“Very disappointed”

Ranked #1 of 111 Restaurants in Brattleboro
Cuisines: American, Contemporary, Pub, Brew Pub
Good for: Scenic view
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: Whetstone Station Restaurant and Brewery combines a large casual restaurant and open air rooftop bier garten, with a small experimental nano-brewery, all located right on the Connecticut River in Vermont. We offer an "inspired pub fare" style menu, with everything from small bites for a few bucks to full entrees. Along with one, always changing unique craft beer of their own they offer dozens of guest craft beers on draft and specialty drinks, all in an amazing waterfront location. The unique round building has been restored into a beautiful fire-lit space with a contemporary and industrial vibe. Indoor and outdoor dining, perched above the river, alongside a steel bridge and nestled between the green mountains make the amazing location a "don't miss" on any visit through Vermont.
MA
“Very disappointed”
Reviewed October 19, 2013 via mobile

This was our first visit to Whetstones and we will never go back. The service was terrible...we sat at the bar and it took 10 minutes to get an overpriced beer and it was not busy at all. The place smelled of stale beer, the bar was dirty and there were flies everywhere. The only plus is the location and view.

3 Thank SueInMA

London, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Good but busy”
Reviewed October 19, 2013

Food good pub grub and better to get there early as gets busy on Friday and Saturday nights. Enjoyed the fish and hamburgers

Visited September 2013
Carlisle, Mass.
“Whetstone Restaurant”
Reviewed October 16, 2013

We took our son back to Landmark College after the long weekend. We had been to Whetstone's end of the summer, and it was where our boy wanted to dine last night. Our first experience was nice, so we returned. We were able to sit outside overlooking the bridge and the water. It was so nice! And, the food was very good. We all thoroughly enjoyed our meals and the ambience sitting outside...We are looking forward to our next visit there!

• Visited October 2013
Woonsocket, Rhode Island
“Good beer, long wait, argumentative servers”
Reviewed October 15, 2013

Doing a bit of research for places to eat in/around Brattleboro, I ended up reading about this place and became really excited. Great reviews, a great list of beers and tempting food? We decided we had to go to Whetstone. My husband and I visited on the 13th of this month, first checking it out and deciding it was way too busy. We ended up coming back several hours later. We were told that it would be a 45 minute wait; it ended up being closer to an hour, but that was not a problem for us at all. We walked up the street and hung out at the co-op for a while. We went back, were seated and waited for a solid 15 minutes before someone said, "I'll be with you in a moment". Someone else ended up coming over to start taking our drink orders and while this was going on, the server who had initially stopped by came over. The two servers awkwardly babbled for several minutes in front us over who should be serving our table and there was a joking dig of, "I'm taking your next big party table". As the two walked away, however, we could still hear them talking about who should get the table. It was just strange, uncomfortable behaviour to witness. My husband I were just sort of sitting there, not knowing what to do, or say. Our server was clearly uneducated about their beers (unfortunate, as they are a brewery as well/hubby is a brewer himself and pretty enthusiastic about the offerings of the craft beer world). My husband asked what something on the menu meant and our server told him, "It means that we can do a short pour that beer... but who the hell wants a short pour?" My husband was a bit taken aback, as he did, infact, want a short pour (a pretty smart option when you're drinking high alcohol beers, no?) The beer was delicious (I had Wolaver's Brown Ale & hubby had Sixpoint's Spice of Life to start, followed by another equally as delicious beer)... but it took so long to get each drink. My husband and I were literally watching our beers up at the bar, losing their head, with our server no where to be seen. That was bothersome. The food was good, but 'just good'. I had the Porter Mac & Cheese and my husband had the Brewer's burger. Normal eats as far as taste. The starter that we had was really, really good though (duck nachos). I would definitely consider returning, but I don't feel as though my 'expectations' were met.

• Visited October 2013
3 Thank MaBoogins
TimBrady, Owner at Whetstone Station Restaurant and Brewery, responded to this review, October 22, 2013
Sorry about your experience Columbus Day weekend - that was your servers final shift with us. We have high standards for service that were clearly not met during your visit. We hope you'll come on back and let us show you what a genuine Whetstone experience looks like.
Stratford Ct
“Million dollar view”
Reviewed October 15, 2013

This is an average food and beverage venue with decent service.If you are looking for a beer and bar food venue you will not be disappointed. What makes this operation better than most is the fantastic view of the Connecticut River.You are literally at water's edge. The views across the river are unspoiled wilderness. Foliage season must provide a spectacular panorama.

• Visited September 2013