. All angus beef patties were burned, and well done. Try their blue cheese salad dressing, awesome. The wait staff was great and accomodating.

Reviewed December 31, 2014

We only stopped in for a beer but the people were very friendly, the owner equally friendly. It was early evening so we couldn't enjoy the water view, maybe in the spring.

Reviewed December 31, 2014

My cousin from Putney recommended the place so we went. It was busy as the dickens. We had a fairly long wait to get seated. When we did we had a fairly long wait to get noticed by a server (not good), and it took a fair amount of time to get food and drink for the five of us. When the food came, mine was cool, a couple of the soups were not hot as well. Tasted good but room temp is not good. Noisy was the rule. Upstairs seating was closed for the season and that was unfortunate because it was a nice view of the river. overall, it was OK. Their beers were OK. I'm particular about craft beers and (I stress for my tastes) it was an OK brewery. From a food perspective it was OK pub food. I don't know if they considered their food as upscale pub food or a "real" restaurant but it was just OK for my tastes. I would probably not go back there. And I know that the rest of my party would not go back for food. Beer yes, not food.