“worst hotel I have ever stayed in, bar none”
Review of Econo Lodge

Econo Lodge
Ranked #10 of 10 Hotels in Brattleboro
Reviewed July 3, 2012

I was unfortunate enough to have to stay here on a short trip to VT, and had my planned stay been longer, should have walked straight out. It is situated right on the main road, attached to so-called outlet mall (consisting of a couple of grocery stores, fast food joints and a gas station). The Reception area is tiny, doubles as Business Center, where you have to stand to use a pc badly in need of repair as not all the keys work; and as the breakfast area, with 3 small tables.

The room itself, purporting to be non-smoking, stank, was dark and dingy and appeared not to have been cleaned in a very long time. The carpet was stained, the tiny shower had a door which would not close and the sealant around the edge needed replacing, as the rubber was hanging off. Paintwork was grimy and chipped. The floor of the shower just looked grimy.

There is a large outdoor pool, although nobody was using it, being right on the roadside.

A group of bikers sat outside, shouting loudly until the small hours, and then started up early next morning, waking up everyone.

Breakfast was bleak, with concentrate fruit juice and nothing fresh at all, and barely any milk.

Downtown was over a mile away, and without a car, you would need a cab to eat out, as although there is a bus, I saw none at all whilst I was there, and anyway they stop running early evening. A pizza joint along the road had poor food and worse service; thank goodness for Walgreens, where the staff were friendly and helpful.

Cab drivers and locals said to a man they would not send anyone there they knew.

This place seems typical of independently run hotels/motels such as this, where the owners or franchise holders will not make any investment to improve the property. There are no amenities for guests at all. Altogether, a miserable stay.

It may suit passing truck trade for a quick night's rest, but otherwise would not be recommended.

Room Tip: Don't go there
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank balticbash
econolodgevt402, General Manager at Econo Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded September 26, 2012

thank you for staying with us. sorry for your confusion i don't know if (danish, bagel, wheat and white bread toast, cereal 2 kind (raisin brand & cornflakes), milk (vita-D) , egg, sausages & bacon, 2 flavor Belgium waffle, 4 kind of 100% juice (Orange, apple, cranberry & kiwi Strawberry) and yogurt (flavored)) items are we serve from since august 2011 and if this is not the breakfast then should i serve STAKE AND POTATO. if you consider next door shopping plaza as outlet then its not my fault, because out let is 100 feet away diagonally across from our motel. Another fact is no one can run without gas (GAS-STATION) & (FAST-FOOD) they are the back bone busy life of USA. i don't know the racist cab driver cant drive without gas. you booked smoking room single queen which obviously smell smoke sorry not mildew . single rooms are small and was renovated in 2010 i specially upload the picture of the room. and one more thing if their is any problem we take care instantly.
manager

There are newer reviews for Econo Lodge

Reviewed June 18, 2012

This motel said breakfast until 9 am. I got there at 8:15 and the woman was cleaning it up. She was rude and unaccomidating. This would have been a pretty good breakfast if you could get to eat any of it. I am on vacation so I did not want to get up at 6 in the am to eat. We stayed there for 6 days and actually ate there 2 days. My daughter was there and the rude woman shut the juice machine off right in the middle of her fixing her breakfast. Told her she could not have any it was frozen. I had just poured a glass of it three seconds ago. The pool was not filled and at the end of the week it still was not filled. We called the motel in advance to make sure the pool was ready. They assured us it was. Middle of June we are there for a week with 10 people in our party and 4 being children with nothing to do in the evening. What a drag.

Room Tip: There was not a fitness center or a restaurant
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank tina k

thank you for staying with us. we value our guest importance but not lie. sorry as i am the manager i do like to talk to my guest and do like to serve breakfast to all of them. and every day on front desk up to 9am is my duty on every service. there is only myself and maintenance Peron up to 9am then all the other staff clock-in after 9am. so their is no way to be breakfast close at 8:15 am. I am telling with the proof we have records of security camera which also monitor lobby and breakfast area 24/7. every day breakfast cleaning person clean breakfast at 9:15AM not earlier then that. once breakfast stop serving on at it time and area is clean, sorry we do not serve any individuals. as every year after winter we wash the pool and fill new water, check pumps and filter, chemicals in the pool. we open 2 day before memorial day every year. we did this year same thing but suddenly problem stick i fill the pool up and next day in the morning i saw my pool was quarterly empty lost about 10000 Gal of water overnight. i call the pool specialist he told me that circulation pipe crack and licking the water. so we empty the pool break the concrete pool layer replace the pipe patch up concrete paint and refill the pool took another 17 days. still even at the time of check in we told you and gave you the option to cancel reservation without any charge for your comfort.

Reviewed May 7, 2012

staff was friendly and helpful , we had great time,big pool but close, we are going to comback in summer when pool will be open. We had tight breakfast 2 different kinds of flavour waffle and egg & sausage hard to believe at econolodg. it was more then our expectation. We don’t care what other people said but hotel is best and we are definitely going to stay again and will recommand our friends too. We had great time.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Gheorghe B

it was really great to have you as guest at our motel. and thank you for your (comment/compliment) and being our guest.

Reviewed April 7, 2012

Was pleasantly by suprised clean large room, But in the morning we were refused any breakfast at 9:15am being told breakfast ended at 9:00. In room hotel brochure read that breakfast was available till 10:00am. Inn keeper lied and said he told me at check in he informed us of of the time of breakfast. He barely spoke to us at check in and certainly never told us anything about about breakfast. That was my ONLY fault with this motel, but all I wanted was a bowl of cereal and I allowed nothing but attitude. Inexpencive motel VERY CHEAP INNKEEPER Never will stay at an Econo Lodge anywhere.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business
5  Thank Fastback67
Reviewed March 27, 2012

It started the moment we pulled in the lot to park. The inn keeper comes out and asks us what we are doing. We're checking in. Then he just stood there and followed us. Strange but could have been forgoten. We got to our room, outdated but ok size. 2 of group of 3 got showers than a banging at our door. Same guy from b4 rushes in and questions if we're dumping water on the floor of his bathroom. No. Some water was out of tub from wet bodies. Another guy runs in and they start talking in Arabic, rude! Lucky for me, I understand a little. Water was leaking through the uncaulked tub faucet onto an electrical box,FIRE HAZARD!!! No apology and moved us to a far inconvienient, smaller room. Next day, ok breakfast than back to the room. About 2 hrs b4 check out, a lady from the motel stopped and staired into my window until I started to go to the door, than she made some guestures like she didn't mean it and quickly walked away. I had enough and quickly got out of the Twilight Zone. You can bet that I'll never stay there again.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Ridn4life

thank you for staying with us. sorry for the trouble and damage you gave to us and our hotel by flooding bathroom and wen t on bathroom floor and then went on room floor and then it lick to our basement right on where our TV and other electronic item stored. and still we changed your room to different room. giving the instruction to our maintenance person that you felt like we are talking in ARABIC we will consider (racism). and none of my staff has time to steer on any one. when we point you the damage you made to our hotel you threat us by putting bad reviews online.

Reviewed March 8, 2012

This is an old fashioned motor court, with a pool in the center. I think if I'd come in summer, I would have given it a four. It happened I came on a cold night in an otherwise mild winter. The room is not heated when there is no guest, so it was pretty chilly when I got there, and even two or three hours later. Their heating system leaves a lot to be desired. Can't adjust it, pulls in cold air because it wasn't properly insulated, and very noisy. So much so that you can't hear the tv. And there was some mold in the bathroom. All the negatives aside, the staff was pleasant and efficient enough, and there was a decent breakfast. The bed was comfortable and the rate was very good. I'll try it again in warmer weather.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed February 27, 2012

The Econolodge in Brattleboro was a decent place to stay while in transit to skiing -as long as you're not looking for anything fancy. It was only about $55 p/night, and for that price it was clean and in a safe location. It was also conveniently located right off the highway (rt 91).
Simple breakfast was available in the lobby which included coffee, juice, toast, cereal and waffles.
The bed wasn't the greatest, but adequate.
Close to restaurants, gas and even Walgreens across the street.
All-in-all, a decent place to stay for the price. I'd recommend to anyone looking for a cheap place to stay on-route to skiing or other destination.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with family