“I don't understand the negative reviews...”

Whetstone Station Restaurant and Brewery
Ranked #2 of 111 Restaurants in Brattleboro
Cuisines: American, Contemporary, Pub, Brew Pub
Good for: Scenic view
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: Whetstone Station Restaurant and Brewery combines a large casual restaurant and open air rooftop bier garten, with a small experimental nano-brewery, all located right on the Connecticut River in Vermont. We offer an "inspired pub fare" style menu, with everything from small bites for a few bucks to full entrees. Along with one, always changing unique craft beer of their own they offer dozens of guest craft beers on draft and specialty drinks, all in an amazing waterfront location. The unique round building has been restored into a beautiful fire-lit space with a contemporary and industrial vibe. Indoor and outdoor dining, perched above the river, alongside a steel bridge and nestled between the green mountains make the amazing location a "don't miss" on any visit through Vermont.
Richmond Hill, Ontario
“I don't understand the negative reviews...”
Reviewed May 19, 2014

Although it was a busy night, we were shown to a window seat away from the central area. We were away from the noise, and afforded an excellent upstream view of the river. On a warmer day, we would have been outside on the patio below us.

Service was excellent. Our server was very cognizant of the myriad offerings available. I just wish I had the stamina to try several more of them. Beervana!

I had a salad and one of the burgers. I was impressed that I could order it rare (I hope this doesn't get them in trouble). It was good, but not "knock your socks off good". My wife had the spinach salad and cioppino. She really enjoyed the entree, but spent quite a bit of time sifting out the "dead" spinach from the salad, before abandoning the dish. Interestingly, the server made no comment when clearing the dish.

We would definitely return. The many available brews are reminiscent of Washington and Oregon coastal pubs. The venue has an incredible location, and the food is better than the usual "pub grub".

• Visited March 2014

“Avoid Completely”
Reviewed May 19, 2014

So my partner and I decided to go to Whetstone because we heard about how great it was. We arrived around 4:30 on Saturday and were surprised it wasn't super crowed and happy as well. Sadly a waiter never came to our table to take our order. We knew what we wanted to eat 2 minutes after we arrived. As we both looked around we noticed many of the people working there were walking around and doing absolutely nothing. We also noticed plenty of other people looking around and wondering if they were going to get service as well. At 4:46 we both decided that we should just leave and that is exactly what we did. 15 minutes of waiting for a waiter to greet you is too long. It would of possibly made sense if it was busy but it wasn't busy at all. I have no plans to ever return to this establishment.

Visited May 2014
1 Thank HH361
Helmetta, New Jersey, United States
“Winter weekend geat away”
Reviewed May 19, 2014

We went up to ski for the weekend and had dinner in this place. What an amazing restaurant. Staff was friendly, food was fresh and made to order. The restaurant is kid friendly which is always a plus when traveling with children.They also pride themselves on a micro brewary which they are very proud of. Seem like there were also a lot of locals which is always a good sign. I would definitely go back.

• Visited December 2013
New York City, New York
“Empty and No Menus”
Reviewed May 18, 2014

I convinced my husband to take the time during a busy weekend to try out Whetstone. We arrived at 1130AM, opening time. The restaurant was mainly empty. A group of ten was seated just ahead of us. Then we stepped up to the podium...and waited...and exchanged glances with the hostess...who sensed our impatience. She said, "We'll seat you when we have menus available. We just seated a large party." We were incredulous. Thinking ahead to how the kitchen might respond to an order (Darn, where did we put that ground beef...who took the plates?), especially with a large party in front of us, we turned around and left. We found plenty of other places in town to have a nice lunch including Tulip Cafe and Amy's Bakery. Seriously, not enough menus? Who is running this place?

• Visited May 2014
2 Thank Andrea2Vt
Acton, Massachusetts
“Good All Around at a Reasonable Price”
Reviewed May 14, 2014

Went for dinner - The food was good (steak tips were very good, fries OK), beer is good with a broad selection, prices are reasonable,and the service was friendly and attentive. The restaurant is comfortable, clean and the view is probably very nice (it was dark). It's worth a try. While I might try a higher rated restaurant the next time I'm in town, l would go again.

• Visited May 2014